Baby Names

Narrowing it Down *poll*

case56case56 member
edited March 2015 in Baby Names
Which name should we chose for our little girl? Surname is Gayle (pronounced Gale).

Or another other suggestions for a first name? We're from South Louisiana. Really prefer classic, Cajun/French or southern style names.

Middle name options are all family names: Adele, June, Mae

Narrowing it Down *poll* 89 votes

Lainey Adele
15% 14 votes
Madeline Mae
40% 36 votes
Adeline June
43% 39 votes

Re: Narrowing it Down *poll*

• I was going to suggest Madeline Adele but with the last name Gayle I don't know how well the Adele and last name sound right beside each other. But I do think that it sounds a bit better than Madeline Mae
  • The other two names I'm not as much of a fan of
  • Loading the player...
  • I have Madeline Adele on my list but wasn't sure if it was too long. I figured there's not many times that I'd use all three names, it would mostly be first middle, first last. I do understand the rhyme issue though :\ bummer too because it's the only name that my husband and I absolutely love!
  • It is a nice name, and realistically it's probably ok cause you're right you probably won't say the full name too often.
  • I didn't vote because I'm not really a fan of any of the combinations. I've looked up some other Cajun/French names and here's what I found... 

Cajun Names:
    Magnolia June
    Geraldine Adele 
    Geraldine Mae
    Evangeline June
    Evangeline Mae
    Sabine Adele
    Acadia Mae
    Acadia June

French Names:
    Adrienne June
    Amelie Adele
    Angelique Adele
    Angelique June
    Annabelle June
    Annabelle Mae
    Celeste June
    Colette Adele
    Colette June
    Georgette Adele
    Lisette Adele
    Marceline June
    Margot Adele
    Marguerite June
    Marielle June
    Renee Adele
    Simone Adele
    Suzette Adele
    Veronique June
    Virginie Mae
    Yvette Adele
    Yvonne Mae

I love the idea of a Cajun/French name for a child born in Louisiana so I guess I wanted to suggest some other names that seem more interesting than Adeline and Madeline, which are a bit too popular these days. Just my opinion. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    I love Adele for the middle name spot, not crazy about any of the first names though...Lainey is cute, not sure how it would age though. Madeline is kind of overdone and Adeline is popular and a little trendy.

I think Madeline Adele is better than Lainey Adele.

Georgia Adele
    Lucy Adele
    Amelia Adele
    Charlotte Adele
    Hattie Adele
    Rayna Adele
    Lila Adele
    Sophia Adele
    Maya Adele
    Chloe Adele
    Kyla Adele
    Gemma Adele
    Savannah Adele
    Audra Adele
    Cora Adele
    Elora Adele

• Loving the suggestions! Please keep them coming :)
  • How about just Lane as a first name? And you can still call her Lainey. I just agree with others who mentioned that Lainey is very juvenile an
  • How about just Lane as a first name? And you can still call her Lainey. I just agree with others who mentioned that Lainey is very juvenile an

I don't think that's a good idea. Lane is very masculine.
  • I agree. Also, my nephew's middle name is Lane.
  • I voted for Adeline June, but I can't stand the nickname Addy, which would more than likely stick. I love the idea of a Cajun/French name for someone from that region. I really like the suggestion of Magnolia June (nn Maggie). It's one of those names I love, but DH would never agree to. Evangline nn Evie is another favorite of mine.
  • What do y'all think of Adelyn Mae? I could picture a sweet little southern girl called Addie Mae. (we're an outdoor family.. hunt, fish, etc).

I know most aren't a fan of that spelling, but let me explain my thought with it: I really want to incorporate Adele (but rhyming issue with Gayle), my middle name is Lynn. I was thinking Adelyn could be a mix of that and could insure correct pronunciation.

Adele is from my husband's side of the family and Mae is from mine.
    My only worry is that the name might be too common right now :\ I'm glad I at least have 17 more weeks to work this out. 
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited March 2015
    case56 said:

What do y'all think of Adelyn Mae? I could picture a sweet little southern girl called Addie Mae. (we're an outdoor family.. hunt, fish, etc).

I know most aren't a fan of that spelling, but let me explain my thought with it: I really want to incorporate Adele (but rhyming issue with Gayle), my middle name is Lynn. I was thinking Adelyn could be a mix of that and could insure correct pronunciation.

My only worry is that the name might be too common right now :\ I'm glad I at least have 17 more weeks to work this out. 
    Adelyn is a proper variant of Adeline, so it is a viable option. If this is the name that you prefer than you should use it. 

I, personally, do not care for the nickname Addie, or Maddie for Madeline either...which is why I suggested so many other names in my earlier post. Both names (and their respective nicknames) are a bit too popular right now, I feel she'd be one of several. If that doesn't bother you then disregard this portion of my commentary and go with your gut.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • case56 said:

What do y'all think of Adelyn Mae? I could picture a sweet little southern girl called Addie Mae. (we're an outdoor family.. hunt, fish, etc).

It is ridiculously common right now.

Here's the thing, regional dialects are generally going to pronounce Adeline as Adelynn anyway. Especially in the south. So, spell it right so she has a properly spelled name when she's an adult. If she decides to go into a white collar profession, a "southern" name could hurt her. Spell it right.

Signed, 
    girl with a misspelled name.
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited March 2015

case56 said:

Here's the thing, regional dialects are generally going to pronounce Adeline as Adelynn anyway. Especially in the south. So, spell it right so she has a properly spelled name when she's an adult. If she decides to go into a white collar profession, a "southern" name could hurt her. Spell it right.

Signed, 
    Behind the Name shows the spelling Adelyn as a proper variant for Adeline... so she really wouldn't be spelling it wrong, just using an alternate spelling that is still acceptable. Although I do agree with you that Adeline looks better and will still be pronounced the same way, 95% of the time.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • brita722 said:

case56 said:

Signed, 
    Behind the Name shows the spelling Adelyn as a proper variant for Adeline... so she really wouldn't be spelling it wrong, just using an alternate spelling that is still acceptable. Although I do agree with you that Adeline looks better and will still be pronounced the same way, 95% of the time.
    Yeah, but, it just looks so wrong. 

Sorry guys, I can't support -lyn variant endings. Especially because people seem to by doing the whole I like this name and I'm going to take -lyn on to it. 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Kate0034 said:

What about Madeline June? I love that!

Me too

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"