September 2014 Moms
Options

Books about sleeping recommendations

My dd is not a bad sleeper, but she could be more consistent with her nights. She ranges from 4-6 hours. We turn 4 months tuesday and many say that 4 months is when real patterns and schedules can start. I would love to get her on the longer schedule as I am a full time working mom with a husband that travels a lot for work so I'm on my own. People recommend reading books about sleeping but I don't even know where to begin to find a good one. Any suggestions.

Re: Books about sleeping recommendations

• Options
    My DS is also a good sleeper but just needed a bit of help with night waking and being rocked to sleep. We really liked Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Dr. Ferber. It was the only book I read that I could relate to. It describes our sleep patterns exactly and really helped me to understand what was wrong with our current habits and how to change! I hated Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child and The Happiest Baby on the Block seemed to be tailored more towards extremely fussy babies.
  • Options
    I highly recommend the sleep training method in "Moms on Call Basic Baby Care: 0-6 Months." The eat/play/sleep schedule had our LO regularly STTN by 8-10 weeks old. Now she sleeps 11 hours without waking. The methods in Happiest Baby on the Block helped a lot in the newborn days before she could self-soothe, but it's the Moms on Call schedule that really had her STTN.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second Ferber's book, but I won't let C cry-it-out until closer to 6 months.   Ferber's book is good because it talks a lot about sleep patterns, routines and associations.  Good advice and information to know, even if you don't think cry it out is for you.  It also helps you figure out of CIO will fix the sleep issues your child has.  If your child is waking hungry and is actually eating, then sleep training (no matter what method) is going to cut out nighttime feedings for a hungry baby.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    reading more than one can be helpful. you might find you have a different opinion than PPs, so don't throw out a book before trying it. i find it helps to read different approaches and then see what works best for your family in the end.

ferber, weissbluth (healthy sleep habits, happy child), happiest baby on the block...
    try searching a site like amazon and see what comes up, including reviews and rec's

there are also websites like troublesome tots. GL.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Good topic as there are so many books on the topic!  Looking forward to seeing more suggestions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sleepeasy Solution & Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"