December 2014 Moms

Panic Attacks

I am almost 5 weeks postpartum and having been fighting off panic attacks. Does anyone know what happens to your hormones at 4 weeks postpartum? Wondering what is going on with my hormones right now. The sleep deprivation is not helping either. My neck/back/chest are a mess from poor posture while breastfeeding and I am achy and tense which leads me to worry about a heart attack it some other event that would take me away from my baby. This is more of a vent, but at 2am I'm not sure who else to "talk" to.

Re: Panic Attacks

• I don't have any advice other than to say I've been dealing with the same thing . My lo is 5w2d but I think my anxiety stems from all my help leaving and I have to take care of her on my own. The sleep part is a huge issue for me. Hopefully it gets better for both of us!
  • I've been having major anxiety (for about a week and a half now) as well and had a panic attack while driving the other day. LO is 7w 4d. I know I should talk to my dr tomorrow about it at my post partum visit but I'm nervous because I feel like his job is to deal with my vagina not my feelings lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Glad I'm not alone. Is your anxiety health related or just overwhelmed with life changes?
  • paigep8 said:

Glad I'm not alone. Is your anxiety health related or just overwhelmed with life changes?

I honestly don't know. My mom has anxiety and I have had issues with depression in the past so it could be health related, but I have never sought help from medical professionals about it so I couldn't really confirm that. But my anxiety that I'm having right now is going much deeper than just day to day worries so it's kind of consuming me. A friend said it could be a sign of post partum depression but I don't feel depressed really, I just feel panicked and worried and scared. I'm sure hormones dropping have something to do with it. But I don't know.
  • @arynras‌ ory‌ I found that my ob was so much more helpful than my regular doctor.
  • Post partum anxiety is just as real and serious as post partum depression. Please, please talk to your doctor about this!!
  • Talk to your doctor!!! PPA/PPD are serious issues that can easily spiral out of control very quickly. Internet strangers can't help that. Your doctor can.
  • You talk to your OB about this? Not a mental health professional? I just don't know who to tell I guess.
  • I've talked to all 3. The ob knew more about it transferring to breast milk than the others
  • BK0186 said:

I've talked to all 3. The ob knew more about it transferring to breast milk than the others

How did you bring it up? I just feel awkward being like "oh hey by the way I think I'm having depression and anxiety" if he doesn't ask about it.
  • Not sure about the connection between PPD and anxiety but I would also seek out a cardiologist just to be safe since your body goes through a lot of changes during pregnancy. For the aches and pains from breastfeeding, go to a chiropractor. Mine has given me such relief. I don't know what I would do without him.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• thabs52thabs52 member
    edited January 2015
    *Lurker here!

I have been having some Anxiety and Panic issues as well since having my DD 6 weeks ago.  Definitely not PPD but for sure not feeling myself. I talk to my Husband about it all the time to work through it when I am feeling like I can't calm myself down.  If i can't talk to my husband I will call my sister too.  I have an appointment to speak with a Mental health professional that does a lot of work with PP women.  I would look into that if you can as well it never hurts to go speak with a professional they may be able to help with the best way to manage these feelings!  Good Luck!
  • BK0186BK0186 member
    edited January 2015
    @arynras‌ I called and set up an appointment just for that. It is so common that it really wasn't a big deal. I honestly really like my ob office and felt nothing but support from them. They had me fill out some questions, and determined I met the criteria for it. I would just straight up tell them, it's you that's suffering and it can be so much better.

I would also search your insurance company and find someone to talk to. That's the biggest help.
  • BK0186 said:

@arynras‌ I called and set up an appointment just for that. It is so common that it really wasn't a big deal. I honestly really like my ob office and felt nothing but support from them. They had me fill out some questions, and determined I met the criteria for it. I would just straight up tell them, it's you that's suffering and it can be so much better.

I would also search your insurance company and find someone to talk to. That's the biggest help.

I talked to my dr yesterday and he prescribed me an anti depressant. I'm scared to take it though for fear it's going to make things worse. But we'll see. I'm gonna look into my insurance for a mental health professional nearby too. Thanks.
  • I had/have the same fear. I'll be honest my thoughts and feelings today are not in a good spot. I've been struggling with this for a few weeks and it's so hard. I just hope the meds will take a little off so I can be happy again.
  • Please check with your doc before taking anything. My nurse/midwife suggested lemon balm tea and mother wort tincture for anxiety and they really worked for me.
  • I may not currently be having this problem but I have endured anxiety/panic disorder and a little bit of depression my whole life. My mom has also struggled with it and hers came on post partum after me. She didn't know what was going on and no one told her to seek help and she ended up agoraphobic for a short period. Listen to other women when they say to seek your doctors guidance! The benefits of medication outweigh the risk of not taking it and you will know if you need a different medication (also do not be afraid to call doctor immediately if you suspect it is making you feel weird)! Getting this under control quickly is the key and then you are able to work through it better with a clear head. I have been prescribed medicine through my general practitioner and my OB/GYN in the past so do not be afraid to talk to them! They are here to walk alongside you during times like this. :smile: You ladies can do this! :smile:
  • jesscvr22 said:
    Post partum anxiety is just as real and serious as post partum depression. Please, please talk to your doctor about this!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • arynras said:
    I've talked to all 3. The ob knew more about it transferring to breast milk than the others
    How did you bring it up? I just feel awkward being like "oh hey by the way I think I'm having depression and anxiety" if he doesn't ask about it.
    it's not as if you're hanging out with your doctor to have tea and catch up about the weather or something. they are there for you to discuss your health with. it doesn't matter how you bring it up, or if it seems like an awkward question to you - it won't seem awkward to them. they are getting paid big bucks to deal with this stuff, and they see much more "awkward" stuff on a highly regular basis. suck it up.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am 6 weeks postpartum and just had my check up last week. I have had a bit of anxiety, but I didn't plan to bring it up...nothing that I'm too concerned about....but it was the first thing my OB asked about. I think it is a major part of their follow-up! Don't be afraid to discuss it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"