2nd Trimester

Sleeping Problems

jamizippjamizipp member
edited January 2015 in 2nd Trimester
Ever since I found out I was pregnant I haven't been sleeping well at all. The past couple weeks I've had terrible headaches all day long because of it. I toss and turn every 30 minutes through the night, and can barely take a nap. I've even tried benedryl once, and it did nothing. I also have very vivid terrible dreams. Anyone else going through this?

14 weeks
JULY 2015 BABY

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Sleeping Problems

• Yep, sorry to say it just gets worse! Try pillows, a soothing drink and a good book!
  • I too toss and turn and then by time I do get to sleep...it's time to get up to pee.  I am used to sleeping through the night.  I guess this is good preparation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Unfortunately it's pretty normal for the 2nd trimester (sleep issues and headaches).  I would definitely talk to your doctor. They may be able to prescribe you something.  Hang in there....
    *Ticker Warning*

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Our Story:
    Me: 36, DH 38
    2005: Blighted Ovum
    2010:  Surprise pregnancy (son born 2011)
    9/2012:  Chemical pregnancy
    6/2013-8/2013: 3 rounds of clomid = nothing
    9/2013:  Husband dx = poor morphology, low motility.  My dx = normal, tubes clear
    10/2014:  After 2 years of actively trying moved on to IVF.  ER=16 (12 fertilized). 
    11/2014:  Transferred 1 4AA blastocyst (3 blasts made it to the freezer) = BFP

• You might talk to your doctor about a prescription for something to help you sleep.  There are many things safe during pregnancy.  My dreams have settled down with time- 21 weeks today.  Good luck.
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Yeah I had the worst dreams at the beginning at my second trimester. My husband said I would thrash around and talk a lot in my sleep. It passed. I had neck pain too (I still do honestly, but I think that's more because I sit hunched over at a computer all day at work). Sorry, but it's one of those things you have to go through. It's one of the weirder side effects. It won't last forever. I'm not getting the dreams as frequent anymore (week 20) but sleep is a mixed bag. I'm still up either tossing and turning from belly aches from bloating or I pass out. 
  • My hips tend to get sore if I sleep on one side for too long. And the pain will wake me up and remind me to roll over. The dreams are vivid but so far good ones so I'm not complaining yet :)
  • My hips hurt, too. So my doctor said it's ligament-related and suggested thermacare patches for each hip.
  • Try a Snoogle. It has really helped me sleep more comfortably.
  • Rather than a prescription for sleeping you may want to try melatonin. It is the chemical that our brains naturally produce to induce sleep so it is a better solution than a medication.
  • mkeipmkeip member
    do NOT try Melatonin. I was on it before i got pregnant. It says right on the bottle not safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding. but i asked both of my doctors and they told me to stay away. That there has not been a lot of research done yet but what has been done shows some fetal abnormalities. 

I have had insomnia problems for years and i would say what has helped me the most is the snoogle. It makes sleeping so much more comfortable. I also bought some really high end bath products from LUSH and a few milk bath kits off of amazon and I have a relaxing bath at night right before i go to bed. it really helps. 
  • fractured my left clavicle a yr ago and now im supposed to sleep on my left side?? i try but it hurts, so i flip back n forth from left side to right and back again all night. my arms keep falling asleep when i lay on my sides too. 

my husband usually goes to bed around 10 but im not tired until later, and he snores like crazy! 

im also up twice most nites to pee. 
  • Rather than a prescription for sleeping you may want to try melatonin. It is the chemical that our brains naturally produce to induce sleep so it is a better solution than a medication.

And this is why we all say call your doctor!!! On the damn bottle it says not safe for pregnant and breast feeding moms. Thanks for the " advice"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah melatonin is a big no no during pregnancy. I was given like 10 Ambien a month to use on the worst nights.
    eta Unisom is safe but there are 2 types. I found the one with the active ingredient Doxylamine Succinate to work a lot better.
  • Welcome to the club. If you take Benedryl with a antacid. Like tums or Zantac it help the medicine work completely. If I don't take it with an antacid it doesn't work at all, even when I have an allergic reaction. Ididnt know this until my sweet ER nurse told me. Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Try Unisom, It's category A and completely safe. Try the light blue breakable tablets not the gel caps. 
  • Melatonin is safe during pregnancy as long as it's under 3mg. The FDA will never test herbs and things that aren't drugs that the pharmaceutical/drug companies want you to take as they get money for it. They have to label all things " may not be safe during pregnancy" so they are protected. If you really want to know what's safe or not, don't google or ask women here. Ask your doctor or better yet the pharmacist. They are the ones who are most educated about the drugs as that is their job 100%