C-sections
Options

c-section gone bad

Hello everyone! .. I had a unplanned csection , and my incision never really healed properly. I now am 4 weeks PP and the incision has got a gaping 1.5cm hole in it , I guess from doing too much during my healing phase. I now have an infection and am on a low does of antibiotics. I also have to get the hole packed and bandaged up everyday!  Is anyone experiencing / experienced this before ? what helps ? docs will not stitch back up because it can become abscessed.

Re: c-section gone bad

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I had the same thing.  I thought the hole would never close, and would weep clear fluid.  I ended up with a yeast infection along the incision line which also had to be treated from all the moisture coming out.  Don't worry....it will heal eventually.  I know it stinks (literally and figuratively at least for me!).  I didn't have any of this with my first one, but the second was exactly like yours.  I was even on IV antibiotics at home due to infection.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    I had a similar situation with mine. It opened in the middle and on the left side. Took 2 months to fully close. I know it seems like it'll never close, but it will! The packing thing they do really helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened with DS in 2011, around 5 weeks PP I noticed a bump, it then started draining from a small hole. My OB had to open the layer of skin on my incision to clean it out. My husband then had to pack it for 3 months until it closed. I was also on antibiotics for 2 months. I'm having another csection in September and that is my worst fear is for that to happen again. It is definitely inconvenient so I feel for you and now how it is. I hope you heal quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CharmedseedCharmedseed member
    edited April 2015
    I have the exact same problem, cause by a hematoma when (apparently) there was still a bleed going when they closed me up. It's been three weeks of extra pain and a few scary ER visits. We didn't really feel informed about the dehiscence.

We're now packing it with wicking gauze every other day and it's healing quickly. I just wish they'd gotten to it sooner.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
  • Options
    I also had this with my first c section, luckily is never got infected. But I had to go in every week for a month to get it packed. Not fun at all! I am scheduled for a repeat c section in three weeks and I am hoping for a smoother recovery this time!