August 2014 Moms

Sleep regression continues.... :(

So I've been struggling with my LO waking every three hours lately. Sleep training is talked about all over the internet and there's books written on the subject but before I started a plan I wanted to talk with my Ped about it & hear what she had to say and what regiment she would suggest. Took my LO in for his 6 mo check up & the Ped told me there was no such thing as a sleep plan for a six month old. She said to just let him cry through his wakings. So everyone is miserable?? I'm so unhappy with her guidance. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the night feeding and wakings? I understand he's in a bad habit now. I just don't get it because before four months he was sleeping up to 6 hrs a night. We started solids this week (rice cereal) but he wants nothing to do with it. I'll keep trying. Another thing we've been doing is feeding him a half an ounce more of milk and adding a little bit of rice cereal to the bottle before bedtime.

Re: Sleep regression continues.... :(

• Our guy is up more frequently now too, vs at 4 months. Our ped said it might be developmentally related, but also that feeding 1-2 times a night is still totally normal at this age. One thing I have thought about is "scheduling" his feeds so when he wakes at other times we just let him fuss it out, not full on crying. All I know is I can't keep waking up a total of 5x a night, 2 is fine for feeding but the other 3 are for the pacifier...not a habit I want to go on! And feel fee to skip rice cereal and do something like sweet potato. Our guy didn't like the cereal too much so we moved on quickly to other foods :)
  • We have had downhill sleeping for the last two months. The same thing happened with our first except at 3 months. LO pretty much sleeps in my arms or next to me so I can function. I'm not ready for sleep training yet, but I will use The Sleepeasy Solution when I am. We used it with DD at 10 months and it worked for us. The night weaning was the biggest thing for us and the method in the book worked really well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • @tracey007‌ curious... What is the sleep easy solution?
  • @tracey007 That's good to know! We have the same book and I have been thinking about using for weaning when we need to. He still has a hard time with the wake windows they propose. He can barely get 2 hours of awake time right now as opposed to the 2.5 they suggest so I am hopi g by the time we wean he can match their details closer.
  • @etaguines It is a sleep training book with advice for lots of different stages of sleepers. It is cry it out with check ins. It has advice for lots of issues surrounding sleep though. It was written by sleep coaches and I felt like it had a supportive tone, which I needed at the time. I did not want to sleep train, but I was so tired. DD 1 was up every 2 hours and awake for the day by 4:30. When my husband was getting up in the morning I was putting her down for her first nap! So we tried this and it helped us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We followed our doctors advice because she's a doctor and we trust her.  She told us to let her cry it out and there was no reason at her age(5.5 months) why she shouldn't sleep through the night.  We made a nighttime routine and put her to bed at a specific time.  6:30.  We took her out of her swaddle, we took away her pacifier and we closed the door and walked out until morning.  The first night she cried 20 minutes off and on then fell asleep and woke up at 2:30 which was usually when we would feed her.  We didn't go in and let her cry it out.  She cried for 10 minutes and went right back to sleep and slept until 5:30. 

The second night she cried a bit longer, but then it was sleep until around 2:30 again where she woke up cried for a minute while watching the door.  When she realized we weren't coming in she went back to sleep.  It continued on this path for 3 nights and then she got it.  Now we put her down for bed after her routine and she rolls to her belly and falls asleep until morning.  My husband and I have our nights back to ourselves and baby is just fine. 

The other thing that's important to know is that we had a baby that was fueled by us coming in and trying to sooth her.  As long as we can see on the monitor that she's safe we have no problem letting her cry.  She still greets us every single morning with a smile and she's more playful and less cranky during the day. Plus, now we know if something is off if she wakes up crying.  She sleeps every single night from 6:30 until around 5:00 - 5:30.

• Sparky65 said:

We followed our doctors advice because she's a doctor and we trust her.  She told us to let her cry it out and there was no reason at her age(5.5 months) why she shouldn't sleep through the night.  We made a nighttime routine and put her to bed at a specific time.  6:30.  We took her out of her swaddle, we took away her pacifier and we closed the door and walked out until morning.  The first night she cried 20 minutes off and on then fell asleep and woke up at 2:30 which was usually when we would feed her.  We didn't go in and let her cry it out.  She cried for 10 minutes and went right back to sleep and slept until 5:30. 

The second night she cried a bit longer, but then it was sleep until around 2:30 again where she woke up cried for a minute while watching the door.  When she realized we weren't coming in she went back to sleep.  It continued on this path for 3 nights and then she got it.  Now we put her down for bed after her routine and she rolls to her belly and falls asleep until morning.  My husband and I have our nights back to ourselves and baby is just fine. 

The other thing that's important to know is that we had a baby that was fueled by us coming in and trying to sooth her.  As long as we can see on the monitor that she's safe we have no problem letting her cry.  She still greets us every single morning with a smile and she's more playful and less cranky during the day. Plus, now we know if something is off if she wakes up crying.  She sleeps every single night from 6:30 until around 5:00 - 5:30.

Yeah. I disagree with this method. CIO only teaches baby that her needs won't get met. They stop crying not because they are less stressed, but because they give up.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• So I've been struggling with my LO waking every three hours lately. Sleep training is talked about all over the internet and there's books written on the subject but before I started a plan I wanted to talk with my Ped about it & hear what she had to say and what regiment she would suggest. Took my LO in for his 6 mo check up & the Ped told me there was no such thing as a sleep plan for a six month old. She said to just let him cry through his wakings. So everyone is miserable?? I'm so unhappy with her guidance. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the night feeding and wakings? I understand he's in a bad habit now. I just don't get it because before four months he was sleeping up to 6 hrs a night. We started solids this week (rice cereal) but he wants nothing to do with it. I'll keep trying. Another thing we've been doing is feeding him a half an ounce more of milk and adding a little bit of rice cereal to the bottle before bedtime.

There is no such thing as "bad habits". Just needs. I've found meeting needs (over wants--specifically the parents want for kids to do things their way on their time table) gets babies to figure things out a lot easier than forcing CIO or food on them.

I fundamentally disagree with CIO. Even the sleep easy solution. Stress levels are still elevated even if there is no crying. Over all it leads to emotional attachment problems for some babies in the long run.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers