LGBT Parenting
Options

Question

What do you feel is the biggest change after your first pregnancy?

i feel like I've been focusing on the pregnancy and the delivery so much that i havent thought about this much lately.  
Married 9~20~13
L- 34 M- 29
First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Question

• Options
    No "me" time/lack of discretionary time. What did I used to do after work when I didn't have someone who needed to be fed, played with, and put to bed??? Did I go out? Lounge on the couch? I can't remember!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Honestly, everything. I wouldn't have believed it if anyone tried to tell me how much would change, but everything changes in a way that there is no way you could comprehend before it happens. 

If you mean physically, I would say not much after the initial recovery. Except that I always thought it was ridiculous that people confused gas bubbles with fetal movement. Since M was born I can see how that happens. There have been times that I would swear there was still a baby moving around in there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think for me, the change in mindset that my only/#1 job initially especially was to care for my baby. This meant everything else comes second - EVERYTHING.

However, those first few months babies are very portable - I would still meet friends for coffee, lunch and walks, because it was easy. Now at 5 months she is so much more squirmy and of course once we reach crawl/walk mobility, it'll be worse - instead of eating out now I just invite people over. It's so much easier with her toys/vessels/goods here. But that also means I don't get out much right now!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    JGYJGY member

Yup, everything.

Since I've always been the primary caretaker, what changed the most for me was the complete lack of ANY personal time.  Running a quick errand became a huge outing that needed a plan, and some things were just impossible for me to be able to do (clothes shopping, for example).

Also, my life revolves around daycare drop-off and pick-up.  There is no "Hey I'll be a little late tonight" for me. 

In my case, I also had to change jobs.  I had naively thought that I would be able to continue on at my last job (which required a lot of flexibility in time, and quite a bit of travel).  NO WAY.  There was literally NO WAY I could have kept that job.

All of the above reads a lot like "Poor me" but it's not really.  Sure, I might like the occasional 2 hour stretch to go get my haircut or window shop, but in reality I cherish the time spent with my kiddo far more than any of the freedoms that I took for granted before.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    I agree with all that's been said above. My relationships with people have also changed. I've really begun to gravitate toward people who also have kids. Understanding the crazy hours, lack of sleep, funny stories and a willingness to meet for dinner at 5pm instead of 8pm is a huge plus.  Not that I don't have single/child-free friends still but I see them only occasionally. 

Also how much I would just love everything in my life and how its changed. I thought I'd sulk more about giving up travel, or buying new clothes - but really it doesn't mean what it used too. I know the time of having young kids is short. There's plenty of time when I'll have kids but they'll be more independent and although part of me can't wait - part of me is so grateful to enjoy the sweet, exhausting, cuddly, exasperating moments I have now.
  • Options

All the important stuff has already been said, so I will add a few silly things...

* If you didn't already cry over Tide and car insurance commercials, you will now!

* You will do more laundry in 1 day than you used to do in 1 week.

* Small personal accomplishments (like showering, fixing your hair, sending ONE email) will feel like major milestones in the early days. Celebrate those milestones. And cut yourself slack if you put the crackers in the refrigerator and the milk in the cabinet.

* Oh, and be prepared to love another human in a way you never though possible. Take your expectations for how much you will love your baby and multiply that by a thousand, then you will be close to how it feels. BUT if you don't feel like that the second they put baby on your chest, do NOT beat yourself up of feel badly, mama. Everyone is different. Just take every moment as it comes! :)

You will do a great job - can't wait to meet your LO sooooo soon! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    Except that I always thought it was ridiculous that people confused gas bubbles with fetal movement. Since M was born I can see how that happens. There have been times that I would swear there was still a baby moving around in there. 
    Yes, me too!  I was surprised by this.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"