1st Trimester

Standing ALOT

I do a lot of standing at work I'm wondering if this is safe or a hazard? How long do u stand before u take a break?

Re: Standing ALOT

• Nurses, servers, Drs, cashiers, hair dressers all stand for long hours.
    it is not a health hazard. buy some support hose, they help a lot.
  • I work in retail so would be standing all day but luckily my boss has got me somewhere to sit since I told them I was pregnant. ,personally I can't stand for more than 2 hours without feeling dizzy and light headed, I think I'd be very ill if I had to. I guess it's different for everyone, but don't push yourself too hard. It's your employers job to make sure you're alright. If they can't provide you with a seat they should give you a different job to do where you can sit. Failing that I think they have to give you paid leave.
  • Loading the player...
  • sjanguyen said:

I do a lot of standing at work I'm wondering if this is safe or a hazard? How long do u stand before u take a break?

What? If you did it before pregnancy then it's fine. Just don't lock your knees & stay hydrated.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I stand up about 8ish hours a day and did the same with DS. As PP stated, pregnancy isn't a disability. A lot of women do the same. Comes with the territory. Just ensure you relax on your breaks.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a dance teacher and am jumping and standing and moving around and bouncing between the floor and standing CONSTANTLY, my boss and I have both been pregnant at the job and everything turned out great for her and is so far fine for me, I know lots of dancers who even stuck with pointe throughout their pregnancy, so unless you have a medical condition you'll be fine. Granted, it IS exhausting, but just keep hydrated, pack healthy snacks (I do mini snacks of grapes or a small handful of popcorn, etc. and have one every hour on the hour while working) and if you start getting weak or dizzy just slow your pace down a bit and try to focus on breathing... and maybe refill your water bottle ;) 
  • I agree with everyone else I am unclear why you would think that it would be an issue. Unless your doctor tells otherwise you can generally do pretty much everything during pregnancy that you were doing before
  • Hmm, I might be worried about a pregnant woman standing in the hot sun all day, but not just a job which is mostly standing. Make sure you keep well hydrated.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"