3rd Trimester

Postpartum hospital / breastfeeding question for first time mom

I am 4 days away from my due date and have a question for experienced mom's. I've been told once you are discharged from the hosp you are sent home with pain meds, but if you're on pain meds and breastfeeding won't the medicine pass through to the baby? Do you think pain meds are necessary after birth? Is there a safe way to take the meds if you need them while also protecting baby? Thanks for any insight and wisdom ladies!

Re: Postpartum hospital / breastfeeding question for first time mom

• I had a csection with my dd and will have another this baby. Pain meds were a must after major surgery and I still breastfed my daughter with no issues. I tried to keep the dosing as minimal as possible and only when I needed it. If you have a normal vaginal birth you might not need much after birth other than some Motrin which is fine to take while breastfeeding.
  • jbeth1616 said:

I am 4 days away from my due date and have a question for experienced mom's. I've been told once you are discharged from the hosp you are sent home with pain meds, but if you're on pain meds and breastfeeding won't the medicine pass through to the baby? Do you think pain meds are necessary after birth? Is there a safe way to take the meds if you need them while also protecting baby? Thanks for any insight and wisdom ladies!

I got Inprofen & Vicodin. They give you instructions & everything is BF safe. I took them both times for pain & the babies are fine. Maybe a little drowsy-- but being newborns they are hella-sleepy anyway. I didn't have trouble waking them with a diaper change ;) .

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I never been sent home with pain meds. Are you having a csection? It's most likely necessary with a csection and safe to take while breastfeeding. With a vaginal birth, I was told I could take the usual OTC pain meds like Tylenol but that's it.

I had Vaginal births but significant perineal tearing. The stitches etc required some pain management. So, sometimes vaginal birth can require some pain pills upon discharge too.

:-h

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I'm not scheduled for a c section, so I wasn't too sure of the protocol with otc medicine or prescription meds. So this was super informative! I feel alot better now knowing if I tear or have a c section the little man will be ok when I bf. Thank you all!
  • Talk to your doctor regarding the meds if you are given any. I didn't have any.
  • I had tearing and stitches and went home with Advil- nothing more. I don't recall being given anything stronger in the hospital either. You could ask the lactation consultant at the hospital that would likely be the best advise.
  • You're doctor will know what is safe for you and your baby.
  • I never been sent home with pain meds. Are you having a csection? It's most likely necessary with a csection and safe to take while breastfeeding. With a vaginal birth, I was told I could take the usual OTC pain meds like Tylenol but that's it.

I had Vaginal births but significant perineal tearing. The stitches etc required some pain management. So, sometimes vaginal birth can require some pain pills upon discharge too.

:-h
    Interesting. I had a perineal tear with my first child that required 6 stitches and still they sent me home with nothing. Bums.
    That's no good! :-q

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Always Ask The Doctor And Pharmacist If meds Are Safe For BreastFeeding
  • Breastfeeding will not go well if you are in pain. I've had 2 c-sections and both times I went home with percocet (which is tylenol and oxycodone) around the clock for a few days. Both of my babies breastfed well and had no issues with grogginess or trouble latching on. If you have surgery or end up with some tearing or hemorrhoids from delivery, the pain meds may be necessary to help you get through it. Also, your uterus will be doing some major contracting to get back down to normal size. The act of breastfeeding often activates some serious uterine cramps in the first few days. I experienced a lot of cramping and nausea during breastfeeding. If I had skipped the pain meds, I might have given up.

After having 2 babies, my advice is to trust the doctor and pharmacist. They know what is safe for breastfeeding and won't prescribe you anything that will harm your baby. If you want to double check, you can always ask or read the label. 
  • I had an emergency c section. They sent me home with a strong pain med, Vicodin or the like.

I took it once, and never needed it again. It never caused any issues with our breast feeding. DD latched 45 minutes after she was born.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker