March 2015 Moms
Options

Any feedback on c-section recovery?

My baby is breeched, and I have a scheduled C-section for 3/19.  I have been doing the techniques on spinning babies and seeing a chiro for the Webster technique but she's stubborn and crammed in there.  I am just going mentally prepare for a C-section and hope she turns last minute.  I am not so worried about the procedure, but more the recover.  How soon are you walking around, able to lift things, take walks, introduce exercise, drive, etc.??  Also, I have heard mixed things about having a nerve block verses an epidural - anyone have better results with one as opposed to the other?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Any feedback on c-section recovery?

• Options
    I had a c section with my first at 39 weeks because she was breech and almost 10 lbs. Recovery wasn't as bad as I thought. I just took it slow in the hospital and was fine by the time I was released about 48 hours later. I started walking short distances a week and a half after my section. I had a spinal and my only complaint was that they administered it too high so I was numb from the neck down. I couldn't feel my chest rise when I was breathing so it freaked me out a little bit. I'll do a spinal again because that's what my doc recommends.
  • Options
    I'm going to have my third c section March 16. All of my kids are 6 years apart and so far my body has reacted very differently each time. With my first I was young and afraid and babied myself through recovery which seemed to take forever. With the second I made sure to get up and moving by late in the first day. I have a pretty high pain tolerance which helped and had another child and animals to care for. It seems Being mobile faster helps your body recover. I was able to leave the hospital in 2 days the second time around. No driving for 4 weeks though which really stinks ! Everyone is different but I suggest not babying yourself and just trying to do what you can to get up and walk and move as soon as you are comfortable ! Best of luck !!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a spinal as well, was in the hospital 3 nights. I was walking laps of the maternity floor with DHs help by day 2, evening. Follow Drs and nurses instructions. I am the type who will try to do to much, so if you are that way be gentle with yourself. I also weaned myself off the Percocet before I left the hospital, I only took them at home at night. Two weeks before I could drive, take long walks. At 6 weeks before normal activity.
  • Options
    thanks Ladies, this makes me feel less anxious about it. 
  • Options
    I have a c section scheduled for tomorrow! I'm nervous but the baby will be too big if in wait to go into labor naturally and I'm not dialing or softening at all so he won't even try to induce. We'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    goosenpumpkingoosenpumpkin member
    edited March 2015
    I would advise not trying to do too much too soon. It could actually put you in a bad place for recovery because you increase the risk of developing scar tissue that will or can attach to other organs and things. This will cause long term pain and issues. If you want to heal completely and well, just really take it easy. Do not try to do too much or lift things for a while. Listen to your doc! I know it's hard. But I have 4 friends who all pushed themselves and wanted to do too much, walk around too much too soon, start exercise too soon and now they all have those scar tissue issues and are in constant pain. Let your body heal. I think I puttered around for 2 wks. First recovery was a lot harder than my second. I remember wanting to do more both times, but hubby and my mom wouldn't have it, and I'm glad they put their feet down. Also, if you have stairs in your home, having a bed or something set up to sleep in downstairs for the first few nights will be more comfortable for you. Good luck on your delivery and really take care of yourself afterward!
  • Options
    Get up and walk as soon as they allow it in the hospital. I won't lie, the pain you feel the first time you stand up will be crippling. But it gets easier every time.

Don't be afraid to ask for help - have someone help you stand, being you the baby, get you drinks/ snacks. But do move - it is the best way to start the healing process and expel gas.

For my c/s, I had a lifting restriction of no more than baby for 2 weeks. Same with driving. Once I had my 2 week check up, I was cleared to drive and could lift baby + their infant seat. Each doc is different though so don't be afraid to ask.
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I would advise not trying to do too much too soon. It could actually put you in a bad place for recovery because you increase the risk of developing scar tissue that will or can attach to other organs and things. This will cause long term pain and issues. If you want to heal completely and well, just really take it easy. Do not try to do too much or lift things for a while. Listen to your doc! I know it's hard. But I have 4 friends who all pushed themselves and wanted to do too much, walk around too much too soon, start exercise too soon and now they all have those scar tissue issues and are in constant pain. Let your body heal. I think I puttered around for 2 wks. First recovery was a lot harder than my second. I remember wanting to do more both times, but hubby and my mom wouldn't have it, and I'm glad they put their feet down. Also, if you have stairs in your home, having a bed or something set up to sleep in downstairs for the first few nights will be more comfortable for you. Good luck on your delivery and really take care of yourself afterward!

@goosenpumpkin I've never heard of scar tissue developing because of doing "too much too soon". Did your doctor/midwife give you this info? I find it troubling as I've been walking up and down stairs and doing household chores for a few days now, and I'm only a week post surgery. I stopped taking any pain meds after 2 days and just "sucked it up". Crap, hope I'm not screwing myself. -__-
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    KD32412 said:

@goosenpumpkin I've never heard of scar tissue developing because of doing "too much too soon". Did your doctor/midwife give you this info? I find it troubling as I've been walking up and down stairs and doing household chores for a few days now, and I'm only a week post surgery. I stopped taking any pain meds after 2 days and just "sucked it up". Crap, hope I'm not screwing myself. -__-

I have huge painful scar tissue at both ends of my incision from first c section. I went back to work too early because I had to and I had a physical job. My dr's have said it may be from doing too much too soon. Then again sometimes it just happens. They hurt, and they react with my menstrual cycle. They start giving me really bad shooting pains and get larger a couple days before my period starts. And I have adhesions to my abdominal wall. That's why I'm not going for VBAC. They are going to take it out at my surgery. There's no way to be 100% sure if it was from activity level after surgery or if it would have happened anyways, but I'm taking it easy this time :/
  • Options
    Thoward1968Thoward1968 member
    edited March 2015
    Everyone is different. I had a myomectomy three years ago to remove a fibroid that was melon sized. I had a c-section to get it out. It is really difficult to roll over and get up and down the first few days. I was walking around almost normally but sore within a couple of weeks. A friend of mine took 6 weeks to be able to do what I could in half the time. It takes several weeks to get your strength back. I am having a c-section on the 11th because my uterus was weakened from the myomectomy. I have a 22 year old daughter and am actually relieved not to be going through labor and delivery again. Her birth was really terrible.

BabyName Ticker'>Thoward

• Options

Yes, I was advised all three times my c section incision was opened (2csections, 1laparoscopy for an ectopic) that the risks for adhesions and improperly formed scar tissue increases with too much activity too soon. I'm kind of surprised that some docs aren't as big on letting patients know the risks anymore. I never took my pain meds at home either. I just don't like the itching and side effects and would rather just push through pain. But my cousin's wife and 3 of my girlfriends have had horrible issues with scar tissue and adhesions for just doing too much. Two of them went in and got opened up again to scrape out scar tissue, it was so bad. It's only a few weeks of dishes in the sink, laundry piled up, etc. let yor body heal. Of course. You still need to move around, but the temptation to do more is so easy to give into. This is a major surgery and there's a lot of different things, organs, structures in that little area that can get messed up. You could end up being fine, but why chance it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"