April 2015 Moms

Anemia

anyone else been positive for anemia? Just been told Im anemia. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and just curious about others experience; since this is my first pregnancy.

Re: Anemia

• I've been anemic since my first blood draw. I've taken iron supplements twice per day but it hasn't improved at all. My doctor isn't worried about it. Baby will take whatever iron is needed from you. Being anemic will leave you tired though and the iron supplements definitely seem to help me with that.
  • Yup, I was just told that I am anemic again, at 29 weeks. The baby will take what he or she needs, so don't worry too much. Take your supplements and take them with a beverage containing vitamin C, which helps them absorb better.

11.9.14 Dot is a boy!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My experience is that I've been anemic since birth. Anemia isn't something you "experience". Listen to your doctors advice on how to deal with it and that's that.
  • angelfish628angelfish628 member
    edited January 2015
    In my second trimester, I was both dehydrated and severely anemic. I started taking Vitron-C but even after a month, it barely made a difference and made my nausea so much worse. My husband then got me Blood Builder from Whole Foods and my levels are finally up and it doesn't cause any of the side effects. I take it every night.
  • Been anemic for about 10 years. Having crohns, celiac and not eating red meat or poultry does that to me. I don't take anything extra to be honest. It's a "norm" for me. Nothing new.
  • Anemia can be serious when you're pregnant though. My doctor told me that if my levels don't go up, I may have to get a blood transfusion during delivery, which is why I started taking the iron pills.
  • Got told yesterday, luckily the levels aren't as low as when i was younger so the iron tablets should help again! (hopefully)
  • My iron levels are also low from the pregnancy and my midwives recommend I take a liquid iron supplement called Floradix. It's not the tastiest stuff in the world and it's not the cheapest but they said it absorbs better than pills. But because it is so expensive I take it the morning and then an iron pill at night. I have follow up blood work next week. I feel fine other than being tired after work which I feel is kinda normal for a 31 week pregnant woman.
  • @angelfish628‌, are you taking the Megafood Blood Builder? My sister was anemic prior to getting pregnant and her iron levels were strong after taking Megafood Baby and Me.
  • All I can read in this post is "I AM Anemia!" *proudly sticking out her chest with her fists on her hips*

• I was told at 30 weeks that I'm anemic .. I'm now taking an iron supplement so hopefully my levels will maintain.
  • I have been anemic this pregnancy and 30 weeks as well. I take an iron supplement called "integra" my iron levels have not come up yet and I may have to have an iron transfusion. If it gets really low it can cause some
    Issues. Usually it just makes me beyond tired and very pale. Good luck!
  • First, is the anemia caused by an iron deficiency or a hemoglobin deficiency. There's a difference.
    Secondly, if it is iron, I have also heard taking it with vitamin C is most beneficial. I believe I was told to avoid taking it with calcium at the same time. Hemaplex is a pill and works well.
  • also caffeine can disrupt iron absorption, so be sure to not have caffeine (if you're still drinking it) close to the time you take your supplements or eat iron rich foods. I had a slightly low iron result, I've been addicted to corn chex (dry) for a snack, 1 cup has %45 of daily intake for iron
  • I am anemic and I take supplements when not pregnant, so with my first pregnancy I was told to take liquid iron twice per day, which I did...but with this pregnancy I can't stomach it and have it come back up every time I take it. So I take the tablet supplements twice a day, it keeps it up a bit, but not where it needs to be. 

I've noticed with this pregancy my RLS is a lot worse than normal, which is a symptom of low iron. 

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was also just diagnosed as anemic @ 30 weeks. Thanks for all the supplement recommendations ladies!
    Apparently it can take up to 3 weeks to get it back up even with diligently taking the supplements. There's also the high likelihood that the additional iron does nothing, which most of you confirmed. Hmmmm....
    The question is what is more miserable - the debilitating fatigue or the horrendous constpation? Lool :smiley:
  • ddubz said:
    I was also just diagnosed as anemic @ 30 weeks. Thanks for all the supplement recommendations ladies! Apparently it can take up to 3 weeks to get it back up even with diligently taking the supplements. There's also the high likelihood that the additional iron does nothing, which most of you confirmed. Hmmmm.... The question is what is more miserable - the debilitating fatigue or the horrendous constpation? Lool :smiley:
    At least you can take Benefibre...which dissolves completely and has no taste. I was attempting the orange Metamucil but it wasn't really going down well...it was like drinking sand, I really don't recommend it. 

The supplements worked well with my first, but not so well this time. It doesn't hurt to try though.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"