TTC after 35
Options

Intro and Advice (Child and Loss mentioned)

Hi Ladies
I am 42 (43 in 2 weeks) with a wonderful 17 year old from my previous marriage. My 39 year old husband and I found out that I was unexpectedly pregnant in early January. For 3 weeks and 2 ultrasounds we began to embrace the idea of becoming parents, and I was devastated when the pregnancy ended at 9 weeks.
Last week we went to an RE who suggested Ovidril, Gonal F, and IUI. Because of my age, we are giving ourselves a 6 month window to try and conceive. That means we will have 5 rounds of IUI.
Do any of you ladies have experiences with this route, or advice for me? All of this is new, confusing, and a little overwhelming for me? Any statistics on success at my AMA?
Thank you, and best luck to each of you on your journeys....

Re: Intro and Advice (Child and Loss mentioned)

• Options
    Welcome! I had my third IUI this morning, but my first with Gonal-F. I noticed a lot of cramping and discomfort in the region of my ovaries these first two weeks, but other than that, it's been fine. I'll let you know how it goes in about 12 days when I have my beta. Good luck!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    I have no experience with IUI but I wanted to welcome you.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome. I'm very sorry for your loss. I am going through my second iui, but not with Gonal-f. It's very overwhelming initially but once you are in the process it isn't too bad, just lots of scheduling. Best wishes for success.
  • Options
    Welcome. My last IUI was with follistim (same as gonal-f). It's nothing to go through just many days of u/s and blood work leading up to the IUI. After that, you're shut down for two weeks With the dreaded 2ww. Good luck!
    41 & single; DX:  PCOS
    TTC #1 with IUI and donor sperm
    First IUI May, 2014, Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    Second IUI July, 2014, Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    Third IUI Dec, 2014, Femara + Follistim + Trigger = BFN
    Fourth IUI Feb 2015, Femara + Follistim + Trigger = C/P :(

• Options
    Welcome! I'm very sorry for your loss. I had three IUIs, and I took Letrozole and husband was encouraged to take over the counter COQ10 to help with his count. Don't be discouraged by my siggy, we changed REs and my second doctors were much more thorough and it was apparent IUIs weren't going to work for us, but I have friends who got pregnant on their first IUI. Good luck!

TTC #1for 21 Months
    Husband: 41
    Me: 36
    3 failed IUIs
    changed REs
    1 failed IVF (chemical pregnancy)
    13 5-day frozen embryos   
  • Options
    GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited February 2015
    Hi, I am sorry for your loss.   I've had several IUI's with injects, and know quite a few people who have also.  The process can feel overwhelming at times.   My RE said that it's hard to interpret stats for AMA because there are such huge differences from woman to woman.   Having conceived on your own recently is an encouraging sign though.

The shots aren't painful, and I didn't have any side effects except for bloating and stronger ovulation pains.   Good luck!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    Welcome and I'm sorry for your loss. I've had 2 IUIs but only used clomid. It is a bit overwhelming to begin with but the hardest part for me was the scheduling.... and my shy cervix which mad it a bit painful. But I don't think most women have that problem. Good luck to you !
    ****Loss Mentioned***
    Me: 41 Him: 41
    TTC since December 2013
    HSG 9/18/14 = Tubes open but T shaped uterus
    IUI #1... 1/6/2015 + 50mg Clomid = BFN
    IUI #2... 1/29 & 30/2015 + 50mg Clomid +Tigger +Progesterone = BFN
    3/14 BFFP! Natural w/acupuncture & herbs only
    EDD = 11/22/15;  No heartbeat = 7/21/15
    Cooper Midnight Johnson born sleeping 7/25/2015

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Welcome! I did several rounds of FSH shots with timed intercourse and one IUI. It was mostly scheduling all the monitoring appts that was a pain and i was traveling sometimes so had a little lunchbox with my meds. 

I am recently 42 and we will now be moving on to ivf. There are stats out there, but as was mentioned above, the individual response is quite variable. The injectables and IUI seem like a good next step. Good-luck!
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• Options
    Welcome and GL! 
    Im so sorry for your loss! 

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14 
This discussion has been closed.