High-Risk Pregnancy

Bipolar, Pregnant and Moms who relate (I don't know where else to post this discussion)

(I was having a hard time navigating through TheBump and kept posting my discussions in the wrong threads, how embarrassing. I found the topics, but nothing for mental health,)

I am Bipolar and 5 months pregnant. I see my psychiatrist once a month and he and I decided together that Medication (although there are some that are pregnancy safe) shouldn't be a part of my pregnancy and that I should attend intense therapy for the remainder of my pregnancy until I am finished breast feeding and can return to my regular medication and therapy schedules. Even if I had decided to switch to a pregnancy safe medication he said he would have to take me off of it in my third trimester anyway. 

The first few months have been alright, I did notice mood swings, but that comes with the pregnancy territory also. As I become more and more pregnant though, I notices that my mood swings are more rapid and definitely more intense...not just pregnancy mood swings. I feel that pregnancy mood swings on top off Bipolar can get extremely messy. Last night I started to fall into deep depression and today I just don't want to be bothered. I am dragging myself to church and I am going to force myself to do some cleaning around the house in hopes that I can fight depression mode. I just notice myself getting unnecessarily angry, manic and then super depressed in one day and it's a total drag, but I just don't see the point in taking meds right now. 

I guess the point of this post is to make sure I am not alone, to find people who relate and that I can talk to.
I am relatively new to the bump, however active...I still have yet to make some steady bump friends.
So, Bipolar moms I am calling out to you! Let's talk about it! :) <3 

BABY DAVID 6/23/15 <3

Re: Bipolar, Pregnant and Moms who relate (I don't know where else to post this discussion)

• Welcome! I believed I was going through PHD after the birth of my first child. I became paranoid about his safety and was unable to leave him with anyone. I decided to see a Dr for help because the anxiety and intense fear was so bad I could not return to work because of it. My Dr. diagnosed me with PHD and Bi-polar depression. I was taking medication and then found out I was pregnant. ..suprise. the medication I was taking was not ok for pregnancy and while I am so glad that the baby is ok, everything checks out so far, I am having a problem with the emotional roller-coaster ride that hormones and press existing depression have created. I also haven't really found any mom's I can relate to here just yet. It's nice to meet you!
  • Not PHD, PPD sorry auto correct
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband and I are going to TTC soon but we have to wait so I can get off a mood stabilizer. I have bipolar 2 disorder and I'm really scared to get off meds. I've gone from 400 mg to 300 mg (lamactil) and have to go to 0 mg. Anyone gotten off this meds before with good tips to cope? Love there are other bipolar mommies on here!
  • roxytadpoleroxytadpole member
    edited February 2015
    im so happy to of found you guys! im bi-polar/PTSD and was already weening off meds when i took my HPT bc i knew i wanted to get pregnant. well whaddya know im 5w6d! i came off 2mg klonopin. and am weening still from 200 lamictal and 1000 tegretol. i have horrible panic attacks. this stabbing fear of the unknown and all that isnt 'right' yet in my life. like, why do i have to do things the hard way all the time? my bf and i are not married, altho we are in a stable, happy and loving relationship. but it is an 'old familiar' of my undiagnosed years (then i was 20, now i am 32) feeling out of control and irresponsible. i dont want to hurt the baby or myself when coping with the stress on top of hormones. i think on the outside, like at work, i hold myself together very well but in my head i do feel a swing. is anyone afraid that the medicine could have hurt the baby? :-/
  • it was very sudden. about 11:30 started my 2nd m/c. i do think it was the medicine having still been in my system at conception but you never really know. im also a cancer survivor and i have a lot in my mind about if my body has a toxicity to it. im sure ill be on bed rest in the future. best of luck to all.
  • It is so nice to see that I am not alone! Thank you all so much for coming to my thread.  I am sorry I am checking this so late, but I have had a crazy, busy week. So far no intense episodes or break downs, just a little bit of depression. The other day I wanted nothing to do with anything, but the next day I felt fine. Today is my relax day, and I am enjoying it. No mood swings yet today, but I am just breathing and praying and staying positive. @roxytadpole, yes... I am absolutely afraid medications will hurt the baby, that is why I decided not to go back on any thing at all, until after the baby is born and I am finished breast feeding. I quit taking my medications cold turkey before I found out I was pregnant because I had a depression swing for weeks. Then I was talking to my psych and thinking about going back on medications, but decided not to when I found out about the pregnancy. I don't ever advise anyone stop taking medications cold turkey without the advice of their dr. It can be dangerous.  There are Medications, @roxytadpole, that are pregnancy safe. Consult your psychiatrist about what is the best thing for you to do as far as medications and your pregnancy. And congratulations :)

@brandyann15, it is very nice to meet you also. And I am glad to find other mom's that I can relate to :) Keep in touch <3 

BABY DAVID 6/23/15 <3

• Went to the perinatal Dr today. They said I can be on my meds if I need but better to be off. They also said I'll be able to breastfeed on my meds! Never thought I would be able to! So happy to find you ladies!
  • Only this is I'm starting to feel manic recently. Hope it's not going to get out of hand!
  • I am bipolar too and am 6 weeks pregnant. I came off all my medicine in September before my hubby and I started TTC. Obviously I am having the sleep issues as it is 1 am and I am still up. But I have always been a night owl so I am not concerned yet, it's when it gets to no sleep that I get worried. I am a super lucky one who doesn't technically work so I get to spend all my time at home. This often leads to my depression, but I haven't worked since June so I am getting used to it now :) Still looking for a new psychiatrist after switching insurance this year and that is totally stressing me out. Luckily, other than that my bipolar symptoms have been okay. Getting a lot of extra sleep though. 

Anyone else over research all the terrible things? I cannot help it. I will get dragged into a thread on the forum and not be able to leave it, then I end up on Google finding all the statistics and everything else that can happen. It is absolutely terrible and I do not know how to stop it. 
  • I am 7 weeks pregnant and still on my meds. I found out last week I was pregnant and went in for bloodwork and an ultrasound to determine how far along i was. Being pregnant was a major surprise to my spouse and me. I have let my psych know and I have my first prenatal appt tomorrow at 2. I am scared out of my mind of having to come off my meds...I don't want the old me to show It's face. Has anyone stayed on the meds?
  • I started a private group concerning this topic:

https://forums.thebump.com/group/641-mental-illness-and-pregnant-bfing-or-ttc

If anyone is interested in joining I welcome you to request an invite. This is a private group so anything discussed within the group can only be seen by other members of the group :)
  • KonishaKonisha member
    I am 24 and currently 30 weeks today. I was diagnosed bipolar last year. I have been on Lamictal since being diagnosed. I attempted to stop taking my meds when I found out I was pregnant but that it not go well for me. I was super manic then drop into a deep depression. I spoke with my OB and he said that he wanted me to be healthy in order to be able to bring a baby into this world. Then I spoke to my Psychiatrist (who happened to be an OB at one point) she agreed with my OB that me being healthy was important. Yes there are risks of me still taking the Lamictal. But I want to be a mentally stable mom when she comes into this world.
  • Hello! I'm 32 STM 26w1d today...bipolar 2, PTSD and OCD. I haven't had my meds my entire pregnancy and I've only had a few mini episodes (I call them my emotional moments because they pass quickly). Today is my first really bad day. For some reason I'm just very down and irritable. I'm also quitting smoking and this is my 8th day without cigs so not sure if that's adding to it. Everything is setting me on edge. So glad I have an understanding hubby and a good therapist!
  • @Kerabug15 I am sorry you are struggling with this. No one knows what you are going through, as everyone experience is unique but you obviously have a lot of support on here. I was at one time diagnosed as being bi-polar but it was later determined that this was an incorrect diagnosis.
    While I do not have bi-polar disorder based on the diagnoses of every other psychiatrist I've seen since, I have had generalized anxiety disorder, panic attack disorder, and major depression since my father took his own like when I was 12 due to a combination of alcoholism and mental health issues. I've been on every med in the book and finally found Effexor 75mg 2 QD and Klonipin 0.5mg 1-2 PRN anxiety/panic works pretty well for me. Then I got pregnant and had to wean myself off of both within days because taking an SNRI/SSRI while pregnant carries a risk of congenital heart defects. My OB gave me the green light to restart the Effexor during the second trimester but I'd have to stop before entering the third so as not to put the baby at risk of things such as serotonin syndrome. Also, I just wasn't comfortable with all the unknowns these medications can cause.
    On Friday I found out the baby has SUA (two-vessel umbilical cord) and this is also associated with heart defects. So, now I can include major stress on top of the depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and abnormally intense mood swings.
    It's good to know there are other expecting mom's on here who understand what it is like to struggle with mental health problems that go beyond just the typical mood swings and pregnancy-associated depression :)
  • @Konisha I am still on my medication as well. Lamictal 150mg/day and Zoloft 100 mg/day. I cannot breastfeed on Lamictal and my doctor does not recommend me going off my meds due to such high risk of PPD. I have wanted to rebel and get upset from time to time about not being able to breastfeed but my mental state is important for both of us.
  • TacoSarahTacoSarah member
    edited July 2015

Hello ladies

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I have bipolar 2 and am 23 weeks. I take Lamtorigine (Lamictal) and have done for 10 years now. It suits me perfectly. I also add in Wellbutrin during depressive episodes which, luckily, only happen from mid January to mid March every year. 

My usual dosage of Lamotrigine is 150-200 mg daily. During the first trimester I reduced the dosage to 50mg and added in 5mg folic acid. At 14 weeks I increased the dosage to 100mg and straight after the birth I will increase to 200mg and probably add the Wellbutrin.

I've also been advised not to breastfeed if I continue to take Lamotrigine. I did consider switching to another med that is safe, but decided that it's not a good idea to mess with my medication at this stage of my pregnancy. I am very sensitive to medications and it took a long time to find one that suited me, I really don't want to rock the boat now.

It's upsetting that I won't be able to breastfeed my son, but I think it's best for the both of us that I don't.

Both my mum and sister suffered with PPD, so I am a little worried. It will be very ironic if I end up being all unicorns and rainbows after the birth. I think if PPD is going to hit me, it's going to happen when my normal depressive episode does, but at least I know when that is going to be, so can plan ahead.

• I am on 200mg of lamictal along with celexa, seroquel, and atenlol and my Dr. Said that I am totally OK with being able to breastfeed once my baby comes.
  • I am on 200mg of lamictal along with celexa, seroquel, and atenlol and my Dr. Said that I am totally OK with being able to breastfeed once my baby comes.
    Will you be having the baby monitored weekly for the levels of drugs in his/her blood and also the concentration in your breastmilk?
  • Finding this Thread has literally left me with tears in my eyes. I struggle so bad with bi-polar & severe depression. On top of it all I've had 3 kids since 2011& a pregnant now (27 weeks)... No one understands 'Why' I have bad days (sometimes bad weeks). In January I started seeing a wonderful new psychiatrist and she started me on Prestiq & Trileptal. Within 2 weeks my outlook on life & relationships started to improve. Although I was Happy to be pregnant again & my husband was praying for another boy, deep down inside I was saddened bc I knew I would have to change or eliminate my meds all together.
    So, I got off my meds immediately and that was like going thru electric shock PLUS to top it off, I'm on bed rest due to early dilation. It just seems to NEVER be an 'upside' to my life. Getting through each day is an exhausting struggle. So glad to have found this thread.