Pregnant after 35

Pregnancy advice

So some mentioned I should post some advice because I have been around this block more than once or twice...or a whole lot more than that!  So here are a few things that come to my mind regarding pregnancy:

1.  ENJOY IT.  sure I know there are aches and pains and all sorts of discomforts etc.  But really it is a very special time.  You will be the only one ever pregnant with this baby.  You will be the only one to ever know what it feels like when this baby has hiccups in your womb or exactly how they wiggle about in there.  Its such a short time in the whole span of life.  There is always a chance that this could be your only or your last pregnancy even if right now your plan differently.  Even in the last days when its normal to be a little anxious about when you will actually deliver...still enjoy those final moments of pregnancy.  This could be the last hiccups you feel or the last time you see a little foot protruding out from your belly. 

2.  ACCEPT ANY HELP/ASSISTANCE/SPECIAL TREATMENT.  If someone wants to give you their seat or load your groceries into your cart for you or shovel your drive or whatever....go ahead and accept it.  I am used to having to do everything for myself and I used to always graciously refuse such special treatment from friends or strangers...but now I realize such assistance is short lived.  Once you are not pregnant you sort of disappear again.  Let yourself be a little spoiled! (of course if a stranger offers some sort of help that just feels off or weird, go with your gut instinct...there are weirdos out there!)

3.  BUY A GOING HOME OUTFIT FOR YOURSELF. Trust me, you will be very pregnant looking a couple days after you have your baby.  Most things you wore pre pregnancy will either not even fit on your body or will fit you so much different than you are used to that you might feel very uncomfortable in it.  A few times I have bought myself a very forgiving fitting outift to pack in my hospital bag for going home.  It was a little more special than wearing my old maternity clothes and I was able to wear it in the weeks post birth for things like dr appointment and if I got visitors etc.  It just made me feel a bit better.

4.  Make a list of fun interesting things to do if you go past your due date.  Do one or two a day.  Having something to do everyday makes you feel less like you are just sitting around waiting for something to happen.  It gives you something fun to look forward to each day rather than feeling like its just another day to wait.  I have always gone past my due date. the shortest times have been 5 days over...the longest was 14 days.

5.  Keep your weight gain reasonable.  I know its really fun to go the "I am pregnant I am going to live it up " route and get a little crazy with eating.  Maybe even more so if you plan on breastfeeding because its commonly regarded as helping people to lose weight.  For me, however, I found that my eating habits became just that, a habit.  Habits are hare to break.  Post delivery I had a hard time returning to pre pregnancy eating habits.  Also, a warning on breastfeeding and weight loss....The first couple babies my weight literally melted away.  by 6 weeks post partum I was my pre pregnancy size. I even became thinner than ever after my first and second babies.  WIth my 3rd my weight was a bit more sluggish coming off.  By the 4th and beyond it was more like a struggle.  Many of my friends who have a lot of children report the same.  I have read before that the first few times you breast feed it sort of shocks your metabolism.  After a few times your metabolism sort of catches on to the routine and adjusts.  So don't be too shocked if you are having your 3rd or 4th or more and your baby weight isn't dropping so quickly.

6.  Stay active.  My labor and deliveries have always been pretty good.  I credit a lot to keeping very active during pregnancy.  So keep doing moderate exercises.  Don't be afraid to rake your lawn or shovel snow even in your final weeks of pregnancy.  (of course for some people this may not be wise follow your drs advice).  Keep your muscles strong and your body limber!

Re: Pregnancy advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"