Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby Spitting up/vomiting alot of formula

So I started breastfeeding my baby but at 3 weeks was diagnosed with breast cancer so I had to stop in order to have treatment. Now I am struggling to find the right baby formula for my baby as he keeps spitting it up/vomiting. We've already tried Enfamil Newborn, Enfamil Gentlease (this one wasn't as bad), Enfamil Supplementation when I was still pumping a bit, Gerber Soothe, Gerber Gentle, and we're at the end of the rope. The doc also gave us Zantac for baby's tummy to see if it was reflux. We try to stop him between oz when feeding to burp him but still get the same results. We feel bad about how many times we've already changed the formula. I think the biggest problem is that baby does not calm down. He wiggles alot even when we try to burp him. Even if we wake him to eat, soon he is acting like he hasn't eaten in years and we can't calm him until we give him the bottle. He was not gaining enough at the last appointment so the doc told us to increase to 4oz every 3 hrs b/c we were going up to 3oz every 3 hours. It seems his tummy can't handle 4oz so we cut back to 3oz again but he still doesn't seem to be keeping it down. Which formula do you use, how did you figure it out, and how much/often do you feed your baby? We are first time parents so we are kinda clueless. Please help!

Re: Baby Spitting up/vomiting alot of formula

• Options

I switched my baby from regular Similac to Similac Sensitive and that seemed to help. She hates the powder so we give her the liquid (more expensive, boo). We also switched from Dr. Brown's bottles to Avent and that made a huge difference.

My son used to spit up a ton when he was a baby but he wasn't in pain and was gaining weight so he was labeled a "happy spitter". If your LO is crying and seems in pain, then I would more likely assume reflux. Are you sure your LO is "vomiting"???

I would speak to your Pedi again about this. Good luck!

• Options
    I'm with @Bigboobsmcgee Similac is what I supplement with and I love it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds similar to what my DS went through and in the end we realized it was def reflux but the Zantac was doing nothing for him. It actually has a high failure rate among babies. Our pedi switched him to liquid Prevacid and it made a dramatic difference in about 3-4 days. Spit up is now a rare occurrence and he eats like a little piggy.
  • Options
    We tried Enfamil, Similac and Kirkland(Costco), all made her gassy and in pain. Tried target brand, up and up, gentle and that has made our little one act like when she had breast milk. No gas pain or discomfort. She was spitting up or vomiting a lot of formula, so we switched from dr. Brown bottles to playtex vent and she has not spit up since!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"