Infertility

Infertility and Depression

edited February 2015 in Infertility
I know I am not alone with this, but I sometimes I get pretty bummed out by infertility. I haven't asked my doctor yet, but are there any safe anti-depressants out there that one can take when TTC ... I have never taken anything myself, but have friends that have and say they can really help. I am guessing there are probably not many, if any, that are safe. Anyone have any good vitamin recommendations? Thanks for any input!!
Be Realistic: Plan for a Miracle.

Re: Infertility and Depression

• I'm not sure but I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you.
  • I know your feelings r uncontrollable I feel that way a lot. I myself suffer from depression I was taken off my meds and found other things to help me out like pedicures also try not thinking future live day to day..... Easier said than done but I know there counslers out there I've done that to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @jessnjuan07 and @eswany1 ... I appreciate the support and prayers :)
  • I'm struggling with the same thing - anxiety, though, rather than depression. I'm using the Calm app and The Meditation Podcast to try to practice slowing my brain down. I'm also journaling - I'm finding that sometimes I just need to sit with what is happening, which is really intense and hard. I don't know about meds, but I also found that CBT (cognitive behavior therpay) can help. Best of luck!
  • @alittlefishy - those are all great ideas! Thanks for sharing. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy. Best of luck to you too sweetie!
  • I have been struggling with infertility for a very long time and I feel your pain. I'm sorry, it sucks, and really those who are or have gone through it can totally understand.  After 5.5 years of TTC I am trying different supplements, diets, exercise, or acupuncture/ meditation that I research online. Some have scientific backing, some don't, but if they can't cause harm then I am a willing participant! It often gives me hope looking into the future knowing that I am trying something new that not only will make me a healthier person, but will also (FX) help me achieve a pregnancy. Best thoughts to you.
  • @lubirdie Thank you! Best thoughts to you too! Thank you for the feedback. Hope is so important. Hold on to it and don't give up! Sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy!
  • I have been TTC for 5 years and both RE's I've seen are perfectly okay with me taking Prozac (have been on it four years now). My anxiety however was around long before TTC so it's not related. But in addition to prozac I do yoga, run, lift weights, I pray, I use the meditation app - stop. think. breath. and try to get a lot of rest and live a low key life.

I'm not sure any of that helps! I will be thinking about you. All of this is so tough.
  • My RE said it was OK to take Wellbutrin. He said there aren't necessarily a lot of studies verifying that it is safe, but given the emotional difficulties of TTC, he thinks the benefits outweigh the potential risks for most people.
  • I totally understand about getting bummed out... I hope your doctor recommends something you are comfortable with, or that the other wonderful ideas posted here help!
  • I really feel for you. When I was doing fertility treatment I ended up getting depressed and very anxious and I was refered to a psychologist who specializes in infertility. I also joined an infertility awereness group and a infertility women support group in my area (organized by a fertility clinic). It was a very tough time and I am glad I had some of this support to get me through the really hard days. I also found that on line support groups were good as well as I could get advise and share experiences about treatment with woman like me (IVF.ca was really great!).

I ended up not taking any medication because I was already on heavy dose hormones and had 2 uterine surgeries back to back but otherwise that was my next step. I send you lots of prayers and positive vibes your way...Stay strong :)
  • My RE knows I take Celexa for my depression over all this infertility stuff. It's a low dose so there isn't much harm. We all cope in different ways.
    TTC my #1 with PCOS since June 2010.
    Countless Clomid&Femara Cycles.
    Feb. 2014-April 2015=AF arrived on time. 
    EDD: January 14, 2016. Finally.image
    Expecting One Healthy Baby Girl!!!
  • myulamyula member
    I have bipolar disorder and see a reproductive psychiatrist who specializes in knowing what medications are safe for pregnant women. I'm on lamictal (mood stabilizer and not antidepressant) and that's been working great for me. I think the psychological benefits of less depression and stress are good for you and the benefits out weigh the risks. 
  • Hi Im sorry your having trouble my husband and I have been trying for over a year. We just booked our first RE and are hoping for some answers. I dont know if you are a religious person but one of my ways to cope has been praying a lot of it♡♡ praying for a baby and praying for comfort when it doesnt happen. I also have relied so much on my mom and my husband he listened to me so many times and many tears. His support has been incredible ♡ also this site has been a real help many supportive women on here and helpful advice. I wish you all the best and I hope you are blessed soon. Any concerns on medication I would definitely see a Dr who specializes in Reproductive health/infertility you dont want to be on meds that pervent you from conceiving either.
  • I know the feeling. I have previously dealt with depression and have been off medications for a few years now. But now with infertility issues, it's been more difficult. My doctor even asked me today if I was nervous because my blood pressure was really high. I really hope things get better for you, I'll keep you in my prayers.
  • Hi there! I know exactly what you're going through. My hubby and I have been trying for 2 years, and we finally starting seeing an RE this year. All I can say is that I will pray for you because this journey can literally tear you apart. Think positive. I know it's easier said then done, trust me. I have my good days and I have my bad days. I know that one day I will be blessed with a beautiful baby and so will you! Take care. I will be sending positive vibes your way...
    "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"