Working Moms
Options

Want to Start Working Again - Need Advice

Hi moms!

I have been a stay at home mom for a few years now but I'm looking to eventually go back to work again.

The problem is, with my resume gap and lack of recent references, I have no idea how to. And I would love some advice.

A little about me:

I am 32 years old. I have a Bachelors degree and I've taken additional courses at different universities.

I have 6 years of experience working in different business environments mostly as an administrative or executive assistant.

I am open to working from home at first but my long term goal is to be back working in an office.

My main dilemma is the long gap on my resume, about 4 years. 

And I do not have any recent references and none that I feel comfortable asking for this favor.

I'm want to "start over" but not sure how to.

I need to build my resume/references back up again but don't know where to start.

Should I look for a job where no experience is required as to make it easier to get a foot back in? Though they may prefer recent college grads and references will still be needed.

Should I volunteer somehow? If so, where?

How do I get by the resume gap and lack of references? What are my options?

I would be incredibly grateful for any advice you can give me.

Thanks so much again!

Re: Want to Start Working Again - Need Advice

• Options
    I think most employers understand a gap in work due to staying at home with children. They will want references, however. Depending on the job, personal references may be okay. I have used references from volunteer experience in the past. You could volunteer with American Cancer Society, a local food bank, the Children's Home Society or some other foster care / adoption organization.... anything really. The main goal is to get your foot in the door for an interview. If they see that you click well with their organization they will overlook the other stuff. My advice - start applying! Good luck!
  • Options
    Hello there! I wouldn't downplay your experience and would just start applying for a role suitable for your experience level. It may take longer, but if you can perform 60% of the tasks I'd say go for it. As for references, I think its OK to ask friends, previous professors, acquaintances if you are really in a pinch. I know when I started out in high school looking for summer jobs I put my pastor as a reference! 

Instead of volunteering, I would start networking-- just let everyone in your circle know that you are searching. Ping up old friends, people from your schools (college/ high school), join a professional society that has seminars to get you up to speed, get a linkedin account, community events, even baby showers. You never know who you might meet that could help you out!  If anything, extra views on your resume, or someone to help with the interviewing practice can help your confidence. 

You can PM me if you need more tips I'd be happy to help. I'm in a similar boat as yourself and know how off-ramping completely from the career field can be very hard to get back in.
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just re-entered the workforce after sah for 4 years. I actually put "stay at home mom" on my resume to make sure that every year was accounted for and there weren't any unanswered questions. I got references from my graduate school professors, a family friend that works in the industry, and my pastor. I included those dated letters with my resume to show that they were current. I also included my subscriptions to professional organizations to show that I stayed current while at home.
  • Options
    Going through a temp agency might not be a bad way to get your foot in the door. That's how I got started with my current company five years ago with no experience in that field.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    It sounds like you have a solid background to work on.

I would check out some temping agencies - as they often have training on different computer programs.  That way you could be sure to brush up or learn new programs - for free.  (There are also a lot of free online classes.)

And as FinchFeeder80 said - you may even find a great job.

I would also see if you could do some small administrative type projects for a school or church etc. for free.  That way you can list some recent experience - and maybe even some referrals.

Best of Luck!

You may even be able to start your own virtual assistant business from home for now - if you have some contacts for work to start and/or are really good at marketing your skills.
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    I SAH for 3 years.  Like a pp mentioned, many understand SAH.  I did not shy away from the fact.  When asked, I said "I had a baby and took some time off."  Why can't you use your previous references?  They can still speak to what you did almost four years ago.  Best wishes to you!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    At our company, we only hire admins through an employment agency. We have the person temp, make sure they are a good fit, then hire them if they are. So I would recommend that route.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"