September 2014 Moms
Options

Sleep problems have started after beginning solids

My dd is 4 1/2 months and has slept 7-9 hours straight since she was 1 month old. We started giving her rice cereal (recommended by her doctor because she has acid reflux that is not able to be calmed with medication) on Saturday. Since Saturday night she is now waking at least 3 times, I don't think she is hungry because she never woke up before. I also hear her farting throughout the night and has a big bm first thing in the morning. Anyone have an experience like this when starting solids? Mylicon doesn't seem to help her stomach in the middle of the night, anyone have any other suggestions for the gas? I have talked to the doctor and he says to keep feeding her solids and that the waking could just be developmental changes (she is trying to learn to roll) or teething. I feel like this sleep change is too closely related to the start of solids to be anything else.

Re: Sleep problems have started after beginning solids

• Options
    Were not starting solids until 6 months. Have you tried eliminating the rice cereal for a couple days to see if her sleep goes back to "normal"? I think that would be the best way to determine whether it's causing her to wake more frequently or not.

• Options
    I agree with stopping the rice cereal to see if that helps. Also, there are many things you can try to help the gas. Gripe water, warm heating pack (I use a sock full of rice and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up then hold it on LO's tummy or back), warm baths, colic calm or tummy calm, doing exercises like helping LO bicycle their legs, etc. Good luck! Hope your baby feels better and starts sleeping more again.

image Baby Girl born September 23, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since your pedi doesn't want you to stop giving the solids what if you try baby oatmeal rather than the rice. I have heard the rice is binding and the baby oatmeal has fiber. My ds was having more irregular bm before starting the oatmeal. Now he goes just about everyday.
  • Options
    DS has been on oatmeal we skipped rice as it just constipated DS1. DS has been waking more often but we blamed teething and his cold. Since the cold has subsided so have the night wakings
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options
    We noticed the same thing with our LO. She was a great sleeper then shortly after starting her on baby oatmeal and baby food she seems to not only wake up more during the night but she seems fussier during the day. I just blamed it on teething but who knows. I'm not sure if she's experiencing stomach discomfort or the start of teething causing her to wake up during the night. We have actually noticed the oatmeal we use has really firmed up her poop due to the iron content, so we just give her some prune or pear juice sometimes to help with that.
    Mommy to Arielle Jade, 9/2/2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How about a little gripe water before bed and right before you lay down for bed time do a little tummy massage and "bicycles" trying to get the last of the bubbles out.

When she wakes is she crying or uncomfortable?

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"