September 2015 Moms
Options

MTHFR, Factor 5

Anyone else have MTHFR or Factor 5 mutations? Interested in what supplements you're taking.

I'm taking organic prenatal with 800mg folate, lovenox, baby aspirin, folgard and dha (non fish). I'm torn about folgard being synthetic but RE insists.

Re: MTHFR, Factor 5

• Options
    Haven't been diagnosed with it but my sister and Dad have the mutations so as a precaution I'm taking Thorne Basic Prenatal. They have methofolate instead of the synthetic stuff. My sister's naturopath who treats her for MTHFR recommended them.
  • Options
    I have both MTHFR and Factor 5. I'm just taking my prescribed prenatal with DHA and Arixtra (same as Lovenox). In my last pregnancy, I went into platelet induced thrombosis and had my babe 6 weeks early because it turned out I was allergic to lovenox/heparin the entire time. Apparently it only really affected me when I switched to Heparin near the end. Did your OB and/or hematologist suggest other supplements? Mine didn't mention anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have MTHFR.

I also take Thorne Prenatal. With that I am taking 5-mthf, vitamin b-12, vitamin D-5000, DHEA, and coQ10. I am also on thyroid meds and take baby asprin. You could say it's a lot to swallow!
  • Options
    @lcarp203‌ I was taking DHEA and coq10 but those were for egg quality and I was instructed by my RE to stop those once pregnant since we already have fertilized the egg. He said also they aren't approved for pregnancy. Do you feel they are still helping you? I'm curious why the extra b and d if you already have bioavailable forms in your prenatal? I've been afraid to over do it and have just stuck with the vitamins in my prenatal.

@cgrutza The platelet issue you had- was that thrombocytopenia? My hematologist had me come in after 2 weeks of blood thinners to check for that which she explained was an allergic reaction. I'm hoping that screening is designed to prevent what you went through. Are you on blood thinners this time around?

Did you ladies have losses previously? I've heard mthfr can contribute. I've had 3 and have one child.

I'm so torn with what to do with the prescription strength synthetic folic acid. I've questioned my RE about the idea that I can't digest so why take it. He has said the bioavailable forms of folate are not FDA approved so he can't prescribe bc there's no guarantee what your getting. And he's had success using the synthetic with ppl who had MTHFR. All the reading I've done says it won't help, but I'm torn over the guilt of ignoring my dr (stop taking it) and something bad happening. So I take it and organic prenatal with 800mg folate and eat a lot of folate rich foods. But I'm afraid the high doses of synthetic folic acid could be actually bad for me? Thoughts?

Did you ladies have your homocysteine levels checked?

Sorry for the ramble. I'm still processing all the MTHFR ramifications.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"