Postpartum Depression

depression & anxiety - off meds and TTC

cmondorecmondore member
edited February 2015 in Postpartum Depression
Hello!

I'm new to the site, so hello :)
I know this is a Postpartum depression board, but it seemed like a better fit for my post than the TTC board.

My fiancé and I are TTC and my doctor has weaned me off my antidepressant. My issue with depression and anxiety is a chemical imbalance and not situational. I've always had these issues for as long as I can remember. For me, depression manifests itself as anger with a flash temper and my anxiety feels like a hyperactivity disorder. I have no time to think about my reaction or what I'm reacting to, it just happens. I am trying to implement a 5 second counting period before I react, but it's very hard to make it a habit. I'm also very sensitive to what, and how, others say things and very defensive. It really just makes life hard in general and I hate being like this. Last night my fiancé actually said "Do you ever wonder why people don't want to talk to you?". That really hurt my feelings and I know it's not really how he thinks and was him being fed up with the "crazy me". And it's only been 1 month since I was weaned off! I will say that being aware of the chemical imbalance does make me feel a little less intense than before I knew the cause. It's just that I know I'm not the most pleasant person to be around when I'm off my meds. The meds really helped me feel like a normal human being.

So now I've been weaned off my meds and I know that it's going to be a loooong time before I can go back on it. Does anyone have any tips or advice to get through this? Thank you in advance!

Re: depression & anxiety - off meds and TTC

• Look up mindfulness techniques and exercises :) they were a godsend when I was off my anti anxiety pills. I'm new to this board too and I'm always here if you wanna talk <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"