February 2015 Moms

Snacks during labor

What are good things to eat during labor? I'm hoping to have some food on hand (I'm a snacker) to help keep my energy up- a mix of perishable stuff I can pack ahead of time, then some fruit to grab once we are at the hospital. I heard honey sticks are good and easy to eat. Other ideas?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Snacks during labor

• My hospital did not let me eat during labor. Granted, I wasn't in it for a super long time, but no snacks for me... you may want to check with your doctor/hospital. (and I have GD, so it was really weird to not eat after having to eat every 2-3 hours for the past 3 months).
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital has the same policy - except it's a liquid diet. Jello, broth, water, etc. One of my doctors explained that the body will usually "shut off" your hunger mechanism during birth as one of those funny little things that happens during labor, but I can't imagine that happening to someone as chronically hungry as me. I guess we'll see!

If your hospital allows food, the honey sticks you mentioned sound like a great idea!
    Anniversary  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good to know! My hospital and midwives actually encourage eating - nothing crazy, of course, but enough to keep energy levels up. I think it's more in the early stages of labor, as I also heard that hunger can "turn off" later on.

BabyFruit Ticker

• My hospital won't let you eat. They did finally give me a super sweet Popsicle after about 20 hours with no food but I promptly threw it up. I think it was too much sugar on an empty stomach. For afterwards I packed granola bars and nuts.
  • My hospital does not allow anything either except a clear liquid diet if I were to be in labor for a long time. I was induced and was in labor for 16 hours and not once felt hungry. As soon as I gave birth and was cleaned up I was famished.
  • edited January 2015
    Food was the last thing on my mind during labor.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• My hospital wouldn't let me eat anything either. They said I could have something light before they started the pitocin but then after that I could only have water. After I gave birth they had to tell me to eat
  • Yeah, most hospitals allow clear liquids only, because if you need an urgent/emergent cesarean the last thing you want is to risk aspiration. I would consider a popsicle or some juice but nothing otherwise until after delivery.

Also, FWIW, the first drink or meal after delivery is the BEST ever. Never have apple juice and a grilled cheese tasted so good!
  • Haven't ever been hungry during any of my deliveries. Thirsty with my first, but I threw up the sprite they gave me.
  • I wasn't allowed to eat during labor:( The first birth I was induced and it took 27 hours. They finally let me have some plain broth about 15 hours in and I threw it up as soon as I started pushing!

Married to Lee since 9/2/2000

Momma to Hais November 2002 and Carter April 2010 (with use of fertility treatments)

Cancer Survivor

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just don't eat anything that will be horrible to throw up later on. Stick to bland. 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced and there was small chance I would need a c section so I didn't eat from midnight the night before (luckily I was induced at 8am and delivered by 5pm so it really wasn't all that long). I didn't want to eat during labor. I remember being starving afterwards and I sent my husband for take out. If nothing else, have something on hand for when labor is done. And maybe something to drink. Even though I was on an IV, I was really thirsty after
  • For my first labor, my water broke and it was many hours before contractions got underway. I was told to go to the hospital right away and was not allowed anything but clear fluids, broths, and jello once there. Long story short, 36 hours later i ended up with a csection for failure to progress past 6cm. Up until the last hour prior to surgery, i was famished. Broths didn't cut it and i really feel that lack of good nourishment was a big contributor to my ending up in a c/s. This time around, I'm not playing the food game with the hospital. I'm packing my own hearty broth, honey sticks, and easy to digest solids/opaque liquids: hard boiled eggs, drinkable yogurt, applesauce, and protein shakes. I'm hoping for a VBAC this time and know I will need fuel for my body to get there. Hospital eating policies for laboring mothers are not evidence based. Do some research and make your own decisions, but be aware that while you may not be hungry, as many other PP have stated, if you are, not being able to fuel your labor could affect you as it does other mothers on the flip side of the spectrum. **apologies for unformatted text: my tablet and the bump don't mesh well :neutral_face:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hospital this time around will allow some light snacking of quick digesting foods - like crackers, popsicles, etc.

By the time I was pushing for DS I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours and I felt like I was going to pass out from hunger. I was yelling for food between each contraction. It was one of the worst parts. I'm definitely going to try to get some snacking in this time around!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hide it, say it's your partners. Keep your energy up
    My list:
    Trail mix
    Honey sticks
    Peanut butter
    Candy-sugar and sugar free
    Bananas
    Gatorade
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Pudding, crackers, and coconut water got me through my first.
  • I have a snack bag packed with trail mix, poweraid, and coconut water. I will probably bring a yogurt or smoothie as well. My birth center also recommends bringing a meal for after the birth. I think that will be a cold Mediterranean plate with some felafel, olives, veggies, hummus and tzatziki. Clean and easy but protein rich.
  • My midwife and nurses actually encouraged me to eat during labor with my first, but I did not want to eat by the time I was in the hospital. (I did most of my laboring at home.) I managed a few rice cakes. 

Also, a little advise. I felt famished but it was inconvenient to eat (driving, in a NST) during early labor. By the time I had easy access to food, I was no longer hungry. If you feel hungry, eat while you can! 
  • I asked my Midwife about this she said to eat lightly when contractions start at home, but no huge meals. During labor at the hospital, just don't eat anything you don't want to see come up.

I am planning on popsicles, and maybe hard candy and that's about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"