Nurseries and Baby Gear

Nursery- Spare bed or recliner/rocker?

We are turning a spare room into a nursery.  We are trying to decide if we should leave the spare bed in there, or get rid of it and put a recliner/rocker in place of it. We already have another spare bedroom, so we wouldn't be using the spare bed for guests.  Rather, it would be for us if baby was up at night and we needed a place to lay/sit, and once baby is big enough for a bed we would use that bed.  Or, we could get rid of the bed, and get a reclining rocker instead.  This would allow us to rock baby, which the bed would not have that advantage.  The room is not big enough for both the rocker and the bed, and we do not have a place to store the bed.  What do you think would be more useful in a nursery- spare bed that we could use later, or a recliner/rocking chair?

Re: Nursery- Spare bed or recliner/rocker?

• Get a rocker. I almost didn't get a glider but it's one of the baby items I'm most thankful for. The couch is NOT the same.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Thanks for the advise! :)  I thought keeping the bed would be practical for the future... but thenI was wondering if a "moving" piece of furniture makes a big difference... sounds like it does!
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby is 14 weeks and we have yet to use the glider in her room. Instead we prefer to feed her in our other spare room that has a bed. More comfy for me to pump and whatnot. Maybe if my baby needed to be rocked to sleep we'd use it but it's been pretty pointless up to this point. I'm thinking the glider will come into use when we have book time before bed routine set up.
  • We kept the bed in our nursery. So glad that we have, even though she is a good sleeper I stay in there with her. After my csection I couldn't get up and down in our bed at all. The spare bed was much lower and easier for me to get up.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Hmmm that makes sense too...
  • I'd keep the bed. It's easier for me to feed on the sofa or side nursing in bed. I couldn't ever get my boppy or my breast friend to fit in/on my rocker or glider. I bounced baby to sleep by bouncing on an exercise ball or walking around the room. Though there were times that I wished I had a glider/recliner for those restless nights.
  • We debated the same thing and eventually decided on a gliding recliner from Best Chairs. I'm so glad we did; I've never been able to get comfortable nursing in bed even after months of late night feedings when she slept in our bedroom. Our chair is bigger, so I have plenty of room to fit the boppy on my lap and the right amount of back and neck support. Maybe you could go try out some different chairs and see if you find one you like. Or keep the bed in the room until you know if it works for you and baby. You can always get a recliner/rocker later.
  • dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited February 2015
    asm07 said:

We debated the same thing and eventually decided on a gliding recliner from Best Chairs. I'm so glad we did; I've never been able to get comfortable nursing in bed even after months of late night feedings when she slept in our bedroom. Our chair is bigger, so I have plenty of room to fit the boppy on my lap and the right amount of back and neck support. Maybe you could go try out some different chairs and see if you find one you like. Or keep the bed in the room until you know if it works for you and baby. You can always get a recliner/rocker later.

This. My daughter is almost 6 months old and I've never successfully nursed while lying down. I love my glider and fit perfectly with my boppy.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • I've got a leather recliner that rocks and love it, much easier to nurse in for me than a bed and if you want to sleep in it it is pretty darn comfy and reclines back pretty far.  I found a used one on Craigslist in great condition.  More functional to me for longer than a glider.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got a real nice leather recliner/glider. And I believe I'll be able to sleep in it if need be already sat in it with a nursing pillow to see how would be and fully comfortable plus our crib it's the 4 in 1 that will convert to a full size bed later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"