Working Moms
Options

Pumping during full day interview

i have a full day interview (normal in my field) next week but will still need to pump at least once during the day. My contact is a man, I'm inclined to just be honest that I am still nursing and will need a 20 min break and somewhere private with an outlet in the middle of the day. Sound reasonable? Any other suggestions? The job doesn't start until July when I will have weaned so I hate that I'll even have to mention it. Thanks!

Re: Pumping during full day interview

• Options
    I would probably just try to pump before or after lunch. Do you have a battery pack for your pump?
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    I would guess if its a full day interview that you will be having lunch with them as well.  If its possible for you to pump right before the interview and hold off for the rest of the day I would do that.  If not, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for the pump break!  He may have had a pumping wife or other employees that have pumped and understands.  I would wait until a transition time was available to pump, like between people.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you just do a 10 min pump in the bathroom to relieve pressure?
  • Options
    If be open and honest. I'd hope they wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • Options
    I've actually got the same thing going on, and the same sort of situation (LO is 10 months old, so I won't be pumping by the time the job starts). I bought a manual pump to stick in my purse, and I figured I'd just sneak away for a few minutes to pump and dump. 
  • Options
    I would be upfront honest and ask. I think it would be good to see how a potential employer responds to this sort of request. What if you have another child? This could be one way to gauge the employers willingness or flexibility regarding family life.

Also, I was pumping when I interviewed (all day) three years ago for my current job and they were more than happy to accommodate me. They continue to be supportive of me and my family in pretty much every way!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    How was your interview?

• Options
    It went really well and they were great about a space for me to pump. Removed, quiet, lockable door, and a plug! Pretty sure I won't get an offer though bc I told them what my salary would have to be in order to take it(they asked) and I think it's too high for them. It would require relocating for us though so needs to be considerably higher than what I make now. Great experience though and really neat place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"