December 2014 Moms
Options

Breastmilk question

I actually can't find the answer to this on google:
I pumped milk, kept it in the fridge for 9 hours. Warmed it up, expecting baby to wake up, it was out for 3 hours, baby never touched it.
Can I put it back in fridge and re-use or do I need to toss it? If I can put back in fridge, how long can I keep it in fridge?

Re: Breastmilk question

• Options
    ksutksut member
    I would say that I has to be thrown away.
  • Options
    I read somewhere (Dr. Sears website) that if your baby does not finish the bottle, the breast milk should still be good until the next feeding. In your case, considering since baby hasn't even touched it, it should be good until the next feeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As long as it smells ok, you're fine.
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    After you warm it you should not refrigerate it again. It should be disgarded within an hour to two. It will breed bacteria...as hard as it is to throw milk out.
  • Options
    There is no recommendation from the la leche league, but many parents and dr.s agree that it might be fine since mothers milk has antibodies unlike formula which can spoil. I personally reuse it, if it smells okay and it wasn't out long.
  • Options
    Yup keep out until next feed. Smell to see if it's gone bad.
    Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014
    EDD: January 3rd, 2015! 

• Options
    Zu8Zu8 member
  • Options
    Zu8Zu8 member
    Hopefully the above helps it's from
    The Australian breastfeeding brochure
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"