December 2014 Moms

Help! LO won't go to sleep!

I need some serious help figuring how to get my LO to go to sleep at night. I'm a FTM and he is 10 weeks now. We have kept a routine for weeks: bath, food, story, bed. We've tried switching it up a little, especially doing it earlier to try and get him to go to bed, but he just won't sleep! He'll fall asleep for a while then when we put him down he's wide awake. He'll lie there for a minute then start screaming. We go through this every night until at least 11:00, no matter what time we start the whole process. I need some help.

Re: Help! LO won't go to sleep!

• I am right there with you.
  • We were in the same boat. We started the routine about 7 or 8 and he would scream or cry every time we put him down. Cry when the binky falls out... what we have figured to work for us (at least the past few days) he eats around 7 or 8 then bathe play alittle then he will fall asleep either on me or in the rock and play. Around 10:30ish, i begin to slowly wake him up, bring him in his room, change his diaper, put bedtime music on, feed him and after the bottle is gone, he goes to sleep, no fuss no crying. Its kinda of a wacked out schedule, but it is what is working for us now and he sleeps from 11pm till at least 5am sometimes longer. I can always adjust the schedule later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok thank you. I guess I'm just forcing it too much. I have to go off of his schedule. I'm just tired. He was born a month early so he's still not quite sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time! The longest stretch so far was 4 hours at one time.
  • I've tried the 7-8pm bedtime and had the same issues. She might lay down for an hr or so, but won't go down for the night until closer to 10 or 11. I wouldn't be focused on a specific schedule at this age. I'd let your LO guide you and maybe try to get him down a little earlier each day.
  • Every baby is different, but sounds like 10 weeks is still too early for any routine, especially if you're breastfeeding. Babies have small tummies so they want to eat frequently, and more importantly each baby wants something different. We couldn't put our baby down, like at all, until 4 weeks. Even now at 7, she is 50/50 sleeping on me or in the rock and play...she just likes to be snug. We had 2 nights with 4 hours but the most consistent is 3. But at night she will nurse and go right back to sleep, so i can get "6" hours. Time varies every night though.

Hang in there! 
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• I agree with what pp said about the afternoon nap. It will get better!
  • WilliamsmaritWilliamsmarit member
    edited February 2015
    Same issue here! My 10 wk LO starts fussing hard around 7 so I assumed he was ready for bed but he never sleeps for more then 5-10 mins until 11ish. Last night it took 5 times of putting down only to have him wake up screaming a few mins later. It's like he's so tired but fighting the sleep. We started at 9 and he didn't stay asleep until 11! After that we got our first 9 hour stretch though so I'm hoping he will do that again (probably won't!). Hopefully they will learn to fall asleep and stay asleep soon!!
  • Same situation here! The past few nights I put him down at 6 and he slept till 1130, nursed then went back down. Last night tho he was super fussy and I nursed him at 5 and he went down at 530. He was up by 630. Then didn't sleep until 11:30. Ugh. We tried the bedtime routine but he had gotten in the habit of waking only an hour after putting him down at 8, and that's right when we climb into bed (he sleeps in our room bc I'm nursing and its a 1brdm apt.) so frustrating.
  • I've been going through that too. For 1 while week he went to sleep at 7:30, just and hour after my husband and I get home from work :(. Now he won't sleepy until 10. At least we get to see him. I have been reading a it sleep regression around 4 months and once that's over the real bedtime routines lick in and actually matter. He's 3 mo now so I'm hoping we'll all start getting sleep soon!
  • 10 weeks is still a little early for 7-8pm bed unless they get up around 4am.  My DD2 is 10wks and JUST started sleepinf from 1030pm-530am.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• my LO is 9 weeks and generally goes down between 7:30 and 8:30. she sometimes wakes up around 3:30 and has gone until 5:30/6:30. the last few times she's woken up before 5 it's when she escaped the swaddle. :( try to make sure you're starting the routine after he's been up around 60-90 min. if the timing doesn't work, have him take a catnap to try and get you through to a later bedtime.

just realized this is an old thread; hopefully it's gotten better for you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • sylviacrump11sylviacrump11 member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah it's been changing a little, my little guy has been going to bed between 10:30- 12 every night...so we're used to that now. But he just recently started to sleep about 4-5 hours at a time, then 2-3, then an hour and a half in the morning between 6:30 and 8. It's been working nicely with this kind of schedule. We'll see if it sticks!
  • And we're back to 1 1/2- 2 hours at a time...it's miserable.
  • When my son was 10 weeks he was going to bed at 10:30 in the RocknPlay and swaddle in our room and sleeping a 5 hour stretch before his next feeding. My pediatrician told us it was time to move him to his crib in his room. We bought a baby Merlin Magic Sleep Suit and started a bedtime routine; nurse, change, pjs and sleep suit, book, then lay him down and leave. He did great but I felt like 10:30 bedtime was so late, too. Over the next few weeks I slowly started to put him down a little earlier each night. Now at 14 weeks he goes to sleep around 7:00-7:30, sleeps until about 4:30 then I feed him, and he goes back to sleep until about 7:30am.

I think young babies all go to sleep late but their bedtimes always get earlier as they get a bit older. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"