1st Trimester

When are you finding out the sex?

My doctor's office only does a scan at the first appointment and then they send you somewhere special to get a scan between 18-20 weeks.  That's when you find out the sex.  Of course, you can pay to find out earlier at other locations.  There is a place in my town that does them at 16 weeks but I will be out of town and not able to go in until 17 weeks...then my doctor is doing the protocol scan 6 days later. I don't want to pay the money to find out 6 days early... seems like a waste.  

So.. I just emailed the company to ask them if they would tell me the sex at 14.5 or 15 weeks.... fingers crossed!  THAT.. I would pay extra for.  That would give me 3 weeks of knowing the sex before my 18 week scan! 

hmmm.. when are you finding out?

Re: When are you finding out the sex?

• I would wait until the 18-20 week anatomy scan because that is when everything will be more defined...Plus I'd be more concerned about having a healthy baby with all of it's parts than how it pees...which is what most people here are going to tell you, so don't be surprised.

I found out at 21 weeks. Because patience is a virtue.

• NsmrNsmr member
    I have my next scan nxt Thursday I'll be 16 weeks then. I wish I could find out then but they are very strict and refuse to tell you until after 20 weeks. I am more concerned about the health of my child first and foremost as I'm sure you are to but im excited to find out!
  • Loading the player...
  • I get the anxious feeling as I debated going for an elective ultrasound. It's your choice. However, I realized I needed to chill and decided to wait until my anatomy scan to see. In your case I would wait because the chances of an accurate reading may be ok at 14.5 wks but will be much stronger at your anatomy scan. Patience!!!!
  • Of course I want a healthy baby over anything.  I would also like to know the sex.
  • I think if you want to spend your money on a elective ultrasound to find out the sex of your baby is completely up to you. My advise, it's to early before 18-20 weeks. They may tell one sex or another, but I wouldn't go out buying all pink or blue. You could end up wasting your money.
  • At birth.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • We will be finding out at our 18-20 week U/S. We can't wait to find out! I have heard that waiting till the birth is an AMAZING experience! I had a friend that did it that way though she already had 1 of each already so it made it a little easier. I am too much of a person that has to be prepared (and don't want everything gender neutral) so I can definitely relate with wanting to find out especially since this is our first baby in the family for us and for both of our parents. 
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have to do some genetic screening and I am told that in those tests they can tell you the gender with 100% accuracy. Although I don't understand how. Especially since I'm carrying twins I just don't see how they can tell by the blood work.

I am very anxious to know the gender, but not because I care what comes out, but because I want to start picking out names and it's hard to focus when I have 3 possible scenarios.

Also, and this is really silly, but I'm hoping for one of each so that when people ask if I'm having a boy or a girl I can say "why not both?" ha ha. Sorry, I just have a thing for stupid humor..... Lol...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are having genetic screening done via the Harmony test, so we will likely find out the sex of the baby around 14 weeks or so (we're taking the test at 12 weeks and I'm assuming it'll take a couple of weeks to get the result).  
    CafeMom Tickers

• We will find out the baby's sex at birth. :) I know that option isn't for everyone, but it was a fantastic surprise with our last and we'll do that again.
  • We are having the Harmony test done at 11 weeks so we'll find out the sex because of that testing around 13 weeks when we get the results back.  With the blood testing the gender is 100% accurate.  Not having the testing done to find out the gender though, that's just a bonus. 
    BFP on 1/27/11 - EDD 10/7/11 - M/C on 2/21/11 @ 7w3d
    BFP on 11/3/11 - EDD 07/6/12 - DD born 6/27/12 via c-section 
    BFP on 1/31/15 - EDD 10/9/15 -- Beta #1 @ 17dpo: 394, Beta #2 @ 20dpo: 1604 (35 hour doubling time!), Beta #3 @ 24dpo: 5287
    1st ultrasound 2/19 6w6d - strong heartbeat and measuring perfectly!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just FYI-- your scan at any week may have to be repeated to get clearer images. I had to go back for repeat scans because both of my viable babies were wigglers & the images of most of the organs weren't clear. This included the sex organs. So even if you pay you might have no choice but to wait.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to find out, but there are many many other important aspects of pregnancy that get overshadowed by this need to figure out what sex the baby is.

FYI sex is between the legs & gender is between the ears. Yes, it matters.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We waited to find out at birth. It was fantastic, but I get why some people might want to know earlier.
    What I don't get though is the "I don't want everything gender neutral"-excuse. My newborn girl has a lot of clothes and stuff in all kinds of colors. She has inherited a lot of stuff from her boy cousins and I really don't see why it would matter. What are the benefits of buying items in a specific color based on baby's sex?
  • We are having the Harmony test, so we will likely find out between 13 and 14 weeks.  We aren't doing the Harmony test to determine the sex, but to screen for chromosomal abnormalities.  We're looking at the sex determination as a bonus.  
    CafeMom Tickers

• I am going to Hey Baby Ultrasound at 14 weeks, if they cannot see, then I can come back at 15 weeks for free. I will get confirmation at the 20 week ultrasound my doctor will send me to.
  • I am finding out within the next couple weeks. I am currently 11 weeks. Because I am an "advanced age mom" my doctor suggested I take the verify test just to make sure there are no chromosome abnormalities. It's done by drawing blood. Because it's basically a DNA test. ..they will be able to tell the gender also. I hope it's a boy!
  • Hopefull my April 23rd apt. Ill be almost 18 wks. I emailed my dr to ask :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"