3rd Trimester

castor oil

Has anyone drunk castor oil

Re: castor oil

• No, just no.
    Unless you feel like being in the hospital for severe dehydration from uncontrollable diarrhea.
  • Loading the player...
  • I drank 2 tablespoons of it (mixed in a smoothie) at 40wks6days. I got the OK from my midwife. She explained that baby can pass meconium once they're past due date anyway, so there's no way of telling if it's from being past due or the castor oil.
    So I drank it at 3pm on a Wednesday. I think I pooped 4 or 5 times, none of which were out of control. It made me a little queasy. By 10pm I had stopped pooping.
    At midnight I started very mild cramping but I was so excited I barely slept. By 8am I went for a walk to try to get the contrax in a regular pattern.
    By 2:00 I had my first strong contraction. Went to hospital and got checked at 6pm, was only 1cm. I delivered at 9:32pm, after just 12min of pushing.
    Those 3 & 1/2 hours were insane. I don't know if my body just delivers quickly, if it was the castor oil, or the red raspberry leaf tea I drank the last few weeks.
    Anyway, my baby had passes some meconium but didn't need any medical attention because of it.
    Do what YOU feel comfortable with.
  • I wouldn't recommend. You don't want to have a diarrhea during your labor. There are lots of other methods.
  • I tried it with my first baby. It really was a non-event. I had mild diarrhea, some associated cramping, and then...nothing. No labor. No vomiting. No meconium when he did arrive. I wound up being induced after all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I tried it when I reached my due date. It gave me nausea and some mild diarrhea but nothing too bad. It did not put me into labor though even though I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced at the time. Now I can't help but gag even when I just think about it. The taste and texture are awful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage image

Stopped BC 5/13
    Started temping/charting 9/13
    CP 11/13
    BFP!!!! 7/16/14
  • I tired with my first... because my grandma told me it would help move things along 2 days before my due date. It did nothing really. I ended up giving birth the next day, but I don't think it had anything to do with it. I will not be doing it this time around. 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"