April 2015 Moms

soft cervix dilated 31 weeks

I'm 31 weeks. I have a soft cervix and I'm dialated 1 fingertip on the outside, but inside is closed. My question is, what is the possibility of me going all the way to 40 weeks? Does the dilating and soft cervix mean I'll give birth sooner? Just trying to see if anyone else had this issue. Thanks!

Re: soft cervix dilated 31 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • kjuryflkjuryfl member
    edited January 2015
    Dilating early doesn't always equal delivering early. From 36wks until my induction at 39w1d I was 3.5cm. If you're concerned ask your Dr.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • mamaceltiamamaceltia member
    edited January 2015
    Since you only shared the length in fingertip measurements, I was wondering if your doctor knew about this yet?

Edited because of auto correct
  • Ask your doctor.
    I'm dilating and my cervix is soft. They don't have any hope of a full term delivery for me.
    I also had my son prematurely and have a higher risk for preterm labor.

My best friend was dilated to a 3 for 6 weeks and still went almost the full 42 allowed.
    Ask your doctor.
  • Did you discover this or your doctor?
    I'm guessing if your doctor discovered this, then you would have followed up with this question? That would have made sense, so what did your doctor say ?
  • mdupon70997mdupon70997 member
    edited January 2015
    Why would this not be followed with, "Hey MD/MW, do you think I can carry to term?" These people who see their doctor and then don't ask any questions when something's askew...I can't - assuming you did see an MD/MW. YOU are in charge of your healthcare - no one else!
  • I agree this is a question for your doctor, because everyone's circumstances are completely different and I know nothing about all your history and anything else going on, but if we are assuming you are not high risk and have no other issues.... This could be completely normal...

This is my third pregnancy, I'm already 1cm dilated (checked by doctor because of consistent Braxton hicks for 2 days)... They are not concerned. I've never had a preterm birth and some women can actually be 1 cm nearly their entire pregnancy... Relax, and ask your doctor.
    cwarren~ mother of a beautiful baby girl.
  • I assume OP did not check the dilation herself since she knows it is closed "inside" whatever that means.

OP ask your doctor, my personal experience has no impact on yours.

AFM I was 1 cm at 34 weeks and 3 cm when I was induced at 41w1d.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• be888 said:

knows it is closed "inside" whatever that means.

Your cervix can start opening along the outer edge but not be dilated all the way through. You can also have a funneling cervix and have it dilated more towards the uterus and barely dilated towards the opening of the cervix.

The cervix is a weird ass organ.
    I found out about two weeks ago you can also be dilated and then close back up or reverse. WTF cervix, WTF.
  • U need a hobby or something because it looks as if u have nothing better to do with ur life than to get on here and be a butt to people .. Always remember what goes around comes around sweetheart.. And who am I.. I am a pregnant woman whom clearly sees someone being negative.. See something say something.. And I stand on what I said earlier u r rude and very ignorant for keeping it going.. I'm not going back and forth with u but that's all I have to say.. You have a very blessed day. Thanks

Oh PUH-LEASE!
  • This was my first real click on this forum and my first choice of topic to start being part of this community because I have a similar issue as OP going on and it's scary. After reading all the responses, I'm going to have to agree with everyone voicing how rude the comments are. I want no part of a supposedly supportive community with all these snarky, passive aggressive jabs and attempts to make someone look stupid who just asked a question. She clearly sees an OB. So turned off and I want no part in this site anymore. Being a mom and a woman has enough challenges already. Start being nicer.
    No
  • Lurking...this seemed appropriate...
  • Withy first I was dialated to 3 with a bulging water sack. I was convinced my water was going to break on public transportation and I would never make it to the hospital. I ended up being induced a week after my due date.
  • There is no way to know. Sorry. Hope you make it another 6 weeks though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • That's pretty normal. You can stay 1-3 centimeters for months. I usually do. This is my 5th pregnancy. Don't let it worry you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"