April 2015 Moms
Options

Baby too small?

Hey everyone!

This is my first bub, it's a boy and I'm currently 32+2 weeks pregnant.

So.. I am very slim in build and I constantly get people saying "there's no way you're 32 weeks pregnant" or "you're so small!" Etc ect. I know people don't mean anything by it but it does get annoying after a while. Anywho I didn't think anything of it until last Friday when I went to see the midwives at the hospital that I started to worry.
Due to a stuff up with my appointment I saw a doc instead of a midwife and she came out straight away and said "you're too small for this stage of pregnancy" :S
She measured my belly 3 times and wasn't happy so I'm having a scan on Thursday to make sure bub is developing okay.
Could I just be having a small baby because I'm also small? Or could I possibly get really big all of a sudden later down the track? Am I freaking for no reason? There's plenty of fetal movement so I'm just hoping he's developing fine.

Re: Baby too small?

• Options
    My coworker was very thin before her pregnancy, and only had a tiny bump toward the end, but she had a very long torso, and I think she carried more toward her back. She delivered a healthy 8 lb baby so I think it really depends on how you carry the baby. My two pregnancies have both been very obvious, but every woman carries differently! Hope everything goes well at the scan!
  • Options
    Well I am pretty petite and my first baby followed the normal ranges the whole pregnancy and came out 7 lbs, 4 oz. I'm still small this pregnancy and my baby is averaging normal growth ranges. So small women have average, and even large sized babies. I hope all is well, but I wouldn't say your baby is so far behind in growth just because you are small. Your body accommodates for baby. Good luck for your scan.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. From what I've read from other peoples experiences it sounds like you may not show that much and growth is normal or you might just have a smaller baby but development is fine. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    babybarrandbabybarrand member
    edited March 2015
    I'm 32 and 3days my midwife said the same thing last week but my uterus measures well baby only weighs about 2 lbs. So by the end she'll be about 6 ! As for people who think it's a compliment to say you sure your 32 weeks .. I get it just try to not let it bug you ! A lady the other day told me I just looked fat and not pregnant at all ! We're almost there and they Wil be healthy beautiful babies ♡
  • Options
    I'm 36 weeks and I hear all the time I'm really small, most people say I look about 20 weeks if that. Although my measurements are right at 36 weeks, my dr said you cannot judge a baby's size by how the mother looks. Good luck at your ultrasound.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and I am so sick of everyone telling me I look too small or asking if I'm sure I'm really that far along! At least I'm showing enough now that they aren't asking me if I'm sure I'm pregnant... I was kind of worried about it at first, but my doctor says baby and I are measuring just fine. Hopefully your ultrasound will show that baby is growing like he should!
  • Options
    Im 32 weeks, I still got small belly nd my baby weight 3lbs 10oz. I think your baby is fine & healthy. :) Have faith
  • Options
    When your doctor starts worrying you can too
  • Options
    A lot of people say my baby looks small as well but I think it is just because I have a rather large chest. I am a very normal sized person otherwise. Definitely don't worry unless your doctor is worried. I believe if they are really worried they usually call for extra ultrasounds to make sure baby measures well?
  • Options
    As long as baby is continuing to grow and placenta is functioning well. You really can't tell by looking at someone, everyone carries differently. Just cause a baby is big, does not mean it's any healthier than a newborn who is on the smaller side- that's one of the reasons diabetes needs to be monitored so closely.
  • Options
    Throughout my SIL entire pregnancy she was told my both her OB and everyone she met that she was small for her gestational dates/ fundal measurements. She ended up delivering and 8lb 9ounce baby girl
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"