Attachment Parenting

Cosleeping and expecting

Hi! I just got my bfp and I'm so excited! My first child just turned two, and here's my issue, he still nurses often at night. (He slept 12 hours two days in a row when he was about five months old, but not since.) Honeslty, I'm lucky if he sleeps longer than 2 hours. I don't mind. I usually get enough sleep, and everything, I'm just nervous about what I'm going to have to do when the new baby comes. Thoughts? Anything to share?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Cosleeping and expecting

• First congrats on your happy news! As for the co-sleeping well this is my life right now.. As I also chose to nurse my son at night till he was just about 2.. we developed a co-sleeping 'habit' which we don't mind but now that he has been completely weaned for almost a year and I am in my third tri I am definetely starting to feel like its time he starts sleeping in his big boy bed- thing is he still wakes up once or twice a night and wraps his arms around me or daddy just to make sure we are still there.. on those occasions where I have tried putting him to bed (after falling asleep on me of course) he has woken up and ended back in bed with us.. so idk I would recommend you wean your toddler and get him use to his bed (and while I am giving this advice I should be taking it my self) also while we do co-sleep now it didn't actually start since DS1 was about 6 months old he slept in a co-sleeper next to our bed and was just fine and happy.. the real reason why we started co-sleeping was because my husband deployed around that time and my DS became my snuggle baby.. Good luck!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

imageimage

• I am 17w along with #2 and still bedshare with #1. I figure I'll cross the bridge when I get there but the tentative plan is to have DD sleep on DH's outside and new LO will sleep on my outside which is against the wall (where DD slept as a newborn). DH and I are very good at bedsharing (neither of us are heavy sleepers) so this should work out fine.

DD still nurses at night but it is getting less and less frequent. When I first got my BFP she INCREASED her nursing but since about 2-3 months into my pregnancy she went back to normal and then started nursing less. She's plateaued to nursing just for sleeping, once or twice O/N and then occasionally as a wake-up thing. However I here that supply dries up for six weeks around week 20 of pregnancy and that is when the notorius self-weaning may happen.

I'm not really sure what is in our future as far as tandem nursing and bed sharing and having two children and all of it, but I am keeping an open mind and considering the possibilities I can conceive of and having Faith that when the time comes I can keep a clear head and find a solution that has everyone satisfied!

Congrats and GL!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ive slept with a new born and toddler twice so far and will be doing it again (along with tandem nursing)

We have our king matress on the floor and pushed into the corner of the room. Baby sleeps next to the wall in the crook of my arm and toddler sleeps on the other side of me with dh on the end.
    Its worked great so far.
    My big kids choose to sleep in their own beds at 3-4.
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Ive slept with a new born and toddler twice so far and will be doing it again (along with tandem nursing)

We have our king matress on the floor and pushed into the corner of the room. Baby sleeps next to the wall in the crook of my arm and toddler sleeps on the other side of me with dh on the end.
    Its worked great so far.
    My big kids choose to sleep in their own beds at 3-4.

I am nursing my 2 year old daughter and am also expecting. We co-sleep and I plan on tandem nursing and co-sleeping with both when baby comes.
    I'm curious what your night time routine is! My husband works night so I'll be on my own. I'm worried about the second baby since I still nurse my daughter to sleep. I can't get her to go to bed on her own I don't really know how to do that in a nice way. I won't let her CIO. I like to have a few hours at night to clean, meal prep, etc before going I go to bed and stay.
    Any advice please?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• edited September 2015
    If you are wishing to night wean (it only deal with night waking and not total weaning) there is a book called Nursies When the Sun shines which helped mine go without night nursing rather easily at the same age as your #1.
  • BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited November 2015
    My son will be 3 when LO joins us and we co-sleep. I'm worried LO will wake him up and he'll need cuddles to fall back asleep. I guess we'll learn to deal??? Any experience or suggestions?( I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.)
    BabyFetus Ticker