August 2015 Moms
Options

Cavities and have to wait

17 weeks and have a cavity. Saw my dentist and said I have to get an X-ray and I can't. It's sensitive to cold and warm food an liquids. Any home remedies? I tried garlic, warm salt water and trying to eat slow. Lost some weight already. I have to tough it out until baby arrives.

Re: Cavities and have to wait

• Options
    Would your dentist fill it without an x-ray?  I know my dentist likes to wait until after baby comes (I have a suspected cavity right now) but he will fill it if it gets painful.  He's pretty hands-off, so I trust that if he thought there was any real danger in filling a cavity he wouldn't do it under any circumstances. 

Are you comfortable using essential oils while pregnant?  I could give you a couple of ideas if you are.
  • Options
    For sensitivity you could try a toothpaste like sensodyne. Not sure if it would help with a cavity and it takes a little while for you to notice, but it helped with the sensitivity I was having with one of my teeth. I have a cavity too, my dentist wouldn't fill it during the first trimester so I'm supposed to go get it filled in a couple weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had cavities filled while pregnant. Two different dentists during two different pregnancies.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I actually had a cavity filled today and they made sure I had some kind of apron thing on for the X-rays and they had to get confirmation from my OBGYN
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    You could try oil pulling. You'd have to google it for more info.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sschweg , yes please! I use young living and would like to hear what you have to say. I had an insurance change and meeting a new doctor. She wants to be safe.
  • Options
    If it gets imbareable , then I have no choice. Just don't want to get to that point. I did get the filling done before I became pregnant, but for some reason they didn't do it right or what. Not sure but never want to hurt this child.
  • Options
    I use young living as well. I'm reading from the Gentle Babies book under teething, but it might still provide relief, worth a shot anyway! I would try orange, frank OR theives diluted 1:5 on your gums and tooth area. Also perhaps lavender along the jaw line.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Okay. I have thieves , so one drop oil and rest coconut oil or olive oil? I have only olive oil at the moment. Lavender sounds great too. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    Check with your dentist, but mine offers digital X-rays. Supposedly they are much clearer than traditional X-rays and have much less radiation. Plus, you still wear the lead apron. Also check with your OB doctor.
  • Options
    Did the dentist say you can't get an xray? My ob says dental X-rays are fine. You are covered in the lead apron.
  • Options
    The dentist didn't say not to get an X-Ray but she is a mother of two. She understands my concerns and if I need to and have no choice, then the dentist will take an X-ray and get dental work, she advised me to speak with my Obgyn and will once I see her for next appt.
  • Options
    that's really strange, actually a first time for me hearing that happening to someone. I actually am going back next week for my second round of my root canal. When they did an x-ray they put 2 of the covers over me. and gave me special novocaine for pregnancy. everything I have read said it's very important to take care of your teeth while pregnant because the baby is literally sucking the calcium out of you. I hope that you can get it treated. 
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    I left a message with my Obgyn and see what she says. I had a lot of X-rays done to me for health reasons and really don't want to take the risk of over exposure and to the baby. I can tell the baby is taking my calcium from my teeth because I have two cavities now. From what I read, I heard it was good and bad to have X-rays done while pregnant. Either way, I will hear from the doctor this week and go from there.
  • Options
    During the second trimester it is ok to have a filling if need be. I had one break in my first trimester and it was filled at the beginning of my second trimester. I had an emergency X-ray during my first pregnancy due to some pain I was having, it ended up being nothing but they covered me with double lead and did the X-ray. Don't try to suffer until August, get it taken care if now while it is safest.
  • Options
    I have one scheduled in 3 weeks. My ob said its way more risky to have it become a root canal issue or get infected. She had no concerns with me getting it fixed, just said to wait til 2nd tri so I wasn't as gaggy. I didn't need an X-ray because he could see the little hole in the tooth, but my OB said there is no harm if they need to do a focal X-ray of the tooth. For what it's worth, I'd think hard about fixing it so it doesn't become a bigger problem
  • Options
    You can absolutely get both an X-Ray and a filling. The lidocaine is perfectly safe during pregnancy and the dentist can double-sheild you for the x-ray. I did both during my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    Did the oils help at all?
  • Options
    I just got a cavity filled today after 2 months of religiously trying to oil pull (didn't work). You should be fine to get it filled if you are out of your first trimester. See if they can do it without x-rays - there are varying opinions on this. My OB said it is better to take care of it sooner than later to lessen the chances of it becoming more serious/infected/root canal needed. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I am getting a root canal on Monday. I took x-rays with the OB's approval. I am also getting the numbing agent with less epinephrine to monitor heart rate. I am not worried at all. I would rather be healthy then wait.
  • Options
    I actually need a root canal and a filing. My OB just signed off on the procedure. She mentioned tooth decay can cause preterm labor or something of that sort. Don't quote me though.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Update!!! I'm doing lavender on the jaw and started to oil pull. Using coconut oil and swishing around for 20 minutes for one day. Thanks ladies. I have to do an X-ray since I'm new to this dentist, but it's been a while since I taken X-rays. A year really. Holding off til I really have too. A new symptom I'm having now is dizziness lol yay .....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"