April 2015 Moms

FTM Question, but what does it really feel like to first see/ hear your baby?

I know women describe how amazing it is and the instant love they feel... I'm not saying I won't love my kid but how realistic is all that?  Is it really like falling in love instantly?  Is there a chance I might be terrified, or depressed, or just simply in pain and exhausted when I give birth?  I'm not a sociopath, and I know I must be connected to my baby in some way already because I've had pangs of terror when I thought something might be going wrong with the pregnancy, but I'm also going to be a FTM and I just don't know what to expect.  I was an only child to two really crap parents. 

Re: FTM Question, but what does it really feel like to first see/ hear your baby?

• It's different with every mom and every baby. You might connect right off the bat and you might look at your baby 3 weeks after birth and fall in love. It all depends. 

• This is my fourth. I never had love at first sight with any of my kids. At first I actually feel like the baby could not be mine. It is when they start responding back to me that I started to feel a bond. In the beginning it just felt like an object that had many demands.

With your first you do think it will be love at first sight. It is hard to admit when you don't have these feelings, but it is completely normal.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know whether I would decribe it as love at first sight or not. Because I gave birth at 34 weeks, I was not able to hold my baby. I got to see him for a few seconds and hear him cry for the first time. When that happened my heart leapt and I definitely felt something, but it was a very cut off experience for me. I love my baby, and I miss him when I go home for the night, but it's still a very odd situation with him in the NICU. Sometimes it feels like he's not my baby, he's their baby, but other times it doesn't feel that way at all. I guess what I'm saying is that there's no one way to feel, and you probably will have a whole mix of emotions.
  • For me, since I had twins, it was kind of an amazed, awe-stuck feeling. Hearing two babies screaming their heads off wasn't really magical, so much as completely bizarre and unreal. And I also didn't experience love at first sight. You don't really "know" and love them until their little personalities start to peek through.

• It took me a couple of months to completely bond with my first. I felt compelled to take care of her, and I loved her, but she kind of felt like someone else's baby at first. I fell in love with my second instantly. I don't know what to expect with number three. It's different for each person and each baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is my fourth. I never had love at first sight with any of my kids. At first I actually feel like the baby could not be mine. It is when they start responding back to me that I started to feel a bond. In the beginning it just felt like an object that had many demands.

With your first you do think it will be love at first sight. It is hard to admit when you don't have these feelings, but it is completely normal.

THIS exactly!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think I was mostly shocked and unsure of what to feel immediately. A huge range of emotions.
  • I was shocked and in awe! I actually said "oh my god!" When I first saw her. It was a whirlwind of feelings and emotions. My Dh started balling which was an amazing moment. I felt relief from the pain and pushing. It was so amazing to feel this little baby on my chest after so many months. Then she started pushing and jerking. She was trying to get to my nipple to nurse but I had no clue what was going on so I was confused and scared.

There is no way to know what you are going to feel. Just remember that there is no right or wrong way to feel. There is a lot going on in that moment and after. Don't put pressure on yourself. Just try and enjoy your baby and that labor is over!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • It was love and relief I felt when my son was born. I had an emergency c-section and so all I saw was a blue sheet but I heard his little cry and I instantly had happy tears in my eyes and I wanted to just hold him right then. Sadly they didn't let me and I didn't get to see him again until after I got out of recovery.
  • Thanks everyone for your great replies!  I have to say, it was kind of what I expected.  So far my pregnancy has felt surreal, as I'm sure it does for a lot of moms, especially FTM's.  :)
  • Thank you for the honesty in these responses. As badly as I have always wanted to be a mother, I don't feel as connected to this pregnancy as I think I should. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited, it just almost doesn't feel real. Even as I feel baby kick me and I buy everything we need, I can't fully picture myself as "mom". I think it's just something you can never really be prepared for until it happens.
  • It was magic to hear my baby scream. I was told that there was a possibility that he would not come out screaming and crying because of his gestational age.

But to hear them scream and cry is just amazing. For the first time.
  • I was relieved that she was ok and that she cried...  at first.  I was definitely not attached to her.  I felt like I was holding someone else's baby for several months actually.  I mean I took care of her and knew she was mine but it didn't feel like she was.  It wasn't until she started to smile at things I would do that I started to feel a little attached.  Later when she would cry and want to come to me I would feel a little more attached.  Each part of her personality development made me more attached.  I'd say when she started talking somewhere around 20-24 months I got very attached and now feel like she's totally mine. 

I mean lets face it, they are handing you a tiny stranger at the hospital.  They took her for a quick evaluation after her first feeding and if they brought me back a different baby I might not have realized it.  She was totally unfamiliar to me for several days before I started feeling like I'd even recognize her in a nursery.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I felt really connected the first time I held her but after leaving the hospital I had very little connection... I hd very bad post pardum depression and she had caulic and cried all day long... We didn't have a great connection until she was a few months old
  • Awe.. It is amazing you created this little human! The bonding is not instant but the feeling is incredible- baby is here and healthy!!
  • I loved reading the responses! It's relieving to know that it's normal to not feel an instant bond. As a ftm I think it's normal for us to worry about how we will feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"