Working Moms

Questions to Ask- Touring Daycares

Hello! I am new here!

I am sorry to post a question on my first post here-I literally became a Working Mom overnight.  My husband and I recently adopted a newborn (a perfect little boy), with about 2 weeks notice.  I am currently on leave from work, but am playing catch up to try to find a daycare that has openings and is reasonably priced, and a safe clean environment.

I am touring a few places next week. Do you have any suggestion about questions I can ask?  TIA!

"Even miracles take a little time"

Re: Questions to Ask- Touring Daycares

• Congrats to you!

A few important things to us when we were looking:
    Location (close to home vs close to work)
    Security
    Hours
    Sick policy
    Vacation
    Time spent outside
    Any sort of curriculum?
    Ratios

Pay attention to the older rooms because he will be there before you know it. Things like outside time or curriculum aren't so important now, but will be. You really will just have a feel for the place as soon as you walk in though. Go with your gut!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Agree with @ccam....we knew right when we walked in which center would be best for DS.  Security is a big one for me. Also also ask about their food/bottle policy. Will they heat food up? Do you have to send bottles premade? Are you allowed to send in outside food once they reach the toddler room, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Aside from the suggestions above, you really have to trust your gut. 

I just toured an alternative daycare for DS.  We're moving soon and this one is closer to our new home.  I was shocked at how dirty everything was, from the floors to the sinks to the toys.  And the room he would be in seemed way to small for 15 3 year olds.  They could have answered all of my questions "right" and I still wouldn't send my DS there.  It skeeved me out, and made me appreciate the cleanliness of our current daycare.

Also, ask about teacher tenure.  All of the teachers at this alternative daycare were very, very young.  I would hope to see a mix of young and tenured teachers.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Ask about teacher turnover as well. How long has everyone been there. Our daycare, for example, has staff that have been there for anywhere from 3-13 years. They don't have much turnover, which is awesome.
  • With an infant that young I would want to know all of the above, and also what the day looks like for infants in the center. How much tummy time do they get? Are they left in bouncy seats/swings/etc. for much of the day? How do they keep babies safe around busy toddlers (if mixed age group)? Some daycares even have curriculum for infants, so it is definitely worth asking about it. For us (I work in a childcare and bring my baby with me) the curriculum is planned to meet goals around children's development. We have plans that incorporate fine motor, gross motor, social/emotional, language/literacy.
  • What a great story - congratulations!  

Aside from things like the infant-teacher ration and reading reviews online, I definitely think you'll get a 'feeling' for the place which will tell you a lot.  Do the daycare workers look happy?  Do the kids look happy?  Is the place clean?  What are their inclement weather policies (we have TONS of snow days, and I can't stay home from work for every single one of them).  What is their sickness policy?  Will they honor your child's food choices (e.g. will they heat up bottles/food, etc.) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for your wonderful advice!!

"Even miracles take a little time"

• Hi.  Choosing a daycare is nerve wrecking!  I'm currently switching to a 3rd daycare, so I'm going to give you a list of things I think you should look out for.

First, you have to decide if you want an in-home daycare or a daycare center.  We first decided to go with an in-home daycare because we felt our baby would get a more homy feel in someone's home rather than an institution.  This is relative since at the in-home daycares I've had my children in, they have a mix of big kids and babies.... well this is a big problem since there are too many kids around and your baby will get sick throughout the entire winter. Also, the ratio of teacher to children is way more than at a center.  Even though she has a helper, it still seems like they're overstretched.  The TV always tends to be on as well.  My son became a little couch potato.

How do they handle bottles?  Do you have to bring all bottles ready, or can you just leave a bottle at daycare along with a can of formula and they'll take care of it throughout the day?  Getting bottles ready are a pain in the rear.

Do they follow a curriculum?  That's another reason why we're switching too... without a curriculum, there is only care-taking and the kids aren't learning anything.  My son has a speech delay and he's not improving at all, especially if he spends all day playing or watching TV.

What do they feed the kids?  I've been very disappointed in my old daycare on what they fed the kids.  Toaster struddle, fruit loops, lots of syrup... candy... yeah, no.  That's one of the reasons we're switching.

How clean is the carpet where babies crawl? How safe is the area?  At my current daycare everyone comes in through the living room where the carpet is.  Well, it is not the cleanest since it is the main walk way in.  I don't want my baby crawling on that carpet.  Not only that, the room is small and I would hate for her to get stepped on.

What is their closing policy?  My first daycare had 2 weeks off vacation, plus 8 holidays, plus 5 personal days = That's 23 paid days! Plus they followed the school schedule.  Here in Maryland, schools close at the first sign of a snow flake.... and she would close leaving me with no care for my kid and I still had to pay her! That year we had 9 snow days! 23, just became 32 paid days off!  I only get 14 at my job!  My current daycare didn't close but for major holidays, she always had a substitute if she needed to take a vacation or go to a dr. appt. As far as snow, if I could get my kids to her, she was open! My next daycare has 1 week vacation and major holidays plus 2 personal days.   I think that's a happy medium.

Do they provide food?  At both of my last daycares, they provided all the food. At my next daycare, I have to provide their lunch.

How often do they go outside? 
    Is the TV on?  At my next daycare there is no TV in sight!  yay.
    Are there late fees?  What happens if you get stuck in traffic and can't get there in time?  My old daycares didn't charge extra, but my next daycare charges $5 for each 5 minutes.  My co-worker's kid's daycare charges $20/ minute!
    Do they help with potty training?  That's a big one!

I can't think of anything else right now, but just go with your gut and VISIT THE BATHROOM!  Chances are, if they keep the bathroom clean, all else will be clean too. 

Good luck, and congrats on your new bundle of joy :)

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but wanted to say congrats! I was adopted myself and know what a blessing you will be for this young life. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"