February 2015 Moms
Options

Husband Going Out

em4iowaem4iowa member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 Moms
My husband likes to go out for drinks with friends - like, close down the bar and then stay up until 3:00 - 4:00 a.m. drinking with friends - and since it's not often I don't have a problem with it. As I'm 36w + 5, I'm getting more anxious about it though. I have had a relatively easy pregnancy with no complications or anything and haven't had much for Braxton Hicks contractions, but I know the baby could come any time between now and the first week of March... He doesn't come to me for permission, but he does want to make sure that I'm comfortable with him going out. He has a few 'rules' now that I'm pregnant: always have your phone on you/be aware of it, let me know who you're with (so I can contact them if I can't reach him), and where you are (bar to bar, someone's house, etc.). I just don't know if I'm comfortable with him drinking now that we're getting down to go-time. He's the only one I want in the labor room and if anything happens and he misses it because he's drunk I think we're both going to be really upset about it. 

In other words, would you feel comfortable with your spouse or significant other going out drinking? There is no middle ground - he can't go out and not drink, he just can't, he either stays in or goes out and drinks. 

How many weeks along in your pregnancy would you stop feeling comfortable with the significant other going out drinking?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Husband Going Out

• Options
    Umm that would not fly with me at this point. DH went to a party a few weeks ago but he knew that was his last fun night out drinking for awhile. I'm almost 40 weeks now and he's pretty much attached to my hip until the baby is here.
    Me: 34 DH: 34
    Married 3/22/14
    Baby #1 GIRL EDD 2/4/2015
    FVL/History of PE/Gallbladder removal 8/7/14 @ 14w1d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have told my hubby several times he needs to watch how much he drinks as I get close to due date! I know my BIL or other family/friends could us to hospital, but I'm not ok with my husband being drunk at the hospital! He also must have his phone with at all times! I do not think you're asking too much of him. Good luck from a fellow Iowa momma!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, that would not fly with me, prego or not.
  • Options
    That wouldn't fly in my home. I would have a problem even if I wasn't pregnant with a husband that had to close down the bar and then continue to drink until 3 or 4 am.

DH will have a couple beers or one mixed drink during the evening occasionally but since I hit 38 weeks he even limits it to 1 beer. I consider it to be a sign of respect more than anything.
  • Options
    I told my dh at 36 weeks that wasnt happening anymore, he was fine with it. One non pregnant time he was out when I was sick & I ended up having to go to the ER & call my dad..embarrassing. itd be terrible if he was drunk when its go time..def not worth it. Gl!
  • Options
    We too are surrounded by friends and family so that's a non-issue. And he's 30 so it's not like he's doing anything wild, just staying up late drinking. It's not a drinking problem, just being surrounded by friends at a bar he just drinks or doesn't go. He's not a middle ground type of guy and there's no issue with his drinking and our lifestyle, I'm just trying to figure out when the cutoff for getting drunk and being comfortable with it. If he's in a different environment, like out for dinner or at a friend's house he can easily have one or two and come home. It's just the party atmosphere at the bar with a group of 5-7 guys that are all drinking heavily that he won't say no to. He's got no problem staying in if I'm not comfortable with him going out, I'm just trying to figure out when that time is (now, 37 wks, 38 wks, etc.).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He might as well get used to not staying out til 4 am drinking now. When baby is here he shouldn't be doing that anyways. You said he doesn't do it often so I don't see why he'd have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Yeah no. My DH isn't allowed to drink, period. Im extremely smell sensitive and the last thing I want is booze breath breathing down on me in labor.
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Options

em4iowa said:

We too are surrounded by friends and family so that's a non-issue. And he's 30 so it's not like he's doing anything wild, just staying up late drinking. It's not a drinking problem, just being surrounded by friends at a bar he just drinks or doesn't go. He's not a middle ground type of guy and there's no issue with his drinking and our lifestyle, I'm just trying to figure out when the cutoff for getting drunk and being comfortable with it. If he's in a different environment, like out for dinner or at a friend's house he can easily have one or two and come home. It's just the party atmosphere at the bar with a group of 5-7 guys that are all drinking heavily that he won't say no to. He's got no problem staying in if I'm not comfortable with him going out, I'm just trying to figure out when that time is (now, 37 wks, 38 wks, etc.).

To me, this is a personal question that you have to answer for yourself. Luckily, I think you already have. You are no longer comfortable with it. The time is now.
    That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. I just feel guilty for not being comfortable with it. Idk why. We have a really open, trusting, and mutually respectful relationship so I shouldn't feel guilty (I KNOW that), I just feel like I'm telling him he can't do something even though I'm telling him I'm not comfortable with it and he's respecting that. It's more on my side, I think.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think that he though should understand that and should want to make sure he is sober til the time comes. Idk if roles were reversed I know I would skip going out with my girlfriends to make sure I was coherent when my SO would need me the most.
  • Options
    em4iowa said:

em4iowa said:

To me, this is a personal question that you have to answer for yourself. Luckily, I think you already have. You are no longer comfortable with it. The time is now.
    That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. I just feel guilty for not being comfortable with it. Idk why. We have a really open, trusting, and mutually respectful relationship so I shouldn't feel guilty (I KNOW that), I just feel like I'm telling him he can't do something even though I'm telling him I'm not comfortable with it and he's respecting that. It's more on my side, I think.
    If he's respecting that you don't feel comfortable than that's great! Don't blow it up in your head bigger than it is. He's going to be a father any day now. The partying days are over. There will be times y'all get to escape and have some fun but,in my personal opinion, he shouldn't be out until 4 drinking with the guys.
  • Options
    I would be putting my foot down at this point. He needs to remain sober for the duration of your pregnancy, especially if he is the only one you want in the delivery room, PLUS I am assuming he is your only ride to the hospital. Honestly, a beer or two wouldn't hurt him if you went into labor all of the sudden, but being out all night and falling down drunk is just absolutely ridiculous. I would have a talk with him about his behavior; tell him your concerns and the consequences of his actions (I.e. he may miss the birth because he's too drunk to be there) and if he still refuses to change, then I would solidify a secondary delivery room choice and ride to the hospital. Then, I would seriously take some time to think about whether or not your husbands drinking behavior is in your childs, or yours, best interest. Honestly, if it were me and my husband went out all night every night to get falling down drunk and will not even consider the predicament and potential danger it could put me and our unborn child in; I'd be considering giving an ultimatum. But that's just me. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My fiancé works 2 jobs and late nights and most of the time a friend will come pick him up from work and they go out and hang out. It bothers me some because I am home alone and nervous at 39 weeks but I give him the same guidelines. Keep your phone on you, let me know who you are with, and where you will be. I keep my mom on speed dial just in case and she is always by the phone.
  • Options

I think the real issue here is that your H "can't" be out socially without using alcohol. Pregnant or not that should concern you.

This. There seem to be other red flags. There's also a huge difference between going out with friends and having a couple of beers and being unable to stop or avoid drinking once out. I think you two need to have a serious talk- there are valid concerns, pregnant or not. Good luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wimcgrath said:
    I think the real issue here is that your H "can't" be out socially without using alcohol. Pregnant or not that should concern you.
    This. There seem to be other red flags. There's also a huge difference between going out with friends and having a couple of beers and being unable to stop or avoid drinking once out. I think you two need to have a serious talk- there are valid concerns, pregnant or not. Good luck to you!
    I agree with this 100%. If he can't go out and stop after 1 or two whether you like it or not, that is a problem.

My husband does not drink at all (any more) but he does need medication to help him sleep at night. He stopped taking it (just in case) about a week ago and I am 36 weeks.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options

This is a really tough subject for my Husband and I. We were both big drinkers before pregnancy. He said he would quit for my third trimester. This was something he decided on his own, I did not ask for him to do that. However, I didn't know that meant he would get fall down drunk weekly for the first 6 months to make up for it. Unfortunately there was little I could do. I expressed my feelings, but the more upset I got, the more he would do it.

Thankfully, for the 3rd trimester he did quit and I'm so grateful. He has remodeled the entire nursery, and it looks beautiful. I'm very proud of him. I am still a little nervous about what might happend once the baby is born and he starts to drink again, but creating boundaries and enforcing restrictions just doesn't work for him. It only makes it worse. The best I can do is truly appreciate the effort and good behavior and hope that he remembers how great our relationship is without the alcohol.

Maybe rather than telling him what he can't do, let him know what you need him to do. You need him to be there for you to support you through your contractions, hixton and the real deal. That being without him makes you feel anxious and alone, especially during this stressful time. My DH does appreciate feeling needed. I don't know if that will work for you.

Good Luck! Hang in there, and try to stay positive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"