September 2014 Moms

Bracheocephaly

Hi All,

While I have, for quite a while, loved reading all of your posts and conversations, this will be the first time that I am posting anything myself.  I suppose that I am just looking for some thoughts and possible advice.  DS will turn 5 months tomorrow and since he was about two months old, I have been concerned about a flat spot on the back of his head.  DH and I brought this up to our pediatrician but she seemed confident that it would work itself out.  The other week, at his last appointment, however, she recommended that we visit a physical therapist at children's hospital and also gave us a pamphlet about cranial bands.  We have made an appointment, but I cannot stop worrying.

I have been googling to the point of near insanity and I wanted to see if any of you are dealing with similar situations or have had any experience in this area. 

Thank you ladies!

Re: Bracheocephaly

• I will think positive thoughts for you! We noticed a flat spot early on and her turning her head one side only more frequently. We brought it up at her 2mos check up and got referred to a PT. After a couple of months, I'm happy to say that her neck has strengthened and her head has rounded out nicely again. Getting her to turn her head was the biggest issue as well being on her back too much during the day.

• We have taken our little girl for her initial screening as well as one follow-up appt so far. As of right now, her measurements for needing a band are on the marginal side and she will be reevaluated in 3 more weeks. Our cranial band office recommending more tummy time (which she hates anyway) and we position her on different sides each night. Left side one night, right side the next. It's natural to be nervous about it. If your son does need a band, take heart that it is easier on them during the cooler weather and with treatment, he may only have to wear it a few months. Best wishes!
  • Loading the player...
  • natalie559natalie559 member
    edited March 2015
    My baby had a very symmetrical flat spot on the back of her head that I
    worried about.  I bought a mimos pillow size L off amazon and started
    using it anytime she was on her back at 4 months 1 week old.  Around the
    same time she started rolling over and doesn't always sleep on the back
    of her head now and we also started using the bumbo seat more.  She is
    almost 6 months now and there has been a good change in the shape of her
    head, it is more round and the hair has regrown where she had rubbed it
    off.  I definitely think the pillow contributed and wish we had used it
    from day 1.  But I also think her rolling over and using the chair has
    helped too, so hard to say how much help from which thing.  Both the doc
    and my mom said it would work itself out naturally, but the pillow gave
    me comfort knowing I was trying something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"