Cloth Diapering

Cloth v. the Best disposable

So, I really wanted to cloth diaper, but I just can't make it happen because of my work schedule...what is the next best option? Honest Co.? Seventh Generation? 

I really refuse to use Huggies, Pampers, random toxin-laden diapers...

Help! Thank you!

Re: Cloth v. the Best disposable

• I'm confused, what is it about your work schedule that prevents you from cloth diapering? I haven't bought disposables in a long time and the ones I did buy were just the cheapest ones available since they weren't for daily use.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I'm confused, what is it about your work schedule that prevents you from cloth diapering? I haven't bought disposables in a long time and the ones I did buy were just the cheapest ones available since they weren't for daily use.

Well, I work in IT, 8-9 hours a day, and I don't think I can have my mom and my grandmother have to be responsible for cloth diapering as well as watching the baby. 

I was hoping to hear of the 'next best' options! Honest Co. is said to be very safe?
  • Loading the player...
  • FWIW, many of the old regulars here had the person who provided child care using cloth diapers.....the dirty ones just went into a wet bag and they were dealt with by mom/dad at home that evening. There were some that did cloth part time during the times when LO was not in day care. If you check out the pm that was sent to you, I'm sure one of the old regulars would be able to help you answer your question much better than I can.

• FWIW, many of the old regulars here had the person who provided child care using cloth diapers.....the dirty ones just went into a wet bag and they were dealt with by mom/dad at home that evening. There were some that did cloth part time during the times when LO was not in day care. If you check out the pm that was sent to you, I'm sure one of the old regulars would be able to help you answer your question much better than I can.

I did this.  I found that doing cloth was actually less time consuming than disposables.  I didn't realize how much of a hassle it would be to get myself and LO out the door to get to the store to buy the diapers.  Just taking the cloth and starting the wash took about 2 minutes.  Then moving it into the dryer when it was done took about 1 minute.  Stuffing probably took the longest (since I used pocket diapers) but still that might have been 10 minutes. 

Getting ready to go to the store was changing clothes, and diapers and one more feeding, then diaper bag and in the car then driving and paying and coming home.  Much bigger hassle. 

But either way, I don't have a lot of advice on disposable diapers.  I always used pampers as my backup diaper and didn't worry much since she was barely ever in them.  I used huggies once and she got a big rash.  I used a few of the rite aid cheep diapers and they had terrible tabs, leaked, and just weren't worth it at all.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• topaz7777 said:

FWIW, many of the old regulars here had the person who provided child care using cloth diapers.....the dirty ones just went into a wet bag and they were dealt with by mom/dad at home that evening. There were some that did cloth part time during the times when LO was not in day care. If you check out the pm that was sent to you, I'm sure one of the old regulars would be able to help you answer your question much better than I can.

I did this.  I found that doing cloth was actually less time consuming than disposables.  I didn't realize how much of a hassle it would be to get myself and LO out the door to get to the store to buy the diapers.  Just taking the cloth and starting the wash took about 2 minutes.  Then moving it into the dryer when it was done took about 1 minute.  Stuffing probably took the longest (since I used pocket diapers) but still that might have been 10 minutes. 

Getting ready to go to the store was changing clothes, and diapers and one more feeding, then diaper bag and in the car then driving and paying and coming home.  Much bigger hassle. 

But either way, I don't have a lot of advice on disposable diapers.  I always used pampers as my backup diaper and didn't worry much since she was barely ever in them.  I used huggies once and she got a big rash.  I used a few of the rite aid cheep diapers and they had terrible tabs, leaked, and just weren't worth it at all.

I feel like I should have some cloth diapers on hand to try after hearing you guys mention this. I have been looking at Honest Co., Bambo, Naty and some other safer brands of disposables. I know I was planning to order online via monthly subscription, because I remember my poor mother trying to deal with my baby brother in stores...I'd like to avoid that! :))

I watched my mom struggle with my little brother's skin too, because of how sensitive he was! He'd get irritated skin, rashes, and bad cradle cap type issues all over his body...I want to avoid diapers with heavy chemicals/toxins. Soaps and lotions were a bad culprit too! :(  

I am going to see about putting a handful of nice cloth diapers on my registry. It can't hurt to give it a try! 

• Yes, come join us in the new place. There are other working moms there who also CD, and may have good tips to share regarding talking to your daycare about CD, and what kind of laundry schedule they have. For the most part they will tell you it's NBD. If it's a priority for you, you will find a way to make it work.

For disposables we use Bambo Nature when we travel and don't have access to laundry or a good handwashing setup, or for the 1.5 days a week when DS is in daycare with a provider who has been intractable on CDs. They are pretty expensive though, so I don't think I could recommend them as an all-the-time disposable.
  • Yes, come join us in the new place. There are other working moms there who also CD, and may have good tips to share regarding talking to your daycare about CD, and what kind of laundry schedule they have. For the most part they will tell you it's NBD. If it's a priority for you, you will find a way to make it work.

For disposables we use Bambo Nature when we travel and don't have access to laundry or a good handwashing setup, or for the 1.5 days a week when DS is in daycare with a provider who has been intractable on CDs. They are pretty expensive though, so I don't think I could recommend them as an all-the-time disposable.
    Awesome! I will check it out :) 

We aren't doing daycare, but I hate to impose on my mom and grandmom...they are already graciously offering to watch the baby on days when my Husband and I cannot work from home. 

I am still looking for the best cost and safest disposable to use! I am so happy that I've found likeminded moms out there too! Other boards are so cut-throat about this and telling me 'Who cares what brand you use, they are diapers!' and I am like...yikes...maybe on your baby, but not mine... LOL!
  • Honestly, if you want to use cloth I don't see how it is an imposition any more than disposables. Changing diapers is changing diapers. If you get AIOs/pockets with velcro closures they go on and off just like disposables.
  • I'm in the same boat as you @gypsea1109, in that my mom n grandma will be watching dd while I work. My mom was dead set against CDs at first but was willing to humor me and try them after dd was born. Now she loves them and wants a stash at her house for when dd is there. because she doesn't want me going back and forth with CDs 5 days a week. I tried to tell her that I'd do all the washing after work and she wouldn't have to worry about them but now she loves em and doesn't mind the extra work. My point is, it can work in your situation too.

As for disposables, since I figuered I'd rarely use em, I kept 1 bag of pampers (given as a gift) and still have about 3/4 of the bag left to this day.

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @Bliss+Berry how long have you been using cloth diapers or are you planning to or ????

• My mother was dead set against me cloth diapering and was telling me how much a pain it was and on and on...  but the ones she had to deal with had the pins and the diaper covers and that was a long long time ago.  When I showed her one of my new ones (BG pocket diaper) she was confused.  This is a cloth diaper?  Yup, just put it on and take it off like a regular diaper only instead of throwing it in the trash, I put it in this bag and wash them every other day.  Then she was telling me horror stories about having to swish the poop off of them in the toilet and such, so I walked her into my bathroom and showed her my diaper sprayer.  She just stood there with her mouth open in shock.  She loves them now.  DH was originally not sure about the cloth diapering thing, and it only took 1 week at home with a newborn before he was all about it.  It's kind of cute to watch him color coordinate them.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• You might consider trying a hybrid, OP. I use gdiapers and love them. You have the option of using cloth inserts or environmentally friendly disposable inserts. I know a lot of people use both depending on the circumstances. You could use the cloth inserts when you are able to be home and let your mom and grandmother use the disposable inserts if they really don't want to mess with the cloth.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • If your mom & grandma are not going to be doing the laundry, then you really are not creating any extra work for them at all by asking them to use the cloth diapers.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• When we moved and were in limbo I used Naty's and they were phenomenal, much better than 7th gen (which I used for a camping trip before). My toddler is mostly pt'd, and using Naty's pull ups, because washing 2-4 trainers a week was a PITA from a laundry perspective.

But I never had issues with any of my home daycares, family or babysitters using cloth. I had velcro and snap pockets ready to go, they put them in a wet bag after, no different than a disposable. And until the baby starts solids you don't even have to spray, I recommend newborn cloth to everyone :) so easy!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your mom & grandma are not going to be doing the laundry, then you really are not creating any extra work for them at all by asking them to use the cloth diapers.

This.  I worked FT until LO was 9 months and he hasn't been in sposies since he was a couple weeks old.  I had a variety of friends and family watching him, as well as daycare.  We didn't have any issues with anyone using our pocket diapers or cloth wipes, they just put them in a wetbag.  They actually probably appreciated me taking the stinky ones home.
  • We use prefolds. I only showed my mom how to do them once and she's been fine ever since (LO is 4 months) but my MIL still refuses to even learn how to put one on. Says it's not her "specialty" so she always puts him in disposable at her house. ::eye roll::

I think you could use cloth when you're at home and on weekends and attempt to show your family how to use them. If they're receptive, great! And if not, have disposable on hand for them.

Sorry I don't have advice on the best disposable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"