1st Trimester

Your best headache solutions

I can handle the constant nausea, but the headaches are making me feel like I want to die.  I don't remember this the last two pregnancies, so anyone got some great headache solutions?  Anything.  Tylenol isn't working, caffeine isn't working, my essential oils aren't working.  I'll try anything and everything you throw at me.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Your best headache solutions

• Ah, I see the Bump is still as crappy as can be when it comes to updating your signature.  Plus it's had me log in about 12 times.  Why did I stay away so long ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Showers & a heating pad on my head for a few mins have helped me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Try a warm Epsom salt bath. I take one for at least 20 min once a week to detox. Any time I have a headache it seems to help. I have also put an ice pack on the back of my neck while in a warm bath to relieve headaches.
  • I swear by Biofreeze on the temples and back of the neck. I also keep two eye masks in the fridge (not the freezer!) and use those either on my eyes or on my forehead. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have suffered from migraines since I was 16 and had them so badly during my pregnancy that I couldn't sleep. The pain was so unbearable that she gave me fioricet which took the edge off and we also tried Tylenol 3.
    Speak to your OB about it and see what if anything prescribed would be beneficial. The Tylenol 3 worked better for me than the Fioricet but like I said the pain and frequency (4-5 times a week) of my headaches made the decision best for me.
    They are both category C meaning there is no proof it causes harm to human babies but there have been reports of adverse effects in animal fetuses but potential benefits warrant the use in pregnant women.
    Like I said it's between you and your OB whether the benefits out way the risks.
    For the record I now have a perfectly happy and healthy 2 year old. I hope you get some relief mama!
  • I'm a migraine sufferer and with my previous two pregnancies, they basically went away. I've had three migraines lasting about 3 days each so far with this pregnancy. Caffeine and Tylenol do nothing for them :(. I've heard snorting a few grains of cayenne works or drinking lemon juice, but I have yet to try these remedies.
  • Whenever I get a headache I try to lay in a dark room with a cold compress on my forehead.  It often does the trick!
  • Lay in a dark room with cold or hot compression on your forehead. Naps! Baths! I've had a headache for about a week and I'm dying!
  • ChadenlawChadenlaw member
    edited January 2015
    Check out this site for 21 remedies for the migraine and headache sufferer!  A bunch of them has worked for me in the past.  For me natural remedies are best.  I don't like taking meds for anything!

• I tried so many different options for headaches, this time is so much worse than with my first child, and finally caved in and asked the doctor for a solution and he prescribed me Fioricet, its a miracle and works SO well!! 
  • I don't drink caffeine really ever, so I like a half cup of REAL coffee followed by a power nap!
  • Ask your OB for Fioricet.  I don't know what I'd do without it.  It's category C but as long as you don't abuse it, it's fine.

I find laying down with an ice pack helps.  Also recently I discovered a heating pad works too.

A few months ago I started taking 400 mg of B2 and 500 mg of magnesium daily.  My migraines went from 6 days a week to 1-2 migraines a month.
  • My neurologist recommended a chiropractor and that seems to have helped. Lots of ladies have recommended it for pregnancy symptoms in general too. Good luck!
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Ginger tea worked for me. Here is a good article about how to relieve headaches during pregnancy without taking medication https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/headaches-during-pregnancy/faq-20058265
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"