December 2014 Moms
Options

Leaving baby overnight

When was the first time you left your baby overnight? Our parents are offering to take our LO for a night so we can get some sleep, but I'm not sure when that would be appropriate. He is 5 weeks and still up every couple hours, so I will definitely wait a couple weeks.

Re: Leaving baby overnight

• Options
    Can't they spend a night at your place and do it that way? I found that helpful when my Mom came over and took LO overnight. I had pumped enough BM for her for the night, but I could only sleep for 4 hours. That was one of the best sleeps ever.
  • Options
    With DS1 it was probably around 5 or 6 months and he was sleeping through the night so he only missed 2 nursing sessions (bed time and morning).
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Due to medical emergency, our LO was left with grandparents overnight at 4 days old.  Our oldest didn't sleep over anywhere until we had LO.  MW thinks that we may had let DS sleep over before that but we can't recall.

• Options
    If my baby didn't BF or would take a bottle I would have no problem letting my mom watch her for the night. You can always try it. If it doesn't work for you or your baby you can go pick him up. Take advantage of the help.
  • Options
    If you're bf-ing, you're going to have to get up probably twice to pump anyway, no?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Even though my kid sleeps for 6-7 hr stretches now I still don't want him staying over anywhere. I'm not even prepared to leave him for a night out with someone other than dh. It's actually a bigger pain in the ass to ensure I pump so I'd rather be around. In a couple of weeks when LO is 2 months I think dh and I will leave baby with sister in law and have a dinner out.
  • Options
    I've never felt comfortable leaving my kids overnight until they are close to 2 years old. It's mostly because our parents aren't the most on top of their game and they believe all the "old school" parenting practices that I'm not okay with. If I had people I trusted, I would be okay with sleepovers around 6 months but probably not before that. It really is a personal choice, though!
  • Options
    My Mom stayed with us for two weeks after our LO was born and comes over once every week so she knows the baby real well and I trust my Mom completely.  She offered to take her one night last weekend and five weeks and I was considering it, but I just don't feel comfortable right now.  I'd miss her too much and even though I trust my Mom I would worry.  
    It's a GIRL!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With our firstborn my mom came to my house to help out. She took my son for a few nights when she came. I didn't let him go to her house without me until he was about 6 months.... and then I missed him terribly.
    Not surprisingly she hasn't offered to look after the twins for me at night. Ha!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My parents are watching my dude on Friday (in light of my 6-week appt). I trust my mom implicitly... But wouldn't be ready for him to stay over with my hubby's parents yet. We have had a few short evenings out in preparation. I'm sure I'll wake up in a panic... But if I get too worried or anxious, he will only be a short drive away.

We are planning a trip to visit some schools for my hubby in April, so we will be away for 5 nights. I need to get the practice in now.
  • Options
    The reason that MW's parents had our DD at four days old was that MW was in the hospital after going into anaphalatic shock and I figured staying with her to make sure that she was recovering was more important especially the hospital was not allowing non patients under 14 in.

• Options
    I left lo with my mil overnight at 4 weeks. She offered, knowing that she would be up a few times. I pumped at 11 when I went to bed, and woke up at 6 and pumped and went back to sleep. It was longer than I would usually go between feedings, but not by much. Lo was great and slept fine. They live only 20 minutes from us, so I figured worst case I could have gone and picked her up. It was a great night, although it was very strange being away from her!
  • Options
    I think it would be find to leave LO overnight with your parents. It's a really nice thing for them to do, they're family and they raised you! It sounds like you need that sleep. IMO it would be great for you to get some rest so you can be the best parents you can be!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"