Pregnant after 35

What are you doing for pain control during labor?

mattandloramattandlora member
edited February 2015 in Pregnant after 35
Are you going natural? Getting an epidural? Using pain meds but no epidural?

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

What are you doing for pain control during labor? 38 votes

Natural - no pain meds at all.
34% 13 votes
Pain meds but no epidural. I want to be able to walk
7% 3 votes
Epidural, but hopefully still able to feel mild contractions to help with pushing
31% 12 votes
Epidural, I don't want to feel a thing!
15% 6 votes
C-section
10% 4 votes

Re: What are you doing for pain control during labor?

• I don't know how to reply right now.  I would say Epi but I may not be able to because of my back surgery.  They were talking about a gas I could use.  We will see, I still have a long way to go.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    ~Formerly ABabyMabe4us

Me(35) Him(35) Untied for life 4/1/2015.
    TTC Our 1st since 8/2014
    MC @ 7 weeks 5/2014
    Me: DD#1 3/2000, DD#2 6/2001, DS 5/2003
    BFP: 2/19/2015 EDD: 11/1/2015 IT'S A BOY!!!!

• I am all for the meds!  I am pretty sure epidural, though it's hard to know not having been through this before.  I figure I am doing everything I can during pregnancy to make sure the baby is good, and am giving up a lot of things that could be considered dangerous (haven't even taken any pain relievers or allergy meds), so I am all for pain relief at the end of the road, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had 7 so far without any type pain relief, through all sorts of situations so I pretty much figure I will be good to go, no meds with this one too
  • I am all for pain relief and am not opposed to an epidural, am not scared to get one, and also of the mindset that I've been good for 40 weeks, so I deserve drugs! But, I'm also quite stubborn, and think highly of my pain threshold, so I will probably try to hold out as long as possible. I'm no yoga master, not at all, but I've been in enough yoga classes to have adopted the breathing techniques to relax and breathe thru painful experiences. Also, I believe life is about experiences, and pain is part of this experience, so...

Bah. Who are we kidding? I'll probably tap out and call for drugs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had two med free births, so am really hoping for another complication free labour that allows the same.

I can truly say I love giving birth. The pain doesn't bother me, it's just part of it. But obviously my experience is unique and no one can say if their pain is comparable to others experience of pain.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I've had migraines since I was 12 and this pregnancy and the last were no exceptions. I can't take migraine medication while pregnant, just Tylenol, which doesn't do an effing thing. My migraines last for several days. I know the pain is different, but I figure I've had enough pain associated with this pregnancy, and I'm getting the epidural. However, I'd still like to feel about a 3/10 pain so that I know when to push.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• I have had three deliveries with an epidural. I love being able to sit there and joke with the nurses while I wait for my body to dialate. The epidurals have elimated all pain, but I had no problem figuring out when to push. That is more of a pressure sensation than pain. I plan to do the same this time. I avoid any oral drugs because I want to be fully there and not drugged up.
  • I had an epidural with my first and really enjoyed my daughter's birth. I could still feel pressure and was alert enough to know what was going on. It was great :)

I am a little worried with this second baby though. I had a very quick birth, only pushed for 30 minutes. The doctor said I may need to camp out at the hospital when I'm due because this one may come quick. I'm worried I may not be able to take any meds!
  • I just started the hypnobabies CD, so the plan is unmedicated... but as a FTM, I don't really know what to expect and am not going to beat myself up if the plan changes.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• I am planning to do hypnobirthing and a water birth for pain management.
  • I plan on natural, unmediated with hypnobirthing, I am open to laboring in my tub if I can
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"