March 2015 Moms

FTM, freaking the eff out! PLEASE HELP!!!

im 38 weeks now and as I get closer to my due date I can't help but wonder what I will do to manage labor pain :-/ I've never been through this before being a first time mom but this is what I'm dealing with. I've wanted a natural birth, no meds, since day one but as time goes by I keep rethinking it because I already can't deal with the pain im having now. I know for a fact I don't want an epidural because I want to be able to feel how I'm pushing but at the same time I'm terrified of tearing and the pain being so intense that I'll end up wanting some type of medication. I know that most ppl will say to just do whatever feels appropriate and that it'll all be worth it but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if you've been through this how did you go about it. Thanks to anyone that decides to provide any input.

Best Answer

Answers

• edited February 2015
    I'm sorry I'm not any help. I was induced last time, never progressed then had a c-section.
    All I can tell you is your fears are totally normal. It's exciting and scary all at the same time.
    Hopefully you get some good advice from someone who's been through it.
    Good luck !

There's actually a thread where a lot of women discussed pain meds and natural birth. Good info on there :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @Christina80xoxo thank you so much for replying! if it's not too much to ask for could you direct me to the thread? If you remember which one it is. Id really like to get as much info on this as possible:/
  • I am a FTM so I can't answer the whole mess vs none part but I will say that anytime I start to freak out about having the baby I sit down and re-read some of my childbirth books. I personally have the Mayo Clinics guide to healthy pregnancy. It's very no nonsense and specific as to what will happen during labor. For me this helps knowing from a medical perspective what will be happening at each stage so I can mentally prepare myself for the process. I also really want to try and go naturally but like you am scared of the pain, especially tearing. I know though that there are also localized pain options for things like tearing that I can utilize instead of a full epidural if I am able to handle the contractions and pushing.
  • Did vaginal with no epidural for my first. It's not that bad. The pain doesn't last forever. I needed 3 stitches for tearing. Healed pretty quickly and hubby said after my recovery, everything felt the same "down there". You should try it, if you don't like it, don't do it again. :)
  • Im on baby #3 and i still get scared for labor. Its natural. Ive had pretty good and easy labors with my other two..so im always like this is the one that is going to be the worst! Just try to relax....our bodies are meants for this :)
  • As far as the epidurals go, I've had pretty good experiences. As long as you lay off the extra dose as you get closer to being fully dilated, you can feel the contractions, pressure and when to push. So, if it comes to you feeling like you can't handle it without pain meds, just keep that in mind. I've attempted vaginal births a few times without meds and never made it. I'm making one more attempt at it this time too. Good luck to you!
  • I'm a first time mom and this is purely my opinion but I'm getting and epidural and I don't feel bad about my choice. Here's why: yes woman are designed to give birth and have been doing it for 1000 of years. But human beings like all animals on this planet are imperfect and humans have created medical interventions to improve our odds for other things, so why feel guilty about pain manage. For example I'm diabetic. 1000 years ago when woman were giving birth unassisted, diabetic people died bc they could not control their insulin levels and their glucose levels. Another example, if someone has tonsillitis and needs surgery they get pain relief. I know many may think the analogies are not the same and that I may be putting my child at risk. But I agree to disagree.

I love my child more than anything, and I'm sure I could suck it up and give birth pain med free, but if I don't have to be in pain I'm not going to be. Epidurals have been used for many years. The technique and medicine used has been studied and improve upon and I am confident that my baby is not at risk so I will be getting one.

So my advice to you is this arm yourself with real knowledge. Read medical based books on the topic like many of these other moms have suggested and make the decision that you are most comfortable and confident with and DONT LET ANYONE MAKE YOU FEEL BAD OR LESS THAN FOR WHATEVER CHOICE YOU MAKE. You obviously care about your child otherwise you wouldn't be worried,I have every confidence that whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

I'm doing epidural free but this is all so true ^^^ do your research, but confident and stick to it! :)
  • Is gas and air available where you are? It doesn't get rid of the pain, just takes the edge off and the effects only last 30-45 seconds after you stop sucking it so your back in total control as soon as you want. You just just take a few breaths as the contraction starts and eases the pain.
  • The Ina May book recommended above is great! I read it cover to cover before my first. And I knew I was going to have a hospital birth with a dr, not a midwife, no birthing center. I also chose to get an epidural. But reading all the birth stories really prepared me for what labor would be like. I liked reading about women laboring in different positions (not just moaning in bed). I didn't even realize it at the time, but I got my preferred laboring position from diagrams in this book (squatting while hanging onto my husband's neck with both arms). I felt prepared after reading a lot of different perspectives and watching the videos in my childbirth class.
  • I'm a FTM too, so I have no experience (sorry). Here's what has worked for me so far... Reminding myself that my body is made to do this. Many women have babies every day & use various methods to do so.
    I'm planning for a natural birth too, but I just keep reminding myself that if things go off plan that it's okay too.
    Have you tried any coping devices, like breathing or meditation, to help you deal with the stress?
  • Thank you sooooooo much to everyone that replied I feel very relieved and a lot more calm now after reading all the positive and supportive comments!
  • I had an epidural with my first one as soon as they broke my water because of the pain. With my second, I wanted to go all natural. They had me on Pitocin but the contractions weren't unbearable.... until I went past 5. Once full labor started, I was begging for an epidural but one problem was they didn't have time. I delivered in 45 minutes. Yes, it was excruciating and I felt everything from her cutting me so I wouldn't tear, delivering the placenta, and then getting sewn up. After it was over, I felt accomplished and empowered although sore. Just remember that women had been delivering babies since women were made naturally and it is entirely possible. Our bodies were made to do this amazing thing.
  • I had an epidural that didnt work with my first and an epi that did work yesterday with my second. My second birth was 100 percent more amazing because I was not hurting and could enjoy the whole birthing experience. Being able to sit up and smile at 10 cm just blew my mind. When i delivered my first, I collapsed from exhaustion and the dr had to tell me to look at her! This time, I was able to take everything happening in.
  • I always say to people would you get a tooth pulled without a shot? It's going to hurt without meds absolutely ...this is my second baby and the epidural saved my life lol!!! My contractions where terrible !!!! People say negative things about the epidural but the stress and pain without it can't possibly be healthy for the baby either ... I would say get the epidural decide that now before your in the room screaming for it and it's to late
  • I'm not going to lie but labor is simply awful. I can tell you that if they don't induce in any way, your body has time to acclimate to the contractions. I was given drugs to help me dilate. This made the contractions come on really strong and fast, not giving me time to prepare. It was simply awful. The pain is so intense that your mind really helps you cope by putting you in your own world. That is the best way for me to describe. When I did get an epidural 24 hours after labor started, I was so relieved.

BabyName Ticker'>Thoward

• Totally agree with thoward1968. I've labored a few different ways, and once with pitocin after my water broke and I had no contractions on my own and wasn't dilated. That was the only labor that had me literally passing out in between contractions and waking up again at the start of the next. That was the only labor experience that had me kind of testy too. I was good once I got an epi though. Not trying to scare anyone, but just be prepared for a very different type of labor than one that starts on its own, naturally.

I'm not going to lie but labor is simply awful. I can tell you that if they don't induce in any way, your body has time to acclimate to the contractions. I was given drugs to help me dilate. This made the contractions come on really strong and fast, not giving me time to prepare. It was simply awful. The pain is so intense that your mind really helps you cope by putting you in your own world. That is the best way for me to describe. When I did get an epidural 24 hours after labor started, I was so relieved.

• jsaumjsaum member
    I agree with a lot of moms on here educate yourself as much as possible about natural birth, tearing, risks, epis, there's no shame in getting meds if you simply can't take the pain. I think close to everyone plans on a drug free birth but you don't realize your pain tolerance until you're in labour. It's a completely different experience of pain. Our bodies are meant to do this and if you can find a meditation or relaxation technique to help you cope more power to you. If not, save your energy go as far as you can and its there if you need it. Best of luck!!
  • This really isn't a helpful comment for people seeking intervention-free birth. The way you choose to birth is your choice. Pain is subjective and the more you fear it, the more labor will hurt. Your comment seems to serve only to create fear, which is unnecessary. 
  • Really very comforting and helpful but unfortunately I am being induced on Sunday which is not how I wanted this to go!

Will take on board waft you have said about your mindset and positivity though.

Thank you xx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"