Baby Names
Options

baby names

I'm due April 28th, but the doctor told me I should be at least 3 weeks early, which puts me on April 7th. I'm team green so I don't know what I'm having yet. I've decided on the name River Elizabeth for a girl. And Gabriel James for a boy. The only issue I have with the boys name is: I LOVE the name James always have. But its my ex boyfriends name (not the father). Nobody knows its his middle name except me. Would it be an issue for y'all to have your child to have your ex's name even if you decided on it before you met him?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: baby names

• Options
     I think it might be weird for the people who know your story, but most wont.

i love love gabriel james it is an  awesome name.

river not so much especially for a girl
  • Options
    I think it's weird. I don't care how much I like a name, I couldn't give my child my ex's name. My friends would think I was insane and MH would never go for it. With that said, I like Gabriel James and Elizabeth River. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the name James but I don't think my husband would be thrilled if I picked part of an exes name for our kids and vise versa... So for that reason I probably wouldn't use it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Enh....It was your ex's middle name? I mean. I'd get it if your ex was Gabriel, not using Gabriel, but James is such a common name I'm not sure I'd worry about it. I guess it depends on how long ago the relationship was and how it ended.
  • Options
    I would toss River. Personally I wouldn't use an ex's name but then again if you had your heart set on it before you even met him then maybe it's ok? All I know is that you better disclose that to the father of your baby because if he finds that out after the fact it may not go over so well.
  • Options
    Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited March 2015
    So you love the name James (I do as well), and you want to use it for your son's middle name. But your ex-boyfriend's first name was James? 

Hmmm, I suppose it would depend on how serious that past relationship was, how it ended, and if you are still in contact with him. Not to mention how secure your husband/partner is in your marriage/relationship and if he knows your ex-boyfriend, etc. 

If you were together a long time and had a miserable breakup then it might strike people in your life as odd if you were to use his name. But, if you weren't that serious or at least had an amicable split then it might not be so strange. If you still talk to him though, that could be strange... what sort of message would that send to him and to your husband? 

By any chance, are there any James' in your or your husband's family? 

Honestly though, we're focusing on how you'd justify this name to other people in your life... which you really shouldn't have to do. If you love the name and if your husband loves it and understands that it truly has nothing to do with your ex, than I say go for it. If people ask, just answer the question once and leave it alone. If you don't make a scene about it by being defensive or sensitive about the name, then no one else will make an issue out of it. Good luck :)
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think that I could do it, personally. I don't think that it is the best idea, especially if the relationship was recent. BUT, James is a very classic and well-known name, and if the relationship is well in the past, I don't think that it has to be a no-go name.

• Options
    Well DH turned out not to be so "dear" after all. The divorce is going to be finalized in April. So he doesn't get a say in the name.
    And as for the ex boyfriends middle name. That relationship ended pretty smoothly a little over a month ago now. We still talk but not often.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I couldn't do it, but I like James more than Gabriel.
    Elizabeth river sounds good ;)
  • Options
    I'm going to go with no.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    court476 said:

Well DH turned out not to be so "dear" after all. The divorce is going to be finalized in April. So he doesn't get a say in the name.
    And as for the ex boyfriends middle name. That relationship ended pretty smoothly a little over a month ago now. We still talk but not often.

This was an important part of the story and I think that if you go with James you should be expecting a call from the Maury show. Just saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"