September 2015 Moms
Options

why do some of you get so many US' s?????

I'm curious as to why some gals get a ultrasound so much? My doc pretty much said I get one at 8 weeks and 20 weeks? To me that is just torture! Also some seem more zoomed in and get several pictures and all I got was some flimsy far away one lol. Any thoughts? Can I request a US?

Re: why do some of you get so many US' s?????

• Options
    It really just depends on the doctor. My doctor does a dating ultrasound and then a 20 week anatomy scan normally unless there's complications. I also had the NT scan last week so I will have 3 in total if the rest of my pregnancy stays normal and I don't experience any complications. I don't believe you can just request one because they are super expensive and I think you need a reason to have one! I could be wrong though, you could always ask your doctor at your next appointment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had 3 before I hit 8 weeks, but all of them were for viability reasons due to continuous spotting up until 7 and a half weeks and they needed to rule out miscarriage/molar/ectopic pregnancy. Once they determined I had a viable baby, I was diagnosed with hypertension, which means that I'm at higher risk for eclampsia and placental abruption, so I get ultrasounds almost every visit to check the placenta, a byproduct of which is that I see baby more often. But it is definitely only because I am higher risk, not because it's standard procedure.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well, I knew that the more complications the more US, but I just feel like from what I have seen on here there are some ladies that even without complications get to see there baby more and have pictures from odd weeks. But maybe I am just being presumptuous? I have an appt in 2 weeks and I just really want to see the bebe! But I suppose I just need to go with what they say.
  • Options
    I'm 12 weeks and have had 3 ultrasounds: one at 8 weeks for dating, one at 8w5d due to spotting after my 8 week appointment (at my request just to make sure the baby was ok), and one at 12 weeks for the Nuchal Translucency scan (this was optional, but we opted in since our insurance covered it). We received a few photos at all of them, but the first photos we received weren't very good. It all depends on the US tech and how much they care to get you a good photo, since the purpose of the US is medical and not to take photos (even though of course that's what we all want!). I'll have my next ultrasound at 20 weeks, and then that should be it unless there are com
  • Options
    ... complications. I think it all depends on your OB and clinic, but there are places that do elective ultrasounds if you pay out of pocket and really want some good photos.
  • Options
    I have had a bunch because of previous history of loss (+4) and because I went to the urgent care one day because I was worried and cramping. I had two children before my mc history and only had a 2 or 3 u/s the whole time.
  • Options
    I getting a few because my gynecologist does not deliver babies but still gave me a first US. That was at about 7 weeks.
    This week I went to my new doctor and she gave me another US and I am 11 weeks.
    Next week I'm getting another one! This one will be for the genetic screening.
    So yeah, there are a few.
  • Options
    I think it has a lot to do with your past medical history and the doctor.
    I switched OBs and this one is a lot more through than the one I went to with my son. I have irregular periods so I had a dating US at 8 weeks. I will have another US at 12 weeks then the anatomy scan around 18-20 weeks. Also, I had tons of blood work done, checking things most doctors don't even check for. Plus I already did the 1 hour glucose test even though I'm not diabetic and I did not have GD with my son. Again, my doctor is extremely cautious. I will have to repeat the 1 hour glucose around week 28 even though my results from 8 weeks were normal.
    I'm pretty sure the mutilple ultrasounds some women get is because of previous losses, high risk situations, etc.
  • Options
    I've had 3 already, however we were seen and treated by an RE so I had one at 6.5 weeks and one at 8.5 before I was released to the OB. My first appointment there I had my 3rd, I assume it's standard practice for new patients. I think from here out I will only have one more, the 20 week one.
  • Options
    ART is another reason. I have had 3 so far (for this pregnancy) . One to make sure it wasn't ectopic, one because of bleeding (a side effect of ART because fertility drugs can increase the endometrius and therefore women can have more blood vessels close to the surface) and 1 to be released by my RE to an OB.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had three and I'm 13 weeks. Not high risk. First for dating (I have irregular periods) so I was only 4 weeks! (Only a sac). Then at 8 weeks (to confirm pregnancy). Then my NT scan a couple of days ago. We got a CD with 8 really nice pictures from the 8 week scan. And 15 really good pictures from the NT scan a few days ago. My US tech is awesome though, very sweet and the practice in going to has really good tech.
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy my doctor was AWESOME! He did an US every single visit. He was the one who did them not a tech so it was really cool. He also did a couple 3D throughout my pregnancy. I was not high risk this was just his way. He would tell me he knows how badly I want to see my baby so let's go see it! He was too full to accept this pregnancy & I'm very sad about it. I loved that doctor!
  • Options
    My SIL has gestational diabetes. She gets scans very frequently to moniter baby's growth and health when she has sugar spikes. I'm thirteen weeks and haven't had one at all because I'm low risk and my midwife's office doesn't do them more than needed. We chose not to do the NT scan because our risks for genetic issues are astronomically low and it would cause more stress than anything as there are so many false positives. We'll have our anatomy scan at nineteen weeks, but other than that, we won't have any others. As long as I get to hear baby's heartbeat at my appointments, I'm happy.
  • Options
    I had one at 7w to find out how far along I was because I didn't remember LMP (oops), then my dr did one at my 8w appt in his office. I will have one for the NT scan next week at 13w, and then I think the next one is the 20w anatomy scan? Although my doc was kind enough to offer to try to squeeze us in at 16w appt to find out the sex! We told him we are probably going to one of the 3D places at 14w cause we're impatient lol but hey I will take as many U/S as I can get :D. I guess it just depends on the doc and like PPs said, health concerns with mommies.
  • Options

Well, I knew that the more complications the more US, but I just feel like from what I have seen on here there are some ladies that even without complications get to see there baby more and have pictures from odd weeks. But maybe I am just being presumptuous? I have an appt in 2 weeks and I just really want to see the bebe! But I suppose I just need to go with what they say.

This is my 3rd pregnancy . first two I had maybe four . now this time I have had three and I have another in two weeks only because it twins. I use to work for a private office they did US EVERY VISIT. Which caused problems in the practice due to no medical necessary reason.

• Options
    My doctor always orders one to at the first appt to verify the due date based on size. Then the nuchal, and then because my first pregnancy had complications, and my second one miscarried, I've been told I'll have the 20 wk followed one each week in the last month, possibly more the last trimester.
  • Options
    Depends on history. Had one at my first appt. baby's heart rate was slow so they did another the following week to check progression.
    I had a scare snd they did another.
    Now we're onto Doppler and I think that's it til18 weeks.
  • Options
    You only get 2?! I get one each month & after 22 weeks, I get 2 a month!
    Not a high risk, no health issues...maybe you just have a stingy doctors office/insurance
  • Options
    I only get one at 8 and 20 weeks as well. I had the option of a 12 wk one for the genetic testing but we opted out. They use the doppler at my apts every 4 weeks but thats it. No reason to get more unless you have complications. My friend got us a gift card for an early u/s to determine gender so we will have that next week but we wouldn't even be doing that if we didn't get it as a gift!
  • Options
    baker1jm2 said:

I only get one at 8 and 20 weeks as well. I had the option of a 12 wk one for the genetic testing but we opted out. They use the doppler at my apts every 4 weeks but thats it. No reason to get more unless you have complications.

Same for me. I had one at 8 wks. Opted out of the genetic testing because I would not go through with the amniocentosis if something were up, nor would I terminate so seemed pointless and worrying. I'll gets another at 20 weeks. Not finding out gender though!!

• Options
    No complications, my doctor just does one at every appointment which means once a month until 30 something weeks and then once a week.
  • Options
    You all must have amazing insurance. I am allowed 2 if there are no pressing concerns.
  • Options
    I have horrible insurance it only covers 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks. Despite this I had one at 8 because of spotting and 12 weeks for the nt scan by my choice. They found I have a short cervix and now I'll be getting extra transvaginal us to check that all uncovered by my insurance but I'm grateful for the 12 week one due to them finding this issue with cervix
  • Options
    I only get 1 US at 20 weeks to make sure baby is developing normally. Last time I had to have 2 because the baby was positioned in a way where they couldn't measure everything that they wanted to. My insurance only covers 1 so I'm okay with only having to have 1 cause they're not cheap!
  • Options
    I've already had 3 (week6, week7, week9) and having another at week 11 (this week) but after 2 previous loses my RE doesn't mind doing it. Calms nerves. If they list you as high risk you get more covered. I'm getting released to my OB this week so they'll go back to a normal schedule

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

• Options
    My doctor isn't giving me an ultrasound till 20w when I find out the gender is that normal can I ask for 1 before
  • Options
    I get one every visit :)
    My doc is very personal I wanna say he always takes his time and never makes me feel like Iam being rushed out also he has his own machine in the office so it's something he does in every visit with my 1st done doc didn't so he sent me to us place only one time so with my second I searched for a place that has the own machine I have no health risks my doc is just very caring and personal his the only doc in the office
  • Options
    For the 1st baby, I only had an ultrasound at 20 weeks to find out the gender and measurements. I'm with the same office, but had some bleeding so they did an ultrasound then saw that the neural sac was a little thick so now I have to go in for NT ultrasound. Hoping no more complications
  • Options
    Well I appreciate all the input! This definitely gives me perspective and clears up my envy in some ways ; 0). So apparently some offices are just really cool, some it's all about what your insurance can do, or it depends on complications. @baker1jm2 what a great gift! What kind of place do you do that at? Is it super expensive?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"