March 2015 Moms
Options

Birth classes etc.

I know it's because we're all at the same stage now with birth impending that the "I'm not sure if this is it" posts are happening but I'm wondering if anyone has taken a birth class? Do not all doctors tell you signs of labor, when to go to the hospital etc? Are birth classes not available to most people?

I'm glad there's a wealth of information on here and people to answer questions but it really surprises me that with all the babies literally about to be born labor is such a mystery.

It concerns me. 

Re: Birth classes etc.

• Options
    Actually I tried to find a birth class but there isn't one in my area. And when I go to the doctor he is always so busy I don't have time to ask much.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Have you been able to find the answers you need elsewhere? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't asked any of the "signs of labor" questions and am a FTM but I did take a class a few weeks ago. Honestly it was the BIGGEST waste of time and money. They basically said "every woman is different and call your doctor if you have questions..." The book I read about labor and delivery was much better (and a lot cheaper!) not sure what everyone else's classes were like but if they were like mine I can see why all the questions.
  • Options
    We had a class with our first that was really valuable. I assumed classes were more available and educational than they might be. 
  • Options
    The class we took wasn't as valuable regarding signs of labor, but I agree with OP's question/comment. I can't imagine being this far along in my pregnancy and not having some idea of the signs of labor and what I should do if I think I'm in labor (Call my midwife!!!). Even on The Bump, without talking to my provider or using other resources, I learned a lot just by reviewing the daily item on the to do list/calendar it provides.
  • Options
    Maybe people just want something to compare what their feeling to. I think this community is more about support from other women that are experiences the same things you might be. Maybe they are just in disbelief that it could be the real deal.
  • Options
  • Options
    I didn't take a class, but I did ask my OB what to do in the event I think I'm on labor. I also asked her what the signs were and googled them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• Options
    My hospital I am delivering at offers about 10+ types of baby classes. Also, when you have found your pediatrician they also have classes available. It's great to meet other couples as well Wishing you all the best of luck!
  • Options
    With my first I didn't take any classes. We have plenty available in our area but I didn't feel the need to. I also don't remember asking about labor signs though. I googled things and read a lot... I don't know. I think like someone else said, people just get nervous and excited and want someone to tell them to either settle down (nicely lol) or want comparisons on feelings or I dunno but some people just are way more informed in general than others. My SIL was totally un informed and unprepared for her first... Despite having planned the baby. Like her midwife was genuinely concerned because the went into labor and had no bassinet set up or clothes ect. It was kinda weird.... But she's a great mother! I think she was just in denial or something I don't know!
  • Options
    I wonder about those questuons, too. But I have read several pregnancy books, ask plenty of questions at my doctor appointments, and took about 15 hours of classes that were really detailed and informative. So I feel like I am very well prepared and understand the process of pregnancy and labour and delivery. Can't imagine not having already researched all of that information.
  • Options
    That said I have met women who scoff that I've read books or taken classes and they say that having babies is natural and people just figure it out as they go along, that research and preparation are unnecessary. :/ "People been having babies for thousands of years they didn't need no books or classes to tell them how." Heh.
  • Options
    Sometimes it seems like they are just lazy and bored. You see the same discussion repeated over and over, or questions that can EASILY be answered by a doctor, Google, or even any friend/family member. I too find myself questioning many of these posts, seems like most don't even return to read answers or respond.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"