Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

18 month old hates utensils!

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I looked back a few pages but couldn't find anything.

I'm hoping for some advice on getting my almost 18 month old to start using utensils. He's a great eater and will use his fingers but when its time to eat mashed potatoes or something you can't really use your fingers I have to feed him. Normally not an issue but we are expecting again and would like him to learn how to use utensils before baby comes if possible and because he's getting older too. Just curious how others have handled this and maybe some ideas on how to get him to use the utensils. Right now he'll play for a second and throw them on the floor! TIA.

Re: 18 month old hates utensils!

• Options
    I would just continue to give him utensils. He will catch on. Don't make a big deal of it. When ty was first learning to use utensils he would use his fingers to put the food on the spoon then eat it. Learning is messy.
  • Options
    Messy for sure! My son seems to be the opposite and if I give him a spoon with something on it, he takes it off and then eats it with his fingers lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Both my kids want to use utensils, and are somewhat successful.  My 14 mo DS is practicing with utensils - he uses the spoon for 1/4 of his yogurt and hands for 1/2 of it - the other 1/4 is everywhere.  Heck, even my 3.5 yo DD uses utensils intermittingly.  Spoons she's mastered, but forks not so much.  I think she may avoid foods that are tricky for her. Honestly I don't give it much attention - I clean up the mess at home and when we eat out I give the kids finger foods.  I do not spoon (or fork) feed my kids.  They eat what they can get into their mouths.  Perhaps this is also a reason they demand utensils, so they can get more in more easily!  It must be enough b/c they are both huge (from baked/steamed foods and lots of veggies).  Good luck!  Congrats on #2 on the way!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You give him the option & let him figure it out. You can't make him before he's ready. Trying to get him to do anything you want (before he's ready) before the new baby comes is a futile, frustrating exercise.

Let it be & let him learn.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Both my kids were into utensils at 9 months old -- but it's all individual. You have to roll with it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I will preload a spoon or fork a few times during my son's meal, then let him figure it out. He tries to use them, but can't understand the different in the handle and the business end.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback ladies, I appreciate it! I'm thinking consistency and patience are keys to this one just like with everything else lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"