Breastfeeding

Newborn constantly nursing?

My little guy is two weeks old today and since yesterday, he seems to want constantly be nursing. I really do mean constantly. Normally, I'd feed him from one side and lay him down after he had fallen asleep and he'd stay asleep for awhile unless he needed changed or wanted held. But, now, I can nurse him, even from both sides and lay him down after he falls asleep, but no sooner I do that and he is up again, sucking on his hands, rooting, etc. What could be going on? Growth spurt maybe? It's starting to get a little tiring having him attached to me all day long, as I can't do anything besides sit there and nurse him.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Newborn constantly nursing?

• Sorry I can't help but I am in the same boat as you. I wonder if he's not getting enough though which is making me consider exclusively pumping so I can see how much he's getting.
  • I was wondering the same thing at first, as well. But, when he's nursing, I can hear him sucking and swallowing, which was what I was told by the LC in the hospital to really watch for to make sure he was getting milk, and he has a good output of wet/dirty diapers a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • My lo is 9 months but I recall there is a 2 week growth spurt. My LC said nurse 20min each side then wait the rest of the 2 hours. I fed every 2 hours( when not napping) start to start so really you're only making babe wait 20 min before offering again. It's good b it builds your supply but also give you rest breaks to pee it eat etc.
  • Cluster feeding / frequent nursing is a totally normal thing. It usually occurs around growth spurts.

According to KellyMom.com:

Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don’t read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.

These spurts usually last 2-3 days.

Wanting to do other things is natural, but really feeding your baby is your main job right now. Switching to EPing doesn't eliminate growth spurts. Many nursing moms get frustrated from cluster feeding but if you just change your attitude and realize that nursing is what you and your baby do together early on it might help. Also, start learning how to nurse your baby in a carrier. That will allow you to get mobile and get things done while you nurse your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cluster feeding is totally normal. But you may want to make sure that he's actually hungry. Some people wont use pacifiers, but I never had a problem with nipple confusion and it helped my babies who just wanted to suck. Also, I found that my kids hunger cues and tired cues are very similar. And maybe he just wants to be rocked to sleep.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Sounds like a growth spurt. We had one at 10 days, 3 weeks, and a really serious one that I think made my butt permanently flat at 6 weeks. The later growth spurts weren't as sudden and intense for us as those first 3. I wished I had learned to nurse in a carrier because that would have been really helpful. I agree with @natsgirl12. The baby needs more milk so to get you to make more milk he's nursing non stop. I tried to embrace the time spent sitting by getting a new book and binge watching shows.
  • Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm just now getting a chance to respond.

The constant nursing has seemed to calm down a bit today and he is actually sleeping for about an hour to a hour and a half before wanting to eat again(Or at least he has so far today.). He has also now taken to comfort nursing, which didn't seem to be the case before, as I could hear him sucking and swallowing each time he wanted to eat. They gave him a pacifier in the hospital and we've never had a problem with nipple confusion, so I'm using it sparingly when I really need a break to eat, run to the bathroom, etc.

I know that even comfort nursing can help with milk supply and I want to EBF as long as I can, so I don't mind too much. I feel much better after having gotten some rest, as I'm still recovering from his birth, so I don't feel as frustrated that he is in my arms constantly. I still need to look into using the sling I bought, as I still could use free hands sometimes to do things around the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"