Baby Showers

Who to invite to Baby Shower

I'm having a dilemma if I should invite some old co-workers of mine to my baby shower that's not at work, because I'm not sure about the baby shower at work, if I will know the date or if they will ask me to invite people outside of my organization. I work for the DoD, so everyone doesn't work in the same building and I would hate that I didn't invite old coworkers to my shower, they have asked me to when I told them I was expecting.

Have you all had a similar case with this? Suguesstions/Comments

Re: Who to invite to Baby Shower

• Are you close friends with your co-workers? If so, absolutely invite them! I personally am cordial in the office (I work in IT) but I don't hang out with anyone from work outside of work hours...so I know my Shower will not include work folks. 

If they ask for your registry link, you should send it to them though! They might throw you a surprise Shower at work and if you get some registry gifts from the little party - score! :)
  • anyone who you are really close to i would invite
  • Loading the player...
  • VORVOR member
    Are you close to them?  As in, you talk on a somewhat regular basis and still get together with them?  Really- do you consider them FRIENDS?

If yes, then sure, invite them.  If no, then no, don't invite them.

Just because they said they wanted to be invited to a shower doesn't mean you HAVE to.  Especially if you aren't really friends with them - I think it would be odd to invite them to your friend/family shower. 

Most likely, if they aren't invited to any shower, nothing will come of it.  But if a shower happens at work and they aren't included and you aren't asked about who to invite, IF nayone says anything to you after the fact, all you need to say is  "I wasn't involved in the shower at all.  If I had been asked, of course I would have made sure you were included".  Period. 
  • @gypsea1109 these are actually old coworkers. I am friends with a couple of them, and the other 2 told me to let them know about a my baby shower when I told them I was pregnant. I know that my organization where I'm located now is planning something as far as a shower, but I don't know the details. So, I was thinking that I'd invite my old coworkers to the one outside of work, I don't think all will come.. I guess its the common courtesy of inviting, I guess.

The one coworker I talk to on a good basis works with the others and I just think it would be weird if I didn't invite the other 2, that I used to work with.....IDK....Or do you think I should ask them if they want to an invitiation to my shower?

• I say invite them to your family shower if your host has the space.
    I invited 4 old co-workers to my friend/family shower. It was nice that they knew each other and could sit by each other and didn't feel out if place. It was great to see them and we all had a good time. I think work showers are for work people only. I've never had a shower at work for any occasion where outside people came except the Bride or MOB or father.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • scharle3 said:

@gypsea1109 these are actually old coworkers. I am friends with a couple of them, and the other 2 told me to let them know about a my baby shower when I told them I was pregnant. I know that my organization where I'm located now is planning something as far as a shower, but I don't know the details. So, I was thinking that I'd invite my old coworkers to the one outside of work, I don't think all will come.. I guess its the common courtesy of inviting, I guess.

The one coworker I talk to on a good basis works with the others and I just think it would be weird if I didn't invite the other 2, that I used to work with.....IDK....Or do you think I should ask them if they want to an invitiation to my shower?

If you have space to include them, I would invite them - they sound like they care about you and are excited for you and your baby, based on their comment after you announced your pregnancy! :) 

Even if they don't come, I think it would be nice to include them in your invites! 
  • Sorry for the confusion, they are old cowokers, but we still work for the DoD, just in different buildings. I don't know if that makes any sense.
  • scharle3 said:

Sorry for the confusion, they are old cowokers, but we still work for the DoD, just in different buildings. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I think if your new group is planning a work-Shower for you (my coworkers are planning something like that for me, it's very typical in IT!), but the other work friends wouldn't be included in the new group - I would invite them to your personal Shower! Unless there was some way to invite the old work friends to the Shower the new group is throwing for you...which I think would be ideal :)
  • I see so your old co-workers you want to invite still work in the same company just not same group anymore? Then I think it's ok to ask to invite them to the work shower once you learn the details or find out who is organizing the work one and ask them to include So-and-so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never heard of the guest of honor having any sort of control over the guest list - the hosts will decide how many guests and who to invite (if they ask for your input, great - mention your old coworkers with whom you are legit friends). Otherwise, don't stress about it - I can't imagine anyone ever being upset that they weren't invited to a coworker's shower, especially since the honoree is not responsible for the guest list.
  • I set up a Google spreadsheet of who to invite to the shower. I discussed the number of guests with my host so that she was comfortable with the number. She actually preferred me "telling her" who to invite so that she did not miss anyone as there are numerous family members and some friends that she would not have had a clue to invite otherwise. Plus, she can now use the Google spreadsheet to keep track of RSVPs and such. I even put some of my old coworkers on the list that I am still close with.
  • Old work friends (only 4 I'm still in touch with) were invited to one of my family showers. There would be no way for my new coworkers to even know to invite them to the one at my new place of employment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"