July 2012 Moms

Toddler fatigue

Hello. I'm wondering how active your toddlers are. My son is 2 years and 8 months old. He had open heart surgery at 3 days old (transposition of the great arteries) and has had no complications since then.

I've noticed a decrease in his activity level. Nothing major, but we'll be taking a walk outside and he'll want to be held. Same with going up the stairs, or dancing. He used to jump around for several songs, but now he can only do it for a minute or so. Last week it snowed and every few steps he needed to sit down. He kept saying he was tired. I can't help but think this is abnormal. My husband thinks he is just being uncooperative. Or last week when it snowed my husband's point was that he was wearing too many layers and that made it difficult to walk.

We have a pediatrician appointment next week and I'm planning to ask, but wanted to see what other kids his age are doing.

Re: Toddler fatigue

• Hello. Fellow heart mom here.

First of all, just wanted to let you know that this group moved. There were some changes from the bump and everyone got upset and left. I'm still unclear what exactly happened, but all is gone now.

I would definitely have your son checked out. It is very possible he is being uncooperative, but it sounds to me there is something preventing him from being more active. My son is always bouncing off the walls.
    Is he followed by a cardiologist? I would take him for a follow up echo just to be sure.

My son has a repaired avsd and he is extremely active. I never get the sense that he's tiring out. He has a leaky valve and even so he is still going a mile a minute!

There is a board called "children with heart problems" on babycenter. They are a very active board. I would suggest you go there too.

Hope all works out. Being a heart mom is tough! Hang in there.

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"