1st Trimester

Tanning

Before I was pregnant I always thought it was a given NOT to tan while pregnant. Now that I am 10 weeks I'm looking into it more and every single forum I've seen and post that I have googled says Tanning won't harm your fetus because it only penetrates the first two layers of skin , however to be careful not to over heat your body. Tanning isn't an essential for me but it is something I would like too do if I'm not putting my baby in danger ! Anybody know anything ? I would just call my OBGYN but he's very hard to get in contact with .

Re: Tanning

• Personally, I don't/wouldn't tan because I don't like Cancer. But that's just me. =)
    As far as the baby is concerned, I'm sure your OB would be the best source for that information. I'd say it's best to get your Vit D (or darker skin) the au natural way. ;)
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Just repeating what others have said, but tanning isn't safe whether you're pregnant or not. If you need the bronzed skin, I would use a self-tanner, or embrace the paleness.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would skip tanning it's not worth the risk. It's just like other things you give up for 9 months, alcohol, certain foods, jacuzzi's.
  • I agree with everyone else. Although I enjoy tanning myself, I do get hot and I'd rather not overheat my baby and put him in danger. You may not "feel" overheated, but if your core temp rises and it's not good for baby.

I'd say better safe than sorry. If you have to question if it's ok or not, I always go with probably not.

• I think part of the issue is it elevates your core temperature which can have detrimental effects on the development of the fetus. Also skin cancer.
  • I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. Lying in a tanning bed can raise your body temperature which is not good for the baby. Plus, tanning beds are not good for you no matter if you're pregnant or not, I would prefer not to raise my risk of getting skin cancer. Embrace you natural skin tone or use a self tanner, they have dramatically improved throughout the years. Ultimately, it's your decision, but I don't think it's worth the risk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If you absolutely cannot go through your pregnancy without being tan, I would recommend getting a spray tan. Tanning beds aren't safe for a non-pregnant woman and put you at risk for skin cancer I definitely don't believe they are safe during pregnancy and think I would switch from any doctor who told me otherwise. Where I live, there is a tanning salon that does all organic spray tans that are 100% safe during pregnancy and yourself. I would recommend checking something like that out or like others have said, embrace yourself just the way you are! :) 
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not sure what the case is for OP, but some people don't just tan to be tan. Although does have a superficial cosmetic effect, some people use tanning beds to feel better since they have benefits similar to a light box.

OP, you're probably looking to just be tan, but if for some crazy reason you use it for other benefits, Maybe try looking into a light box?

• I'm asking my doctor about this too. Although I'm not a regular tanner, I do like to get a base tan before summer hits so I don't burn. I feel like the heat shouldn't be an issue since I'm only in for about 8 minutes and quite honestly my body temp rises much higher in the gym then it ever has in a tanning bed so...I'm asking about it! 
  • Good question!! Waiting to see responses.
  • I'm asking my doctor about this too. Although I'm not a regular tanner, I do like to get a base tan before summer hits so I don't burn. I feel like the heat shouldn't be an issue since I'm only in for about 8 minutes and quite honestly my body temp rises much higher in the gym then it ever has in a tanning bed so...I'm asking about it! 

I too like a good tan, but I'm a faker lol I love the st tropez lotion! So if your really desperate for a bit of colour in the summer this is my life saver , I know this won't help with the base tan you want but can always apply sun cream over the top of your tan, just a thought for whilst your expecting
    :)
  • Pale is swell
  • No. I wouldn't tan.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I consider myself tanorexic and love to be tan and normally go to the tanning bed a few times a month during winter , not just for the color but it just makes me feel good. Winter is depressing to me. But anyways I'm definitely not going to while pregnant. We have to make sacrifices and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Like another poster said, if you're questioning whether something is okay or not it's probably best to not go there. I'm just going to deal with being pale for a bit and wait until It's warm enough to lay outside :)
    And don't let people make you feel bad for wanting to be tan, everyone has a vice or a habit. To each their own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"