April 2014 Moms

Who had a VBAC? Or has had both a c-section and vaginal birth?

I feel like I've been getting a lot of pressure to try for a VBAC with my current pregnancy.  My c-section was a result of low amniotic fluid and breech presentation.  So while it happened 4 weeks early unexpectedly, it was not an emergency surgery.  My recovery from my c-section was fine.  In pain for about 10 days, but able to walk a mile slowly about 3 weeks postpartum and go to yoga 6 weeks postpartum.  My doctor said that I'm a good candidate for a VBAC, but ultimately it's up to me, barring any other complications.

I'd really love to hear about how you would compare the recoveries and anything else you wish you'd known beforehand! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Who had a VBAC? Or has had both a c-section and vaginal birth?

• This is going to be long, but I've had several different experiences that might prove insightful for you.
    I had a c/s with DD1 because of failure to progress. My water broke on a Thursday evening and they ended up taking her Saturday afternoon, after I passed out from my epidural being too high. My recovery was super easy. I got constipated from the pain killers, so I just took regular Motrin for a few days after coming home.
    I VBAC'd with DS, but it almost ended up in a c/s. He was nearly 9 lbs and I'm small, so he got stuck. They vacuumed him out after 3 hrs of pushing. Thank God I had an epidural! I had a second degree tear (apparently, all vacuumed women have tears?), couldn't sit for 6 weeks, and had no control over my bowels for 2 weeks and bladder for months. I should've gone to PT.
    This is where my story gets better. When I got pregnant with DD2, I knew I had to do everything in my power to make it a better birthing experience. I hired a doula, which was the best thing ever-well worth the $1200. I also did hypnobabies home study. I think it really helped keep me relaxed during the pregnancy and during labor. My water broke in the evening, had an aggressive exam by my OB the next morning to kickstart contrax, got to the hospital at about 7:30pm in transition, labored in the tub for a while while my OB was trying to manually move my uterus forward, but it was my doula who moved it with different positioning. After 2 pushes on the birthing stool (which I highly recommend!), she was out. My OB wasn't evened gloved and had to dive to catch her. Two hours after her birth, I got up to go to the bathroom and, absentmindedly, grabbed toilet paper to wipe. I had no pain whatsoever. I didn't even feel like I had had a baby. I had no recovery period.
    For any future pregnancies, I plan to do hypnobabies, hire my doula (she might know about the pregnancy before I even tell DH!), and skip the epidural again. FWIW, I didn't think I'd be able to go without the epidural, but I surprised myself with my own strength.
  • I went vaginal, c/s, then vbac. I had an episiotomy with my 1st vaginal birth back when everyone was pro-cutting rather than tearing which then lead to an awful infection and several years of pain. I still had pain in the area and was so scared of giving birth again that I had an elective c/s for my 2nd. Worst idea ever. I hated it. I hated being in pain coming home and having to take care of 2 kids plus me. I hated that I was so out of it and barely able to keep my eyes open post surgery when my #1 met the baby. I hated that my DH left me on the table to get sewed up while he went with the baby to the nursery. There's a big pattern of hate LOL.
    My vbac, no episiotomy, went flawlessly. I felt like I could run a 5k the next day. I was alert and with it as my kids met one another and my DH was at my side the whole time. I would definitely recommend trying for one
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm interested too, although not pregnant will be some day and so worried about the complications. Had emergency c/s with DS because I wouldn't progress after water breaking and heart rate going down. Feel like having another cs to not go through a scare again but it def was harder recovery I'm sure...... scared of hemorrhaging as well with vbac also scared of going through labor again just to end in cs.
  • Put me in the interested once pregnant club. Had an emergency C/S with Aiden because he was a surprise breech baby (don't get me started on that one). My OB has already said I'd be a perfect candidate for it when the time comes. Recovery from the actual C/S wasn't that bad, since I'd had abdominal surgery before, but I'd really like to be able to hold my baby right away next time instead of waiting to be closed up.

• @eireyes‌ - Google natural c-section video. This was part of my birth plan if we ended up with a c/s. The OBs that work with my doula are very supportive of it.
  • And again, I highly recommend hiring a doula because mine was able to get my contrax going, keep them coming and move my uterus from its very posterior position. She'd assisted in over 100 births and knew what I needed at each stage (ie warm perineum compresses, birthing tub being nice and hot, calming music, led candles in the bathroom instead of the overhead light, birthing stool, took over for DH when he needed a break). All of these things I would not have had without her, but looking back, they all played a huge part in the success of my VBAC.
  • I was last minute considering a doula with DS, but put the plan on hold when we found out he was breech at 32w waiting to see if he'd flip.  Part of my nervousness for trying a VBAC stems from the fact that I never labored with DS, so I'd have all the nerves and fears of a FTM going into labor.  I bet a good doula could help me with coping with that anxiety.  

I'm with PPs though, I don't want to labor, have a c-section anyway, and then come home to a newborn and a 15-16 month old having to recover from both.    

Thank you ladies for the excellent responses - have definitely given me a lot to think about!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited January 2015
    Definitely learning a lot here. I ended up with an unscheduled c-section after having to be induced due to high BP and a failed non-stress test. 24 hours later, finally got an epi, and LO's heart rate dropped. Backed off the epi and just wasn't progressing and LO's heart rate was scary. So, unplanned c-section, here we come! After all of that, I figured we would plan a RCS if/when baby #2 comes, but this is making me think again... Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.
  • Thanks for sharing your stories ladies.  I have no idea what I should do.  I had my first baby nearly 18 years ago (at the young age of 18 myself) vaginally, but it took a while to push, and the doctor used forceps and a vacumn.  2nd baby, 3 years ago, I labored through the 10 cms of dialation, just to have babies heart rate drop when pushing, and we were rushed into Emergent Csection.  I have a scheduled csection this go around for 39 weeks, but I am very worried about recovery and wanting to make sure not too much changes for my 3 year old.  I have no idea if I am too small to deliver, have a narrow passageway, which makes it difficult?  I definitely don't want to labor through everything, just to have a csection again.  That sucked. 

Ugh, such a tough decision.  Doc and I did agree that if I go into natural labor before the scheduled date, that we may try the VBAC route. 

Tisha, Mom to DD Taylor 16 years old, DS Trevor 18 months old, and one on the way  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"