February 2015 Moms

Scabies or PUPPP?

So, first off this is an odd question but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm 9 days post partum and a couple days ago I noticed I was developing a red, bumpy rash on my lady parts, arms, legs, feet, and hands. I went to the ER to make sure it wasn't contagious or harmful to my newborn. Well, I walked out Of the ER with more questions than answers. They couldn't tell wether it was scabies ( highly contagious parasite) or PUPPP (not contagious and hormone related). They sent me home with a cream to treat scabies and Benadryl for itching. I wasn't given a set diagnosis of either but they are treating me for both. My concern is the cream can cause seizures and they told me to limit my interaction with my baby. I'm a marine wife and have no one other than myself to care for my son when my husband is gone. So my question to all of you, have you ever gotten a post partum rash? Have you ever had scabies? How was it diagnosed 100% ?

Best Answer

• teitaniteitani member
    Answer ✓
    I've had both before. I developed PUPPS a week after my DS was born and treated it with Benedryl and anti-itch lotion (think poison ivy). The scabies came on by sitting on a toilet seat in a public bathroom. It took a week of ungodly scratching before I took myself to the doctor. I can only describe scabies as intense itching, it felt literally like bugs crawling under my skin. That feeling would get worse at night (nocturnal bugs). The doctor wasn't sure what skin problem I had, but gave me the antibiotic cream to treat scabies and I used it that night. Washed all clothes, and linens, and it was gone the next day. I never felt more disgusted in my life!! The scabies never left a visible rash like the PUPPS did. PUPPS rash was tiny bumps and redness. I still would follow all doctors orders though.
    My lesson learned: line the damn public toilets/hover/ or just plain hold it!!

Answers

• @teitani‌ thank you so much for replying! I feel completely disgusted as well! And at a loss as to what to do with my newborn! Should he be treated? I have a visual rash and it itches but not uncontrollably like most people say it does. Oh well I just applied the cream and I'll be washing everything !
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't treat him unless he becomes completely irritable..especially with the cream you were given..the medication is way to strong for him. If he shows signs of discomfort, take him to pediatrician and explain that you were treated for scabies/PUPPP. Let them diagnose him. I would bet it's PUPPP. Either way I'm crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery! Feel better soon.
  • I have never had pupps before but I have had scabies. It is the most horrible itch I have ever felt in my life. I actually got it from being around my friends dogs that had been in the woods. I was never told about the seizure risk though. Once I used the cream and washed everything I felt like I was back to normal. Call your pediatrician if you are having concerns. Sorry you have to go through this alone
  • Thank you ladies! I'll just hold out and watch him closely for signs. I have a follow up on Monday so if anything I'll ask them to check him as well. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"